Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Currently in the somewhat-traumatic-but-ultimately-healing throes of a full Allsoppian 'De-Clutter', in prep for the forthcoming flit.
Which amounts to combing through the full Fool Frady Archives, going all the way back to the Victorian shores of the Nineteen Haties.

The tiniest throwaways can, sometimes, be the finest gems, and yesterday's panning for gold unearthed a Panini 'Smash Hits' sticker of the Moz fizzog, to place in your Panini 'Smash Hits' sticker album naturally {which í, naturally, had not}, with a similar colour frame to this Andrew Catlin shot {1986?} ~

View attachment 70382

~ but that was not the gem part {or the only gem}.
On the flipside of the glam mug shot was an explanatory paragraph or three on who Stephen Patrick Morrissey was.
The mini pop-bio climaxed with ~

"Morrissey lives near Manchester, and is not very normal"

~ as fine and noble an epitaph as one deserves to get.
Gavin Hopps could not have summarised the man better in 500 pages of his secret garden of overgrown prose.

And words that still sum the man up to-day, perhaps. {If one simply switches Manchester with 'the Sunset Marquis'...}

Are you flitting somewhere you want to flit to or is it another economy/lockdown horror? At this point we need a home for destitute theatricals - we're all in penury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently in the somewhat-traumatic-but-ultimately-healing throes of a full Allsoppian 'De-Clutter', in prep for the forthcoming flit.
Which amounts to combing through the full Fool Frady Archives, going all the way back to the Victorian shores of the Nineteen Haties.

The tiniest throwaways can, sometimes, be the finest gems, and yesterday's panning for gold unearthed a Panini 'Smash Hits' sticker of the Moz fizzog, to place in your Panini 'Smash Hits' sticker album naturally {which í, naturally, had not}, with a similar colour frame to this Andrew Catlin shot {1986?} ~

View attachment 70382

~ but that was not the gem part {or the only gem}.
On the flipside of the glam mug shot was an explanatory paragraph or three on who Stephen Patrick Morrissey was.
The mini pop-bio climaxed with ~

"Morrissey lives near Manchester, and is not very normal"

~ as fine and noble an epitaph as one deserves to get.
Gavin Hopps could not have summarised the man better in 500 pages of his secret garden of overgrown prose.

And words that still sum the man up to-day, perhaps. {If one simply switches Manchester with 'the Sunset Marquis'...}

IMG_20210402_151819.jpg

Same session, not a sticker.
FWD.

I have heard some interesting Moz news, probably 5th hand. He is either about to start or is recording new material. He has either found or is looking for a new guitarist. His new material seems to have doubled down on his world view - I can’t say more but expect controversy.

I have heard some interesting Moz news, probably 5th hand. He is either about to start or is recording new material. He has either found or is looking for a new guitarist. His new material seems to have doubled down on his world view - I can’t say more but expect controversy.

I heard he was working on a musical of Salon Kitty with the ghost of Lynsey de Paul.

Have you heard of cold reading?

Are you flitting somewhere you want to flit too or is it another economy/lockdown horror? At this point we need a home for destitute theatricals - we're all in penury.

No horror really, other than the circle of life & death. Now that 'we' are orphans, with my dad shuffling off last Summer, we are selling my parent's home, the one in which í grew up.
Seems as good a time as any to move onwards & sideways, crab-like, from my current hovel.
Collating the Frady Archive {my sweet FA?} in this manner affords me the opportunity to pick'n'mix the 'statement' posters í intend to erect at my next residence. In my head, í couldn't decide which of the huge 'subway' posters í wanted to frame and place, Gainsborough Steve McQueen-like, in my lounge. With most of the large-scale printed visual ephemera 'corner' of the collection having been assessed , this is the current bookie's fave ~

Morrissey Playboys poster.jpg

~ í had forgotten how stunning it was, in the 'flesh'. One for the knitting bee to enjoy staring at on the long Winter nights.
It was a close contest though, with the huge silvered "Ouija Board", a vast vista of Pennie Smith's "Sing Your Life" sleeve and a pristine "Piccadilly Palare" coming up close behind. There may be surprises yet to come which could dismount "Playboys" {í know í have a wall-sized poster of the lazy sunbathers of "Tomorrow", bought at the Manchester Apollo 1992 show, tucked away someplace} but it's going to take a miracle...

No horror really, other than the circle of life & death. Now that 'we' are orphans, with my dad shuffling off last Summer, we are selling my parent's home, the one in which í grew up.
Seems as good a time as any to move onwards & sideways, crab-like, from my current hovel.
Collating the Frady Archive {my sweet FA?} in this manner affords me the opportunity to pick'n'mix the 'statement' posters í intend to erect at my next residence. In my head, í couldn't decide which of the huge 'subway' posters í wanted to frame and place, Gainsborough Steve McQueen-like, in my lounge. With most of the large-scale printed visual ephemera 'corner' of the collection having been assessed , this is the current bookie's fave ~

View attachment 70417

~ í had forgotten how stunning it was, in the 'flesh'. One for the knitting bee to enjoy staring at on the long Winter nights.
It was a close contest though, with the huge silvered "Ouija Board", a vast vista of Pennie Smith's "Sing Your Life" sleeve and a pristine "Piccadilly Palare" coming up close behind. There may be surprises yet to come which could dismount "Playboys" {í know í have a wall-sized poster of the lazy sunbathers of "Tomorrow", bought at the Manchester Apollo 1992 show, tucked away someplace} but it's going to take a miracle...

Ugh, gorgeous.

I know it would be Piccadilly Palare for me though. Those eyes 💕

Ugh, gorgeous.

I know it would be Piccadilly Palare for me though. Those eyes 💕

Don't confuse me! And it is an Anton...

í also found a large 'index' magazine 2004 promo poster with a B+W Wolfgang Tillmans shot of Moz on the studio rug of Hook End lazily holding an electric guitar erect. Never seen the image before.

í know that there is a ginormous textless glossy job, just that image, of this somewhere in the Sweet FA, that í printed out myself ~

Morrissey 25Live poster.jpg

Oh, and then there is the 60x40 Rankin Meltdown hotties...

:ahhh:

í also found a large 'index' magazine 2004 promo poster with a B+W Wolfgang Tillmans shot of Moz on the studio rug of Hook End lazily holding an electric guitar erect. Never seen the image before.

So you're just gonna throw me this delicious piece of bait and not deliver? You're such a pic-tease.

(Is it from this set?)

MorrisseyTilmans2004.jpg

So you're just gonna throw me this delicious piece of bait and not deliver? You're such a pic-tease.

(Is it from this set?)

View attachment 70429

Yes, that's the session, but not the shot. And not the guitar laying next to him. It's another, quite ugly, guitar, possibly Fender. í think it was Alain's. He is holding it like a big bag of cat poop, gingerly, and at a distance. At a 90° to his supine body on the floor...

No tease intended. í do not have a camera on my telephone. In common with oldies, OCGs and Bill Maher, í have a burner telephone only. It suits my needs, but not other peoples :o

í could break out my crayons for you...? If you are Desperate Mary today?

Yes, that's the session, but not the shot. And not the guitar laying next to him. It's another, quite ugly, guitar, possibly Fender. í think it was Alain's. He is holding it like a big bag of cat poop, gingerly, and at a distance. At a 90° to his supine body on the floor...

No tease intended. í do not have a camera on my telephone. In common with oldies, OCGs and Bill Maher, í have a burner telephone only. It suits my needs, but not other peoples :o

í could break out my crayons for you...? If you are Desperate Mary today?

I see. I have a telephone on my camera but I never use it.

I do appreciate the detailed description and can now imagine what it looks like. I picture it as a lazy rehearsal for this:

MorrisseySashaEisenmanHollywoodForever2004.jpg

Desperate Mary would absolutely love a JF original illustration, but how would it get to me? Carrier pigeon? Fax? Snail mail? 🐌

Last edited:

I do appreciate the detailed description and can now imagine what it looks like. I picture it as a lazy rehearsal for this:

View attachment 70431

Desperate Mary would absolutely love a JF original illustration, but how would it get to me? Carrier pigeon? Fax? Snail mail? 🐌
this reminds me of the priest in the omen with the spire falling from the top of the church and impaling him.

View attachment 70431

It's similar pose only in the sense that he is physically in contact with a guitar. In the one you have posted {from your 'Emergency Use Folder'?} he is clearly...enjoying...his instrument greatly {whilst also commenting on the phallic phallacy of the guitar (h)eros}.
In the index poster shot, í would guess it was taken some moments after the act captured above, and he is holding the instrument up at arms length, in triumph yet slight disgust, with a weary look on his face. Used and discarded...

í should get some sleep. Where can í buy some...?

Context around cheque not given above =

"The cheque was signed and jokingly annotated for Mr Smith by Morrissey (who was with friend Stephen Street) outside Hatchards in Picadilly London on September 18th 1987. He met Morrissey outside the venue during a book signing for "This n That" by legendary screen actress Bette Davis. This summer was a key period in the history of The Smiths as they split at this time, amid much acrimony between the group members. They were rumoured to be leaving Rough Trade records (with whom they had been throughout their career) in order to join EMI supposedly for more money. Mr Smith suggested to us that the 300,000 reference on this cheque is Morrissey referring to and joking about the financial contract he was to have been offered with EMI."
(Via Auction House).
FWD.

It's similar pose only in the sense that he is physically in contact with a guitar. In the one you have posted {from your 'Emergency Use Folder'?} he is clearly...enjoying...his instrument greatly {whilst also commenting on the phallic phallacy of the guitar (h)eros}.
In the index poster shot, í would guess it was taken some moments after the act captured above, and he is holding the instrument up at arms length, in triumph yet slight disgust, with a weary look on his face. Used and discarded...

í should get some sleep. Where can í buy some...?

I don't know what you're talking about.
It's from my "Morrissey doesn't even know how to hold a guitar" folder.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom