Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Re: Guardian Music Podcast with Joey Barton

This isn't a reference to Morrissey, but I found this amusing and didn't know where else to post it.

In the "Batman" TV show episode, "Come Back, Shame" (November, 1966), the gang's hideout in an "old West" location (a TV backlot) has a mechanical Native American chief sharpening an axe blade sitting outside a saloon. A sign hanging around the thing's neck reads "Chief Crashing Bore". :)

The episode has some pretty funny digs at the movie "Shane", and stars Cliff Robertson of all people.

EDIT: Google informs me of the line in "Black Widow Strikes Again" (...hmmm...) from March 1967: "Black Widow: Dear heart, you may be caped, and you may be dynamic, but to me you are a crashing bore!"

Was Morrissey a fan of "Batman"?

Last edited:

I was watching 'Roy' on CBBC the other day with my daughter

There was some nonsense going on about something or other, and it turned out that the naughty boys were from Crumlin school - made me think of 'Who Put the M' where Moz says he must be 5 parts Old Trafford and 5 parts Crumlin and then breaks into 'Irish Blood...'

Turns out that Roy is based in Crumlin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUIv7poWJFU

Dave

This isn't a reference to Morrissey, but I found this amusing and didn't know where else to post it.

In the "Batman" TV show episode, "Come Back, Shame" (November, 1966), the gang's hideout in an "old West" location (a TV backlot) has a mechanical Native American chief sharpening an axe blade sitting outside a saloon. A sign hanging around the thing's neck reads "Chief Crashing Bore". :)

The episode has some pretty funny digs at the movie "Shane", and stars Cliff Robertson of all people.

EDIT: Google informs me of the line in "Black Widow Strikes Again" (...hmmm...) from March 1967: "Black Widow: Dear heart, you may be caped, and you may be dynamic, but to me you are a crashing bore!"

Was Morrissey a fan of "Batman"?

"If I was a pessimist I wouldn't get up, I wouldn't shave, I wouldn't watch Batman at 7.30am. Pessimists don't do that sort of thing" - 1988.

:lbf:I was looking at the pictures on the Long Island Childrens Museums facebook page and I come across photos of the temporary exhibit The mystery of the Mayan Medallion and the photo credits was Michael Joyce????:confused:

Not really unexpected I guess, considering the usual bandwagon jumping by the tabloids in Britain, but this is in today's Mirror. :mad:

Not really unexpected I guess, considering the usual bandwagon jumping by the tabloids in Britain, but this is in today's Mirror. :mad:

Who wrote that article? Was it Tony Parsons?

Yup, absolute dick that he is.

I knew it would be. The man is a devout Smiths/Morrissey obsessive grown bitter - he wrote for the NME in the late 70s/early 80s along with Paul Morley and that crowd of fellow Smiths fanatics, and he's interviewed Morrissey many, many times. It was Parsons who famously wrote, "Morrissey could invade Poland and I still wouldn't think he was a Nazi". I can't help feeling that he's jumping on this particular incident just because it's fashionable to hate Morrissey right now. I also can't read anything he writes about the Japanese disaster, because it's a matter of seconds before he starts discussing his Japanese wife and then that becomes the point of the story - as it did with this Morrissey snippet from last year:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/conte...ng-Morrissey-in-the-June-GQ-(English-edition)

Parsons is riding the wave of the anti-Morrissey feeling at the minute, but like Maconie, Brian Reade, etc etc - he's a dyed-in-the-wool fan at heart.

I knew it would be. The man is a devout Smiths/Morrissey obsessive grown bitter - he wrote for the NME in the late 70s/early 80s along with Paul Morley and that crowd of fellow Smiths fanatics, and he's interviewed Morrissey many, many times. It was Parsons who famously wrote, "Morrissey could invade Poland and I still wouldn't think he was a Nazi". I can't help feeling that he's jumping on this particular incident just because it's fashionable to hate Morrissey right now. I also can't read anything he writes about the Japanese disaster, because it's a matter of seconds before he starts discussing his Japanese wife and then that becomes the point of the story - as it did with this Morrissey snippet from last year:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/conte...ng-Morrissey-in-the-June-GQ-(English-edition)

Parsons is riding the wave of the anti-Morrissey feeling at the minute, but like Maconie, Brian Reade, etc etc - he's a dyed-in-the-wool fan at heart.

Smiths fan or not, it's not just the anti-Morrissey comments I take exception to. It's also the rest of the drivel scattered right across the article.
Didn't know he was a Smiths fan, but I guess that makes matters even worse in this particular case. :straightface:

Morrissey No.7 in greatest frontman of all time

XFM POLL

1. Liam Gallagher
2. Freddie Mercury
3. Dave Gahan
4. Dave Grohl
5. Matt Bellamy
6. Brandon Flowers
7. Morrissey
8. Jim Morrison
9. Kurt Cobain
10. Alex Turner
11. Paul Weller
12. Mick Jagger
13. Tom Meighan
14. Eddie Vedder
15. Joe Strummer
16. Ian Curtis
17. Caleb Followill
18. Ian Brown
19. Thom Yorke
20. Chris Martin

Also reported in NME

Re: Morrissey No.7 in greatest frontman of all time

XFM POLL

1. Liam Gallagher
2. Freddie Mercury
3. Dave Gahan
4. Dave Grohl
5. Matt Bellamy
6. Brandon Flowers
7. Morrissey
8. Jim Morrison
9. Kurt Cobain
10. Alex Turner
11. Paul Weller
12. Mick Jagger
13. Tom Meighan
14. Eddie Vedder
15. Joe Strummer
16. Ian Curtis
17. Caleb Followill
18. Ian Brown
19. Thom Yorke
20. Chris Martin

Also reported in NME

Brandon Flowers above Morrissey? :lbf: Brandon Flowers wants to be Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBC 6 Music Jon Holmes show just mentioned about Morrissey's live in Argentina.
You can listen again from 01:59.

Just caught a bit of Hawksbee and Jacobs on Talksport and I just caught one of them saying "...he had an album called 'Southpaw', so is clearly a boxing fan". Anyone else hear it and know if they were talking about Moz? (and just f***ed up the album name)

"Watchdog" on BBC One just had about 5 Smiths references in 2 minutes. "Panic" playing in the background of a clip about rogue tradesmen(?), followed by one of the presenters saying "Meet the Smiths [...] heaven knows, they're miserable now".

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom