Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Walked past a bar in Manchester earlier, and on a windowsill they had a copy of a magazine called 'Urban Life' with Morrissey on the cover, no idea when it's from, though...

In the book Model Home by Eric Puchner, set in 1980s LA, the bitter teenage daughter includes"people who own Smiths records but don't know the lead singer is gay" on her list of Things She Hates. :lbf:

Good Afternoon All,

Imagine my surprise when my eyes settled, whilst reading an article regarding the Newcastle United footballer Joey Barton in the June edition of Esquire, upon the following;-

"....(Uncle) Tom ignited his nephew's passion for music, and Joey has fond memories of lying on a bed, listening to the Smiths on Tom's stereo."

Those of you familiar with Mr Barton's escapades may well share my amazement.

Furthermore, the article is accompanied by a photograph of Mr Barton in reflective mood holding a solitary daffodil. I shall endeavour to scan and post this image in due course.

Love, Peace, and Trumpton,

Boethius.

Here we go (or to use football parlance 'ere we go, 'ere we go)!

Please see attached image of Mr Barton taken by Dan Burn-Forti to accompany the Esquire article written by Dan Davies mentioned in the previous post.

Attachments

• Joey Barton.jpg
    Joey Barton.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 34
Good Afternoon All,

Imagine my surprise when my eyes settled, whilst reading an article regarding the Newcastle United footballer Joey Barton in the June edition of Esquire, upon the following;-

"....(Uncle) Tom ignited his nephew's passion for music, and Joey has fond memories of lying on a bed, listening to the Smiths on Tom's stereo."

Furthermore, the article is accompanied by a photograph of Mr Barton in reflective mood holding a solitary daffodil. I shall endeavour to scan and post this image in due course.

Boethius.

I don't share your amazement. Joey is a working class lad from Merseyside who likes The Smiths a great deal.
He is an excellent professional footballer who I like a great deal however he has also been in trouble with the law and has been jailed for GBH connected to an alcohol problem, he has since abstained from drinking for over two years .
Joey funds a charity called ‘Sporting Chance’ which gives children who are raised by their grans (as he was) and granddads time away so the carers can have a break.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...barton-to-host-charity-dinner-72703-28078124/

Barton, himself is a patron of the Tamsin Gulvin Fund, a charity set up to support people who have addiction problems and no financial support.

Not all Morrissey fans are not whiter than white wallflowers, wallowing in their own self doubt. Joey is at the very least is an interesting person.
I have often stood next to fans at concerts and have thought....'Why!'

Good Afternoon All,

Boethius.

:lbf::lbf::lbf:

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather stick a cigar in the eye ?

Here we go (or to use football parlance 'ere we go, 'ere we go)!

Please see attached image of Mr Barton taken by Dan Burn-Forti to accompany the Esquire article written by Dan Davies mentioned in the previous post.

A Sweet And Tender Hooligan?

Expect Joey to be watching from the sides of the stage on one of the dates on the forthcoming tour. Morrissey loves a bit of scally rough

Just watching a new Irish documentary, What Have The Brits Ever Done For Us? -
http://uk-tv-guide.com/programme-de...ve+the+Brits+Ever+Done+for+Us%3F/Documentary/ - which already has benefitted from background music of both Everyday Is Like Sunday, and Irish Blood English Heart.

It coincides with the Queen's visit here next week. This weekend too the Irish Times produced a special supplement for the occasion, Ireland and the Queen. In it, Fintan O' Toole's article on glorious Anglo-Irish cross-fertilisation in the arts folds around a collage of the usual suspects, with Morrissey in the middle and Oscar Wilde staring over his right shoulder!

Finally I stopped for a driving break at a random hotel in Tullow, Carlow with a friend today, the Mount Wolseley, only to find myself face to face with three prominent framed pictures of Oscar Wilde and related memorabilia in the back hall of a lounge called Morrissey's Bar! - http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/4839 .

Last edited by a moderator:
On the truly excellent 'Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle', Armando Ianucci was describing what people might think of Stewart Lee and it included "Morrissey's let himself go"

On the truly excellent 'Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle', Armando Ianucci was describing what people might think of Stewart Lee and it included "Morrissey's let himself go"

about 5 minutes before that i posted on facebook "is it me or does stewart lee look like moz" and my friend replied "a chubby version"

Forgive me if I may be reaching somewhat with these two, but ~

Catching up on my 'Coronation Street' from the last wee while there was an episode broadcast a week/ten days ago where the newly returned Dennis Tanner, wayward son of Elsie Tanner, was in the Rovers recounting to Rita just how his mother met her maker. She died, he said, in Spain when her bright red sports car veered off a mountain road and fell to the "rocks below". The phrase "rocks below" was said twice in the course of the tragic tale. Could this be one of the Corrie writers making a sly nod to the lyrics of 'Shakespeare's Sister', whose cover star was the dear departed Elsie Tanner/Pat Phoenix?
Or am I mental?

Next up ~ David Beckham graces the cover of the current Gentleman's Style Journal 'Fantastic Man', the Spring & Summer 2011 issue:

Becks-Fantastic-Man-1.jpg

I thought he had a certain je-ne-sais-Moz about his look even before I found out that the photographer responsible for the spread was the genius Alasdair McLellan, one of the top fashion shooters working today and a major longtime Morrissey nut.
Or am I mental?

BBC 6 Music Sunday Service is playing Everyday is Like Sunday because it's Morrissey's birthday.
Awww, now the extract of interview (Front Row?) is also played! :)

You can listen again from 1:23 ish.

Last edited:
Watching the Stewart Lee vehicle thing now... word for f***ing word the same thing he did on tour. Pathetic to be honest. How dare Ge mock the weak when his comedy vehicle has no difference from his live show? That's what happens when you marry comedy groupies... zzz

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom