Strange/unexpected Moz references?

I remember watching 'Being Human' on BBC3 ages ago and they had a character who looked like he should be a member of Morrissey's backing band, not only did he have the quiff (and the whole 'look'), a cigarette stuck behind his ear- though he didn't smoke once- but he also kept coming out with lines like '...love is just a miserable lie', amongst others, and when he finally goes off to heaven (his character is a ghost) he says 'there is a light that never goes out' and walks off through a doorway into a bright white light. They've also slipped a few Smiths lyrics into dialogue in other episodes, but nothing as obvious as the Morrissey character. :thumb:

Also, Reeves & Mortimer's comedy "Catterick" has one character who's a psychotic murderer, played by Reece Shearsmith from the league of gentlmen, and at one point he pulls up to a hotel, with an evil look on his face, as 'satan rejected my soul' plays really loudly in the background. He mouths the words to it as he walks along looking bonkers and also does a few actions e.g. for 'call me in, haul me in, pull me in' he was miming tugging on a rope.

All Moz references make me smile I love it when they turn up.
Also, sorry if these have been listed before now.

Oh and also, Jeremy Vine sometimes mentions The Smiths on eggheads on BBC2, the other day a woman called Sheila got an answer right and he said 'Well done...Sheila take a bow!" and nobody seemed to get it! Oh well, I did.

I think Reece Shearsmith is a big Moz/Smiths fan as the league used headmaster ritual on their radio show before it was made for t.v

Also another old one i remeber is when i went to see the History Boys stage play a few years back, Headmaster Ritual was used for the Videos that played whilst the set was being changed

Totally stupid...Mary Carillo announcing for the Australian Open commenting on Serena being able to use her serve to get her out of trouble - "It must be nice to have that in your arsenal"

Boyd Hilton strikes again?

4311190278_fe082548b5.jpg

DAVID TELLS POSH:
'FRANKLY, MR SHANKLY, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN!'

This has nothing do with the thread but if Boyd Hilton reads this can you have a word and try and get Gabby Logan off Radio 5 Live? She's f---ing atrocious.

This has nothing do with the thread but if Boyd Hilton reads this can you have a word and try and get Gabby Logan off Radio 5 Live? She's f---ing atrocious.
Agreed. Get Dick Bacon off while he's about it. Bring back Mayo.

Also another old one i remeber is when i went to see the History Boys stage play a few years back, Headmaster Ritual was used for the Videos that played whilst the set was being changed

It's coming to Norwich in a few months, if they did this again I would be very happy. There was another play I saw in summer which used Smiths songs between scene changes too, and at one point the main character (after faking suicide) said "Morrissey saved my life"- in order to be found he played 'How Soon Is Now' and the record stuck. :thumb:

Boyd Hilton strikes again?

4311190278_fe082548b5.jpg

DAVID TELLS POSH:
'FRANKLY, MR SHANKLY, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN!'

I love it, I'm listening to IKIO right now. :thumb:

A local radio station of ours played "Unhappy Birthday" a couple nights ago. Wasn't expecting to hear that at all, considering the usual fare on major NY radio stations.

I was listening to David Bowie's Kooks while i was waiting for the train and this line came up
"And if the homework brings you down
Then we'll throw it on the fire"
which reminded me of Sheila Take A Bow.
"Throw your homework onto the fire "

Was David Bowie an influence on Morrissey? the only thing I've ever heard Moz talk about Bowie was in the Importance of... and it wasn't exactly nice...

Oh my god - yes, David was definitely an influence. Notice in TIOBM he talks about how Bowie was relevant in the past. Moz has gotten over his snit about Bowie.

I was listening to David Bowie's Kooks while i was waiting for the train and this line came up
"And if the homework brings you down
Then we'll throw it on the fire"
which reminded me of Sheila Take A Bow.
"Throw your homework onto the fire "

Was David Bowie an influence on Morrissey? the only thing I've ever heard Moz talk about Bowie was in the Importance of... and it wasn't exactly nice...

Well spotted!

If you go to the download section and download the 2003 Record Collector article by Simon Goddard http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=105163 he made the same connection.

Goddard said that Morrissey was "crafty enough to acknowledge another of his heroes..."

Dave

I know we all know this one........British comedy show from the 1969 to 1973

On The Buses Stan's route is the number 11 to the Cemetery Gates which he works with his conductor Jack.

I'm sure Jack said, "So I'll meet you at the cemetery gates"
brilliant:thumb:

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom