Strange/unexpected Moz references?

And this is from the BBC Sounds page, when the song was played on Radio 1's Wind Down show as noted above...

WTAF is going on here?!

View attachment 58990

Either they're hugely displeased with him or they're avoiding flack coming their way from his name - complaints or arguments a la Reel. Bloody nerve considering the state of Question Time. 🙃

Either they're hugely displeased with him or they're avoiding flack coming their way from his name - complaints or arguments a la Reel. Bloody nerve considering the state of Question Time. 🙃
They could have just stuck with "The Smiths". Y'know, the actual name of the band.
Didn't have to mention any of the members...
It's not like they usually tag every single member of The 1975 or whatever.

Apparently, Caitlin Moran talked about "living next to Morrissey" on "Poptarts" podcast. I haven't listened to it yet.

Lord - well, she's a people-pleaser to the max so that'll be an indication of where his reputation is at. Hell, Heaven (unlikely), or Purgatory (hopefully).

They could have just stuck with "The Smiths". Y'know, the actual name of the band.
Didn't have to mention any of the members...
It's not like they usually tag every single member of The 1975 or whatever.

It might be a POINT then. Daft Beeb.

But then literally no other star would make ambiguous statements/gestures & then just la la la - normally anyone who becomes 'problematique' is out there battling day & night & bouncing on to Andrew Neil's sofa at least once.

Does anyone have a decent picture of Morrissey in his 'I'm not far right t-shirt'? After nearly a year fretting about the state of his career, I thought I better make a folder of this stuff.

I want that next album. 🙃

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a decent picture of Morrissey in his 'I'm not far right t-shirt'? After nearly a year fretting about the state of his career, I thought I better make a folder of this stuf.

I want that next album. 🙃
Of courrrrrse...

Leeds1.jpeg
Leeds2.jpeg
Leeds3.jpeg
Cologne1.jpg
Cologne2.jpg

None of these are mine, unfortunately. The ones I took never show the full print.

And this is from the BBC Sounds page, when the song was played on Radio 1's Wind Down show as noted above...

WTAF is going on here?!

View attachment 58990
This is actually offensive. The singer and lyricist is not acknowledged but the other band members are. Radio 1 has been awful for years, pretty much a dance station and that's it.

Yeah Question Time has been shit since way before lockdown. I like Fiona Bruce on other programmes but she's really poor on QT.

Lord - well, she's a people-pleaser to the max so that'll be an indication of where his reputation is at. Hell, Heaven (unlikely), or Purgatory (hopefully).

Nothing screams how facile & hollow the modern media landscape is than the fact that Caitlin Moron is now considered...anything...of significance.

í remember her when she and Taylor Parkes were set up by the "Melody Maker", on the cusp of Britp*p, as a kind of 3rd rate Burchill & Parsons knock-off. From whence she progressed to "Naked City", a truly godawful Britp*p C4 yoof telly show she tried to co-host with Johnny Vaughn {who she clearly loathed}. Main memory í have of that show is of CM hosting what she clearly believed was a 'debate' on 'is Moz racist?' with a bloke from Fun-da-Mental {putting the fun in mental?} and Sonya from Echobelly. Sonya later complained that C4 had cut the piece to shreds to favour the guy from FDM & Caitlin, with the bulk of her speech cut to favour lots of pretty reaction shots.

Her rise to 'literary & cultural' prominence is as baffling as it is maddening.
But it is offset by the relief that all women can now safely navigate the murky ginnels of womanhood by Caitlin's multi-title book deal...

Last edited:
Nothing screams how facile & hollow the modern media landscape is than the fact that Caitlin Moron is now considered...anything...of significance.

í remember her when she and Taylor Parkes were set up by the "Melody Maker", on the cusp of Britp*p, as a kind of 3rd rate Burchill & Parsons knock-off. From whence she progressed to "Naked City", a truly godawful Britp*p C4 yoof telly show she tried to co-host with Johnny Vaughn {who she clearly loathed}. Main memory í have of that show is of CM hosting what she clealy believed was a 'debate' on 'is Moz racist?' with a bloke from Fun-da-Mental {putting the fun in mental?} and Sonya from Echobelly. Sonya later complained that C4 had cut the piece to shreds to favour the guy from FDM & Caitlin, with the bulk of her speech cut to favour lots of pretty reaction shots.

Her rise to 'lliterary & cultural' prominence is as baffling as it is maddening.
But it is offset by the relief that all women can now safely navigate the murky ginnels of womanhood by Caitlin's multi-title book deal...

Cutting Sonya out of anything is an unpardonable offence which should be ... you get the general idea.

On that note and speaking of Britp*p, I'm really looking forward to Kevin Cummins' new book which will be out later this month.

í remember her when she and Taylor Parkes were set up by the "Melody Maker", on the cusp of Britp*p, as a kind of 3rd rate Burchill & Parsons knock-off. From whence she progressed to "Naked City", a truly godawful Britp*p C4 yoof telly show she tried to co-host with Johnny Vaughn {who she clearly loathed}. Main memory í have of that show is of CM hosting what she clealy believed was a 'debate' on 'is Moz racist?' with a bloke from Fun-da-Mental {putting the fun in mental?} and Sonya from Echobelly. Sonya later complained that C4 had cut the piece to shreds to favour the guy from FDM & Caitlin, with the bulk of her speech cut to favour lots of pretty reaction shots.

Her rise to 'literary & cultural' prominence is as baffling as it is maddening.

I looked up Naked City & found her accusing Leigh Bowery of objectifying women with his own body.

It was like a dumb version of the misogyny accusations flung at Alexander McQueen.

The grotesque & disturbing can only be hatred.

Nice people do things nicely.

Just found out that the fragrant writer Andrew O'Hagan has a new novel out, titled "Mayflies" {with quite a "World Won't Listen"-ish cover?}, a tale of teenage friendships found & lost, which includes a recollection of a trip from the West Coast of Scotland down to see The Smiths at the Festival of the Tenth Summer in 1986 at Manchester's G-MEX.

Mayflies.jpg

Some of the reviews have quoted lines such as ~

"Morrissey came brandishing a licence, a whole manner of permission, as if a new kind of belonging could be made from feeling left out, like nobody knew you as he did … every word and every guitar lick felt like a statement only they could make, and only we could hear, those songs rolling from the stage to irrigate our lives."

"Morrissey hits the air like a chip pan fire"

And so forth.

Any excuse to re-link Mr O'Hagan's finely perfumed piece on Moz, from the "London Review of Books ", in 2004, in which he mentions said Summer of '86 ~

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v26/n05/andrew-o-hagan/cartwheels-over-broken-glass?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Cartwheels over broken glass indeed! :hearteyes:

Attachments

• Mayflies.jpg
    Mayflies.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 0
Just found out that the fragrant writer Andrew O'Hagan has a new novel out, titled "Mayflies" {with quite a "World Won't Listen"-ish cover?}, a tale of teenage friendships found & lost, which includes a recollection of a trip from the West Coast of Scotland down to see The Smiths at the Festival of the Tenth Summer in 1986 at Manchester's G-MEX.

View attachment 59076

"Morrissey came brandishing a licence, a whole manner of permission, as if a new kind of belonging could be made from feeling left out, like nobody knew you as he did … every word and every guitar lick felt like a statement only they could make, and only we could hear, those songs rolling from the stage to irrigate our lives."

And so forth.

Any excuse to re-link Mr O'Hagan's finely perfumed piece on Moz,from the "London Review of Books ", in 2004, in which he mentions said Summer of '86 ~

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v26/n05/andrew-o-hagan/cartwheels-over-broken-glass?referrer=https://www.google.com/

I'm really looking forward to reading this book!

And so forth.

Any excuse to re-link Mr O'Hagan's finely perfumed piece on Moz, from the "London Review of Books ", in 2004, in which he mentions said Summer of '86 ~

Quite a few Morrissey & The Smiths mentions in it.
Nudge nudge etc :)
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom