Strange/unexpected Moz references?

In this week's The Other Paper (a free publication covering Columbus, Ohio events/news) there's a review of a concert by rapper Waka Flocka Flame entitled Rapper Thrills Well-Dressed Chubby Chasers. Included is the following statement:

Waka's crowd was 60 percent female and dressed in a manner that would be fitting for either a 1980s Smiths concert or a 1950s prom. My guess is that Rihanna is responsible for the New Wave look.

I'm surprised nobody beat me to it, but there was a big Morrissey reference on Jonathan Ross tonight (30/04/10). A guest by the name of David (I forget his surname) was introduced to the stage by "Four Poofs and a Piano" with their rendition of 'Daggenham Dave'. Made my day! :)

Jonathan Ross just played Divine Comedy's single Indie Disco and one of the lyrics was "...under the poster of Morrissey with the flowers...".

After which JR went on one of his usual stories and said that Morrissey would have made a good barman from the Shining film. Dont know it myself?

I'm surprised nobody beat me to it, but there was a big Morrissey reference on Jonathan Ross tonight (30/04/10). A guest by the name of David (I forget his surname) was introduced to the stage by "Four Poofs and a Piano" with their rendition of 'Daggenham Dave'. Made my day! :)

The intro was far more interesting than the interview :)

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Transfixed in me bath last night by 'You've Got Everything Now', short story written and read on BBC Radio4 by Catherine O'Flynn. Apparently it was included in 'Paint a Vulgar Picture: Fiction Inspired By The Smiths'.
Well worth a listen.

I know this is several years late - "Shameless", season 2, episode 4, 29:45 in, "There Is A Light" is playing in the background at the pub.

In the final episode of this series of shameless, frank says "manchester so much to answer for"

A little 10 minute skit about intorducing bills to Parliament was preceded by the familiar refrain of How Soon is Now sans Moz vocals. And then the same riff was used intermittently throughout the piece. Which was like a GCSE Law student's item.

This was on the BBC News 24hr rolling news at 04:20am. I'm waffling. Too much red bull in the bloodstream

I was flipping through a book about misheard lyrics called The ants are my friends and there were two references to misheard lyrics from "Bigmouth strikes again".

(Misheard lyric first, then editor's commentary :))

"I was only joking when I said I'd like to mash a beetroot in your hair"
I can't imagine Morrissey ever being angry. He is the picture of gloomy sufferance. So when, in 'Bigmouth strikes again', he admits he was only joking when he said 'I'd like to smash every tooth in your head', it's a relief. Better still if you mishear the line as above.

"And now I know that I'm adopted"
Morrissey is not well known for talking about his private life but some listeners believe that in The Smiths' 1986 single 'Bigmouth strikes again' he reveals this intimate detail. Instead, he sings 'And now I know how Joan of Arc felt' which is perhaps also very self-revelatory - Morrissey as the Patron Saint of Martyrs?

I am currently reading Rosie Alison's debut novel "The very thought of you" and to my suprise, one of the chapters is called "Back to the old house" :) is she a morrissey fan I wonder?!

"Today, Spurs are back among Europe's elite after beating Manchester City at Eastlands in what effectively amounted to a fourth place play-off."

"City's fans took the disappointment with typical good grace, although the PA announcer's decision to play The Smiths' 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' after the final whistle was borderline black humour."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/05/red.html

Went to see the fabulous Peter Kay last night and his support was Rick Astley who sang a brilliant medley of EVERY band/singer with Manchester connections. This meant I ended up singing out loud with Rick "There Is A Light.....". :lbf:

This comment by Russel Brand on Twitter:

Russell Brand rustyrockets

Tory government, Spurs in Europe, what's next Morrissey fox hunting?

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom