Strange/unexpected Moz references?

A Smiths song title presumably provided the inspiration for the headline of this article on Oswald Mosley's inclusion in the latest season of Peaky Blinders- This Charming Monster (no other reference to Morrissey within the article, if you were curious)

Just saw this on the Cover33.co.uk homepage. Clearly someone there has good taste in music. Incidentally, Covers33 is an excellent web store if you want to look after your collection.

Covers33.jpg

Barry Manilow ‘fighting horribly’ with hubby manager amid Broadway flop
Could it be tragic?

Page Six has learned that legendary crooner Barry Manilow and his husband/manager Garry Kief are “fighting horribly” because Manilow’s Broadway run has gone awry.

We’re told that the trouble began because Manilow wanted the run to be very short — similar to Morrissey’s 10-day blitz at the Lunt-Fontanne in May, which reportedly made $1.9 million — perhaps even just a week long.

But we’re told Kief — who married the “Could It Be Magic” crooner in 2014 after 39 years together — pushed to do a months-long residency similar to Bruce Springsteen’s stretch from last October to December.

In the end, they split the difference and did the three-week run, also at the Lunt-Fontanne.

But The Post has reported it’s struggling to sell tickets and the “Copacabana” star is facing an “ocean of empty seats.”

The Post’s Richard Morgan wrote in July that while opening night at a Saturday show early in the run were nearly sold out, “about half the seats for the next three weeks … are still empty.”

“If he weren’t his husband, Barry would have fired Garry by now,” said a backstage source.

Sources say that the “disaster” has come between them personally, and since they arrived in New York for the stand, Bazza and Gazza have been “fighting almost daily,” including some backstage blow-ups at the Lunt-Fontanne.

Making matters worse, we’re told that because of their various business arrangements, Manilow could end up losing money on this run, while his husband could end up making bank on it.

That’s because, we’re told, Kief takes a salary as an executive producer, while Manilow gets the gate but is on the hook for the cost of the production.

Said a source, “It’s terrible. Barry’s up there at 76 years of age, and Garry’s sitting in the back of the theater eating bonbons.”

Kief and a rep for Manilow didn’t respond to repeated requests for comment.

FB_IMG_1565695064658.jpg

A quirky advert for the gig.
Regards,
FWD.

what context did he say that in?

"These days he feels "as free as a bird". At first it seems perverse that the poetic voice of drizzle-damp England would choose the eternal sunshine of Los Angeles, but it is a good place not to belong because nobody belongs in Los Angeles, a city with neither heart nor history. "I don't think anybody feels at home there," he agrees. "Everybody has come from somewhere else and belongs somewhere else, and quite rightly so."

He says he ended up there by "complete accident" but how can you buy a house by accident? "Oh, you do," he smiles. "Life's full of tricky snakes and ladders. I decided earlier that I would revolve through the 40th door somewhere else other than England. And I did. I just didn't want to turn 40 sitting in the same old armchair by the same old window.""

From The Guardian, 2004.
Regards,
FWD.

Dream by The Twang, Morrissey name checked at 1:47.

‘Unlock your mind it’s all free loving, and that Morrissey well he’s still just Steven, that tunes so sick I just can’t listen...’

An advert of sorts (?).
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom