Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Tom Lennon and Ben Garant (of the State, Reno 911, screenwriters of Night At The Museum) answer a reddit.com question with a Smiths song as the answer..

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC 6 Music Marc Riley show's regular slot Parallel Universe was talking about today is the 26th anniversary of Smiths split.

Around 20:10 Marc played Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice.

Reading an interview with Paddy McAloon (Prefab Sprout) in the Grauniad which opens with:

Paddy McAloon wants to set the record straight. The driving force behind Prefab Sprout once did an interview in which he declared that he was too "reasonable", too un-extraordinary, to be classified alongside his favourites: the Brian Wilsons and Michael Jacksons, those visionary dreamers from the US with a glint of the divine and a hint of the insane. He decided he belonged to a rather more modest and sensible British songwriter tradition that included Elvis Costello and Morrissey.

Well, it's 2013 and McAloon has revised his opinion. For one thing, Costello and Morrissey aren't so sensible. And he, McAloon, is not so modest. "That statement was a lie," he starts, in the genteel surrounds of a hotel lounge in his home city of Durham. "It was a lie because I'm more unreasonable than you might guess. I'm well-disguised. I don't come from any modest tradition, and I don't think Morrissey does either. His lyrics are some sort of monument to disgruntlement at the universe. Maybe it was a lack of self-knowledge on my part back then that made me say what I did. I clearly didn't realise what a megalomaniac I am."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/05/paddy-mcaloon-prefab-sprout-make-music

Steve McQueen is easilly in my top 10 albums of all time

Morrissey's capital D is intriguing.

Morrissey's capital D is intriguing.

Seeing this note is interesting. Yes, the capital "D" does stick out, however it is basically all caps.

Does anyone know the significance of "Gristle Bandage" or "Lord Mudsilde"? Is it just a weird, random Morrisseyism? :p

Does anyone know the significance of "Gristle Bandage"

I think it's Morrissey Rhyming Slang for Russell Brand. He should scrap his autobiography and rewrite it in his own slang like a modern Finnegan's Wake. :D

Russell Brand looks for God in stand-up ‘MESSIAH COMPLEX’ - theadvocate.com

“I can never really bring myself to consider Morrissey a friend because it’s like saying you’re friends with Batman or something. He’s so funny and so brilliant. I love him very dearly. My cat is called Morrissey. But I don’t think of Morrissey as a normal chap. It’s more like he’s got a tablet under his arm and he’s just come down from Mount Sinai.”

Russell Brand looks for God in stand-up ‘MESSIAH COMPLEX’ - theadvocate.com

“I can never really bring myself to consider Morrissey a friend because it’s like saying you’re friends with Batman or something. He’s so funny and so brilliant. I love him very dearly. My cat is called Morrissey. But I don’t think of Morrissey as a normal chap. It’s more like he’s got a tablet under his arm and he’s just come down from Mount Sinai.”
You know I wanna dislike Russel Brand because I am supposed to, right? :rolleyes:
but then he says stuff like this :blushing:

oh, as for me, finally met a Chinese woman who knows who Morrissey is :eek:
no, really, its a big deal for me because his name always comes up in conversation with me :cool:
eventually at some point :o

Sam Elliot was a guest star on Parks and Recreation tonight and said something along the lines of "Like Moz says, 'hold onto your friends.'" and when no one catches the reference says "Morrissey? The Smiths? Meat is Murder? Probably the best song about industrialized beef consumption ever written." Keep in mind that Sam Elliot was saying all of this. Sam Elliot. On Parks and Recreation. I was watching with my closest Moz fanatic friend and I think she and I both peed a little.

Sam Elliot was a guest star on Parks and Recreation tonight and said something along the lines of "Like Moz says, 'hold onto your friends.'" and when no one catches the reference says "Morrissey? The Smiths? Meat is Murder? Probably the best song about industrialized beef consumption ever written." Keep in mind that Sam Elliot was saying all of this. Sam Elliot. On Parks and Recreation. I was watching with my closest Moz fanatic friend and I think she and I both peed a little.

Sam Elliott is so underrated as an actor. He is fabulous. He will be another one who will be more appreciated after death than while still walking on earth.
I wonder if he has had a change of heart concerning the beef industry? He was once (still is?) a spokesman for the American Beef Council, and I am aware that he holds interest in many cattle ranches across America. Perhaps he was just taking it with the lines of, "Meat is Murder? Probably the best song about industrialized beef consumption ever written?"

Absolutely intriguing, though, if his mindset concerning the slaughter industry has changed.... xx

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom