Strange/unexpected Moz references?

He had to give them up so he could focus on his career...

For context:
From the 1988 classic solo debut NME interview with Len Brown...
"Maximum attention has got to be given to everything I do and, in order to concentrate absolutely perfectly on everything, I have to give up sausages."

Just whizzing through My Rock 'n' Roll Friend by Tracey Thorn.

"By 1983 the UK music scene is falling in love with The Smiths. The Go-Betweens are their label-mates on Rough Trade, and so they play a gig supporting them at the Venue in London. It’s one of those moments when two bands seem close, with some shared style and ambitions, but then suddenly one pulls ahead of the other and is soon far in the distance, out of sight, passing unimagined finishing lines.

The Go-Betweens are building up to their third album, and want to go to New York to record it. A budget is discussed with Rough Trade, but there are some constraints in place. Before Hollywood hasn’t sold very well, so there are limits. Then The Smiths take off. ‘This Charming Man’ is a hit, and the band become Rough Trade’s darlings. The Go-Betweens fly out to New York for a gig at Danceteria, and meet Geoff Travis who is there with The Smiths. He has bad news. There is no money for The Go-Betweens’ album, even though The Smiths are supposed to be saving Rough Trade’s financial bacon, and so the band are off the label.

Some of the bitterness about being Australians in London is suddenly brought into sharp focus. They are being set aside in favour of Morrissey, who plays up to a stereotype of Englishness, but is also a much more flamboyant and boisterous onstage performer than either Robert or Grant. For all their comments about English reserve, The Go-Betweens’ live shows are fairly sedate affairs, with nothing like the unrestrained euphoria of a Smiths gig. People don’t really dance at their gigs; the band don’t seem to be at all wild or hedonistic; there’s a danger that the relationship between band and audience could remain quite distant and polite. Respectful rather than passionate. They need to find a way to connect.

Morrissey is writing about a recognisable British landscape, full of recognisable characters, while Robert and Grant’s songs are full of defining Australian imagery. In The Lucky Country, Horne describes ‘the haunting landscapes of Australia – the great herds of cattle drifting across vast, shadeless plains . . . the deep green of the cane fields’, summoning up one of the band’s most famous songs, ‘Cattle and Cane’, twenty years before it will be written."

"Lindy and I both take the view that you can be existential some of the time, while also concentrating on having the time of your life. When The Smiths’ The Queen Is Dead album comes out, Robert listens incessantly to ‘I Know It’s Over’, and Lindy hears those dismal lyrics about soil falling over someone’s head all day long until she is driven mad by it. In defiance, she puts on at full volume ‘Shout to the Top’ by The Style Council."

"...In a letter, I tell her that Ben and I have just bought cats. ‘You see how domestic we are becoming now you are not here to lead us astray. And I am no longer drinking since an unfortunate incident at a recent Smiths gig.’"

Regards,
FWD.

Some of the bitterness about being Australians in London is suddenly brought into sharp focus. They are being set aside in favour of Morrissey, who plays up to a stereotype of Englishness, but is also a much more flamboyant and boisterous onstage performer than either Robert or Grant. For all their comments about English reserve, The Go-Betweens’ live shows are fairly sedate affairs, with nothing like the unrestrained euphoria of a Smiths gig. People don’t really dance at their gigs; the band don’t seem to be at all wild or hedonistic; there’s a danger that the relationship between band and audience could remain quite distant and polite. Respectful rather than passionate. They need to find a way to connect.
Oh that's really interesting. I've always adored the Go-Betweens and saw them a few times but that was the thing: their live shows were fairly sedate. Never any sense of abandon or celebration, just a loving appreciation and respect for how good they were.

Oh that's really interesting. I've always adored the Go-Betweens and saw them a few times but that was the thing: their live shows were fairly sedate. Never any sense of abandon or celebration, just a loving appreciation and respect for how good they were.
Regards,
FWD.

"By 1983 the UK music scene is falling in love with The Smiths. The Go-Betweens are their label-mates on Rough Trade, and so they play a gig supporting them at the Venue in London. It’s one of those moments when two bands seem close, with some shared style and ambitions, but then suddenly one pulls ahead of the other and is soon far in the distance, out of sight, passing unimagined finishing lines.

The Go-Betweens are building up to their third album, and want to go to New York to record it. A budget is discussed with Rough Trade, but there are some constraints in place. Before Hollywood hasn’t sold very well, so there are limits. Then The Smiths take off. ‘This Charming Man’ is a hit, and the band become Rough Trade’s darlings. The Go-Betweens fly out to New York for a gig at Danceteria, and meet Geoff Travis who is there with The Smiths. He has bad news. There is no money for The Go-Betweens’ album, even though The Smiths are supposed to be saving Rough Trade’s financial bacon, and so the band are off the label.

Morrissey is writing about a recognisable British landscape, full of recognisable characters, while Robert and Grant’s songs are full of defining Australian imagery. In The Lucky Country, Horne describes ‘the haunting landscapes of Australia – the great herds of cattle drifting across vast, shadeless plains . . . the deep green of the cane fields’, summoning up one of the band’s most famous songs, ‘Cattle and Cane’, twenty years before it will be written."

"Lindy and I both take the view that you can be existential some of the time, while also concentrating on having the time of your life. When The Smiths’ The Queen Is Dead album comes out, Robert listens incessantly to ‘I Know It’s Over’, and Lindy hears those dismal lyrics about soil falling over someone’s head all day long until she is driven mad by it. In defiance, she puts on at full volume ‘Shout to the Top’ by The Style Council."

"...In a letter, I tell her that Ben and I have just bought cats. ‘You see how domestic we are becoming now you are not here to lead us astray. And I am no longer drinking since an unfortunate incident at a recent Smiths gig.’"

Regards,
FWD.

Beautifully, but unknowingly, accurate bijou snapshot of the British indie scene strangling itself with it's own college scarf...

Interesting Pop Fact ~ Kevin Cummins once said that, of all the subjects he has photographed, the two worst and most completely insufferable were:

1. John Motson.

2. Everything But The Girl.

:unsure:

Beautifully, but unknowingly, accurate bijou snapshot of the British indie scene strangling itself with it's own college scarf...

Interesting Pop Fact ~ Kevin Cummins once said that, of all the subjects he has photographed, the two worst and most completely insufferable were:

1. John Motson.

2. Everything But The Girl.

:unsure:

Was this an English stereotype in the 80s? 👇

fdac0c5cdd9447f7af76cd533a7b0c4b.jpg

Was this an English stereotype in the 80s? 👇

View attachment 70854

í am interested to know more about this momentous alcohol-related 'unfortunate incident' at a Smiths gig: Did Tracéy drop her Camus down the loo? Did she accidentally hit a right note? It may yet qualify as the only imaginable point of interest related to Tracéy Thorn. Other than how she seems to get glowing reviews for anything she sticks out {perhaps cos she's bezzie dinner party mates with all the suspect usuals journos..?}

First reply is a dig {naturally} and Murray Mint doesn't take the bait, but doesn't exactly fall defending his name neither...

This Chalmers Man of course forgetting that the "f***ing great statement, then and now" {Hang The DJ} had him damned then as a racist rotter. And now?

í am interested to know more about this momentous alcohol-related 'unfortunate incident' at a Smiths gig: Did Tracéy drop her Camus down the loo? Did she accidentally hit a right note? It may yet qualify as the only imaginable point of interest related to Tracéy Thorn. Other than how she seems to get glowing reviews for anything she sticks out {perhaps cos she's bezzie dinner party mates with all the suspect usuals journos..?}

Yeah, it's a grubby business.

Another new upload, better quality than other ones currently on YouTube, but missing the performances, apparently because YouTube blocked them. Includes the eloquent wisdom of guitar God & comrade Johnny f***ing Marr.
"We like to play concerts and make records." Cool story, bro.

The other guy, who shall not be named, is also there and he likes to watch swimming.

Last edited:
Another new upload, better quality than other ones currently on YouTube, but missing the performances, apparently because YouTube blocked them. Includes the eloquent wisdom of guitar God & comrade Johnny f***ing Marr.
"We like to play concerts and make records." Cool story, bro.

The other guy, who shall not be named, is also there and he likes to watch swimming.

Su-perb.

"Brenda Di Banzi ??" ❤️

Old Banzai Bren is on toast-time telly this very afternoon {TalkingPictures TV} in Lean's "Hobson's Choice" {1954) ~

Brenda de Banzie Hobson's Choice.jpg

í've never seen anyone say "Brrread" & "Teeea" with such a chilling menace. Like Grievous Bodily Tiffin...

To Me You Are A Work Of Art...

Morrissey San Remo RAI Feb 1987.jpg

í've never seen anyone say "Brrread" & "Teeea" with such a chilling menace. Like Grievous Bodily Tiffin...

Ha! I was thinking the same and wondered if the questions answered by sacred wunderkind Johnny were originally intended for Morrissey as well, but the interviewer feared he might do something to them if they kept bothering him :lbf:

Favourite singer - "uhmmm-hmmm"

Don't be shy, it's okay to be your own biggest fan, Morrissey.

TheSmithsItalia.jpg

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom