Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Just watched an old edition of Top Of The Pops from 1994 on BBC4. Morrissey was on it performing "The more you ignore me..." He's singing live but good job the music recorded as Alain and Mark Day are the only guitarists on stage.

Appearing immediately before them was Inspiral Carpets with Mark E. Smith. I would love to have been a fly on the wall if they'd bumped into each other backstage.

Just watched an old edition of Top Of The Pops from 1994 on BBC4. Morrissey was on it performing "The more you ignore me..." He's singing live but good job the music recorded as Alain and Mark Day are the only guitarists on stage.

Appearing immediately before them was Inspiral Carpets with Mark E. Smith. I would love to have been a fly on the wall if they'd bumped into each other backstage.
Gary Day

Shoplifterromo writes:

Smiths referenced on CBS comedy

During Thursday’s episode of “Young Sheldon,” on CBS and set in the ‘90s, The Smiths were mentioned while two characters were discussing music.

After failing to strike up a conversation around sports, George, Sheldon’s older brother, asked an awkward guest if he liked music.

The self-described abstract painter, wearing an oversized yellow sweater, quickly replied “Yeah, The Smiths.”

George answered “I don’t know them. Guns N’ Roses?”

The guest snarked back “corporate rock sellouts.”

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Moby (NME, 10 Feb '23)​

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz an artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: the musician, songwriter and documentarian takes the ultimate test... Moby...

Morrissey also asked you to work with him in 2000. What do you think your collaboration would have sounded like?

“He came up to me backstage at The Greek Theatre in LA and asked me to produce some music for his next album. But, again, I was on tour, so I couldn’t do anything apart from be hungover and live in airports. I love that first ‘The Smiths’ album, so I would probably have tried to return to some of that dreamier sound with him...”

A lot of this news is neither strange nor unexpected. Perhaps a new category is required; maybe a weekly front page miscellany or something?

American Songwriter's Top Ten Music-inspired Valentine's Day Card suggestions include The Smiths:

9. I love The Smiths Greeting Card

“There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” is the ultimate lovesong for indie rock/post-punk enthusiasts. It’s one of those songs that brings people together at a bar or karaoke. To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die is one of those lyrics that sticks with you forever. The Queen is Dead is a 10/10, and so is your partner. So gift this to your favorite Morrissey or Johnny Marr fan this week to make them feel special. Feel free to gift a Smiths fan a vinyl copy of this record as well.
Screen-Shot-2023-02-08-at-10.44.21-AM.png

The rest at https://americansongwriter.com/valentines-day-card-for-music-lovers/

Yes, I watched that as well. It was an
Exclusive ie it wasn’t in the charts just yet. The Dj introduced Moz, saying this man hasn’t been on top of the pops for years. This got me thinking ....
When was Moz last on top of the pops... and with which song?

Could it have been Pregnant for the last time, about 2 years earlier?

That was a great performance. Alain giving it full Elvis '68 Comeback Special mode.

Gary and Moz looking and sounding great. No idea where Boz was.

Yes, I watched that as well. It was an
Exclusive ie it wasn’t in the charts just yet. The Dj introduced Moz, saying this man hasn’t been on top of the pops for years. This got me thinking ....
When was Moz last on top of the pops... and with which song?

Could it have been Pregnant for the last time, about 2 years earlier?
A few weeks ago, there was an old episode where Certain People I Know was in the charts.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom