Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Possibly, & maybe more so because the quote provided was from Johnny Safe...if they'd have asked Moz they might have got a different explanation...maybe along the lines of the Savile one.

Maybe. One of my favourite bits in the autobiography is when they're telling him he can't say Shoplifters is about shoplifting & he insists that it is about shoplifting, so why not?

Subversive pop is so rare no one knows what to do with it.

Maybe. One of my favourite bits in the autobiography is when they're telling him he can't say Shoplifters is about shoplifting & he insists that it is about shoplifting, so why not?

Subversive pop is so rare no one knows what to do with it.

I've got it but not read it, so just scanned thru...it's funny & I must get to read it:

"Pat Bellis speaks up at the meeting. ‘Look, if you don’t say this then we can’t appear on The Tube, and we won’t be played on radio and there’ll be no Top of the Pops.’ Around the table, everybody looks at me as if I’d just eaten a small child, and the Rough Trade faces seem newly traditionalist in the mid-afternoon light. Like a bull in a Spanish bullring, I look both left and right for clarity. ‘But the song IS about shoplifting!’ I wheeze out.

‘Ye-ee-ee-s, we KNOW that!’ came forty-eight voices, ‘but if you could just tweak the meaning then we’re in the clear ... just say something oblique.’

The full Marr New Order quote that addressed it in '87:
"To those who took offence at the 'burn down the disco' line I'd say -- please show me the black members of New Order! For me, personally, New Order make great disco music, but there's no black people in the group. The point I'm making is that you can't just interchange the words 'black' and 'disco', or the phrases 'black music' and 'disco music'. It makes no earthly sense... 'Panic' came about at the time of Chernobyl. Morrissey and myself were listening to a Newsbeat radio report about it. The story about this shocking disaster comes to an end and then, immediately, we're off into Wham!'s 'I'm Your Man'. I remember actually saying 'what the f*** has this got to do with peoples' lives?' We hear about Chernobyl, then, seconds later, we're expected to be jumping around to 'I'm Your Man'... And so -- 'hang the blessed DJ'. I think it was a great lyric, important and applicable to anyone who lives in England. I mean, even the most ardent disco fan wouldn't want to be subjected to that stuff, would they?"
- Johnny Marr, New Musical Express, February 1987

As someone who lived through those years, can't say Panic was taken directly as racist to the point of huge scandal at the time and perhaps quotes like this get conflated, morphed and spun in to modern 'lore' as more than they were?
Regards,
FWD.

"To those who took offence at the 'burn down the disco' line I'd say -- please show me the black members of New Order! For me, personally, New Order make great disco music, but there's no black people in the group. The point I'm making is that you can't just interchange the words 'black' and 'disco', or the phrases 'black music' and 'disco music'. It makes no earthly sense... 'Panic' came about at the time of Chernobyl. Morrissey and myself were listening to a Newsbeat radio report about it. The story about this shocking disaster comes to an end and then, immediately, we're off into Wham!'s 'I'm Your Man'. I remember actually saying 'what the f*** has this got to do with peoples' lives?' We hear about Chernobyl, then, seconds later, we're expected to be jumping around to 'I'm Your Man'... And so -- 'hang the blessed DJ'. I think it was a great lyric, important and applicable to anyone who lives in England. I mean, even the most ardent disco fan wouldn't want to be subjected to that stuff, would they?"

As someone who lived through those years, can't say Panic was taken directly as racist to the point of huge scandal at the time and perhaps quotes like this get conflated, morphed and spun in to modern 'lore' as more than they were?
Regards,
FWD.

As I said earlier, "Quite surprising what some people can 'see'."

“posted by davidt on Thursday June 03 2004, @09:00AM
Anonymous writes:

Hello. I'm listening to Steve Wright on BBC radio 2 as I do every day when to my astonishment he began talking about Moz!

For those of you who don't know, a quick culture/history lesson...
SW is a national institution; he's been the most popular DJ in the country for the past couple of decades, the kind of cheery, easy-going and slightly humourous personality who can appeal to all ages.

In 1986, Moz was listening to the show when news of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster was broadcast. Steve Wright followed the broadcast by playing 'I'm Your Man' by Wham; Moz found the broadcast of such a vacuous pop song after such shocking news highly insensitive, and so wrote the song 'Panic' to lambast Steve Wright (The 'Hang the DJ' bit specifically refers to him).

Anyways, Steve Wright NEVER refers to Moz or plays any of his records, even now he is 'cool' again. but today he began joking that he wondered who 'Panic' was written about, and said that he recently tried to book him as a guest on his show! He seemed not even slightly bothered about the whole 'Panic' incident.

Wonder if Moz agrees to appear on his show- it would be the ultimate case of a rock star burying the hatchet (or, in this case, the noose...)”

Regards,
FWD.
Same. It never crossed my mind for a moment that there was any racism, implied or overt in Panic. Never.

Anonymous writes:

Hello. I'm listening to Steve Wright on BBC radio 2 as I do every day when to my astonishment he began talking about Moz!

SW is a national institution; he's been the most popular DJ in the country for the past couple of decades, the kind of cheery, easy-going and slightly humourous personality who can appeal to all ages.

In 1986, Moz was listening to the show when news of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster was broadcast. Steve Wright followed the broadcast by playing 'I'm Your Man' by Wham; Moz found the broadcast of such a vacuous pop song after such shocking news highly insensitive, and so wrote the song 'Panic' to lambast Steve Wright (The 'Hang the DJ' bit specifically refers to him).

Anyways, Steve Wright NEVER refers to Moz or plays any of his records, even now he is 'cool' again. but today he began joking that he wondered who 'Panic' was written about, and said that he recently tried to book him as a guest on his show! He seemed not even slightly bothered about the whole 'Panic' incident.

Wonder if Moz agrees to appear on his show- it would be the ultimate case of a rock star burying the hatchet (or, in this case, the noose...)”

Somewhere from within the inner recesses I recall one of the R1 DJs trying to explain (lie) sarcastically to listeners what Panic was about, & he said, maybe to throw everyone off the SW scent, that it was about someone having been out for the night, and hanging up their DJ, as in dinner jacket. I'm sure it amused some people at the time. Another true story.

Anonymous writes:

My recollection at the time in a nutshell:
20200421_175202.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

I've got it but not read it, so just scanned thru...it's funny & I must get to read it:

"Pat Bellis speaks up at the meeting. ‘Look, if you don’t say this then we can’t appear on The Tube, and we won’t be played on radio and there’ll be no Top of the Pops.’ Around the table, everybody looks at me as if I’d just eaten a small child, and the Rough Trade faces seem newly traditionalist in the mid-afternoon light. Like a bull in a Spanish bullring, I look both left and right for clarity. ‘But the song IS about shoplifting!’ I wheeze out.

‘Ye-ee-ee-s, we KNOW that!’ came forty-eight voices, ‘but if you could just tweak the meaning then we’re in the clear ... just say something oblique.’

It's good! Even the never ending trial becomes funny because He Cannot Let It Go.

Wait a bit... "ppl no longer respect Morrissey"? What people? Are you out of your mind? Generalizing is always so dumb...
I respect Morrissey, i respect Morrissey, i respect Morrissey....
You're free to. But remember, that when you apply your respect to people who spit in your face, people might respect you less for it.

This guy who runs what appears to be an extremely tiny blog has got a couple of appreciative readers from this site.

And that's the problem. For all the bravado above, sadly there's next to nobody still interested.

Some of Morrissey's tracks from his last album are barely nudging 100k views. Amateurs who record a track after work do better.

The 'fans' who cling to the idea that it's a woke conspiracy, by an evil media and a deluded public miss the point. Ppl just laugh at, or hate Morrissey now, leaving him to be praised only by a handful of nutjob extremists...and that's what's a bit tragic about this article.
Considering that the majority of Great Britain has always been anti-immigration (which is why they have never been allowed a vote on the matter) I think we can safely say that the majority also agree with Morrissey's views on the subject also.

The VILE site appears to be run by members of Patriotic Alternative. That group is slightly larger than a lunatic fringe.

Woke virtue hypocrites form a vocal but ultimately tiny proportion of the population. Most work in the media and also happen to be Jewish. Many are in academia and government. Others are ponces who work in the arts. Thankfully the public are increasingly waking up and deserting the opinions and instructions of these moneyed liars who do not have the public or the country's best interests at heart, but only want to strengthen their own circle of power.

But enough is enough.

Thank God the print monopoly of creepy authoritarian Zios has finally been compromised and real people can post their feelings and beliefs on the internet for all to see (while the Zios stamp their feet in anger and scream about censorship and hate speech). The VILE site is but one small shining example of this. A woke-free and PR-free zone of unrestricted thought.

Considering that the majority of Great Britain has always been anti-immigration (which is why they have never been allowed a vote on the matter) I think we can safely say that the majority also agree with Morrissey's views on the subject also.

The VILE site appears to be run by members of Patriotic Alternative. That group is slightly larger than a lunatic fringe.

Woke virtue hypocrites form a vocal but ultimately tiny proportion of the population. Most work in the media and also happen to be Jewish. Many are in academia and government. Others are ponces who work in the arts. Thankfully the public are increasingly waking up and deserting the opinions and instructions of these moneyed liars who do not have the public or the country's best interests at heart, but only want to strengthen their own circle of power.

But enough is enough.

Thank God the print monopoly of creepy authoritarian Zios has finally been compromised and real people can post their feelings and beliefs on the internet for all to see (while the Zios stamp their feet in anger and scream about censorship and hate speech). The VILE site is but one small shining example of this. A woke-free and PR-free zone of unrestricted thought.

I started to write a reply pointing out that you avoided the point. The blog has no sign of being more than one person; doesn't own their own name; comments or a wiki, and is an amateur, super-niche blog almost 100% of the population manage to shun; hence it being rather tragic that a few fans are pleased for Morrissey to get even this damaging / mild praise.

I was pointing out that even though we've always heard about Morrissey's big Latino following; or fans in France, Poland or wherever, that's clearly not particularly true these days - many of his album tracks have <100k views; really pitiful.

Then I noticed your last, neo-nazi section about the Jews. It reminded me the key point is that Morrissey is so deeply unpopular because of his politics - joining a movement described as a bunch of neo-Nazis...by Nigel Farage, and most of UKIP. He's shunned by society partly as he attracts the most far-right, fringe nutjobs; the ones who delusionally console themselves by claiming they're not hated because of their despicable, unBritish, neo-nazi views, but as a tiny number of Jews brainwash the public against them...exactly as you've done above in fact.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom