Strange/unexpected Moz references?

on the 8th of july(thursday) there will be a film on german tv full of not only smiths music but also refering to the smiths in the dialogue,
EinsFestival, Do, 8. Juli 18:30 + Fr, 9. Juli 07:00 + 12:30
"klassentreffen "

quote:
a TV movie called 'Klassentreffen' on German ARD channel The story is about a class reunion 15 years after their final exam (1987/88) with the typical breaking up of old wounds, conflicts and tensions, may be a little bit too apparent.
However in the center of the story there was a school band playing a cover version of 'Ask' on this special evening, (actually like 3-5 times cause they play some scenes out of the individual subjective view of the individual characters)
here were also 'Bigmouth' and 'There is a Light' played as background music in two scenes.
there is a light that never goes out was played when the issue was brought up about a girl ,a former classmate and gf of one of the characters(frank gierings former gf) who died at a car crash after the graduation. which rings a bill in terms of the lyrics but only she passed away.
the two band leaders seemed to be big Smiths fans, especially the one who was left behind in that small town saying that he didn't want to listen to 'Strangeways' when it was released (he didn't even listen to it before the Viva Hate album) to protract the moment where he would have to realize that it was The Smiths' final album and they had broke up forever.
stills from the movie
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...entreffen+frank+giering&um=1&hl=de&tbs=isch:1
they also play oasis wonderwall

the late frank giering , one of the actors in that film,prob. unbeknownst to outside germany, was a brilliant and melancholic actor who according to the media was a shy, quiet person and didnt have much luck with love as he was to shy to approach women. he liked listening to british bands like pulp and suede
plays with his other actors that smiths song ask in the aforementioned film several times.
one of his key roles were the great "absolute giganten" , the brilliant" funny games" which was directed by MICHAEL HANEKE and playing RAF leader andreas baader in "baader"
("baader" wasnt to my taste. there are other films who tells the raf story better,more genuine, but giering was great...
he died in result of a alcoholic addiction at the age of 38 very recently.. that is the reason that the film got a rerun airing
pic of the actor:http://www.boerdebehoerde.de/2010/06/24/frank-giering-ist-tot/

edit.13 th july the ask song is on youtube now plus some important scenes with frank incl i think ,as the video poster is a smiths fan ,the scenes with smiths music in background and the viva hate dialogue is in there too(dont have a soundcard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0KqiI3Pxms

Last edited:
On Radio 4 impressions sketch show "The Secret World" (series 2, episode 2, 6 mins 15 secs), Morrissey phones Jay-Z and harangues him for undermining the English language. The Morrissey impression sounds more like Richard E Grant to me.

On Radio 4 impressions sketch show "The Secret World" (series 2, episode 2, 6 mins 15 secs), Morrissey phones Jay-Z and harangues him for undermining the English language. The Morrissey impression sounds more like Richard E Grant to me.

They like him on there. There was an impression of him a while back too where he visited Microsoft and complained about their 'Favourites' system on Internet Explorer. :lbf:

Today I was watching "The Godfather" part III and I heard Michael Corleone saying to his ex-wife Kay - while they were eating: "I am not the man you think I am". It was really surprising to me - I didn't expect for this.

"Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" was played as incidental music on Hollyoaks yesterday :straightface:

a rerun of the" smiths episode" with the smiths been refered and played at gilmore girls will be shown on german tv in a few hours
im hopelessly addicted to the show..
more about it:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=84244&highlight=gilmore+rushholme
.recently i found the transcipts to the show(lovely)
the amount of popcultural and literal references the obsure the better is amazing, beside the fact its a well written show
evven the episode titles are quite .great ."norman mailer, im pregnant":D
(season 1-4 were flawless, im not that satisfied with 5-7 but it is still great

one of the supporting actresses , a young woman obsessed with nico is def a nice change...
and she is quoting the angelic upstarts once ...hehe i wonder if moz is aware of the show
loved the scene where sonic youth, the sparks(!) and yo la tengo played on the show in one "troubadour" episode

season 4 epiode five: fundamental things apply
its the last scene:
CUT TO YALE LAUNDRY ROOM
[Rory walks in. A guy is taking some clothes out of a dryer]
rushholme ruffians is been played over the whole scene is is to be heard clear as the closing music

RORY: Oh, um. . .

GUY: Yeah?

RORY: I think my clothes were in there.

GUY: Oh, yeah, somebody had already dumped them out, so I put 'em in my basket to keep 'em clean. Hope you don't mind.

RORY: No. Thanks. Wow, that's the coolest laundry basket I've ever seen. I love The Smiths.

GUY: I had an older brother that got me into them, and when my friends were listening to Hootie and the Blowfish, I was memorizing "Meat is Murder."

RORY: Well, I have a mom who's pretty much cooler than anyone you'd meet, and she did the same thing.

GUY: Mine's a plain old soccer mom, but she's great.

RORY: Well, being away like this makes you think about stuff like that, doesn't it - home?

GUY: Totally.

RORY: Hey, would you maybe wanna get a cup of coffee sometime, in between classes or something?

GUY: I don't think so, but thanks. [leaves]

RORY: You're welcome.

the episode online:
http://www.gilmoregirlshere.com/gil...son-4-episode-5-the-fundamental-things-apply/

they do namedriop the smiths again
they did quoted the smiths themselVes again, on the last season in connection with a mandoline in songs
Season 7, Episode 11 (santas secret stuff)

BRIAN: Oh, check out the mandolin.

ZACH: Yeah, right. She's a beaut, huh?

BRIAN: Yeah cool. So what kind of stuff you been working on?

ZACH: Mostly I've just been messing around. I wrote one song that was kind of White Stripes' "Little Ghost" meets the Decemberists meets Gulag Orkestar meets, like, "Losing my Religion" meets Jethro Burns on that Steve Goodman album meets "Battle of Evermore" meets The Smiths meets... some other stuff.

Last edited:
On tonights eastenders there was a Market trader called Dagenham Dave's

Also on tonights emmerdale the question "what difference does it make" was asked

I was in a Post office queue yesterday morning, wearing a "Ringleaders" tour shirt, and "First of the gang" came on their Radio... The cashier said she enjoyed watching me sing and Dance along ( ...well, just a little bit of Dancing, I had the Dog with me on a lead, so I couldn't really "Let Rip", and bust some proper Mozzer moves..) when I got to be finally served..does that count ??

Really funny story about violent Morrissey fans:

Sorrow had skipped out on his rent and i began to miss him. The town i had run away to had also turned out not to be big enough to keep me out of even the most avoidable trouble. If you can believe this i had gotten involved in a mutualy destructive relationship with a lady state trooper I had met while getting Sorrow's motorcycle out of the impound lot. We loaded it into the back of the van owned by the disaster of a music group I was playing in. But not 6 feet outside of the gate Sorrow decides to start the thing up behind me and we were pulled over with motorcycle exhust pouring out of my driver's side window like a scene from some stoner comedy. Is it illegal to have a running vehicle inside another running vehicle? well it took a long time to find that out and that's how i got to know Louise. She had me walk the line of a drunk driving test and i guess i was pretty attractive. She was too. I told her the name of my band was M.D.C. . She already had my address so getting my phone number wasn't a problem and for a while we were hanging out. I still suspect that it was one of my room mates who told her that MDC did not only stand for "Multi Death Corporation" but by that time our forbidden passion had kind of run it's course anyway and when Louise dropped by now in the middle of the night it was to place speeding tickets on my parked car. Soon I had so many points on my lisence that i was risking serious jail time if i was pulled over for anything at all so it seemed like a good idea to head out of state. Sorrow had made himself comfortable on the Lower East Side of New York City. He was living with this rock band who were spearheading an exciting new sound known as "grunge" who got pretty angry when i asked them if it wasn't really lame how much they sounded like Neil Young but for a short time i crashed on their sofa, and earned walking around money hustling pool at local bars. I would accomplish this by going to warm up at a pool hall over on broadway called "Le Q" before hitting the bars, and then not drinking untill i had a pocketful of bills. Le Q was run by Vietmanese immagrants whose Occidental language of choice was French and who took a shine to Sorrow and I. They would let us play in the afternoons free of charge and give pointers on our game. One older guy who ran the counter had this trick where he would take a running leap from across the room on the break, invariably finishing the game of nine ball, which is all they played. "Nine Ball strategy." was a catch phrase. The evening crowd at Le Q were young Vietmanese kids who would speed up on roller blades together around 7 or 8 o'clock. They all had tall laquered brush cuts, black long filtered cigarettes and an inordinate fondness for the singer Morrissey. Bootleg Cd's in the Jukebox, immaculate tour shirts worn prominetly untucked, His face stitched onto the back of their Bomber jackets, whole bit. This fascination with the former singer of The Smiths at first caused me to not take the Vietmanese Roller Blade Gang very seriously. The utter wrongness of my very naive and foolish stance concerning the matter was driven home to me very quickly one early summer evening when the end of Sorrow's que stick inadverntantly grazed the bum of one the roller blade gang's girlfriend (this is not a metaphor). Out came the butterfly knives, the breaking of que sticks into sharp and dangerous points and even unholstered were the small automatic pistols which were then waved under my stunned snout and in front of Sorrow's watery blue eyes. Luckily for us our french speaking friend from the afternoon shift was still hanging around, and after some furious yelling and clicking and unclicking of automatic pistol safety latches we were allowed to apologize for our great oafish clumsiness and agree that yes in the future if we are ever to return to the pool hall, which was generally thought to be a bad idea, that we should definately take a table in the basement preferably in a corner far away from more civilized peoples so that such an outrage might never happen a second time. Later that night taking a dollar a ball from some guitar player from Los Angeles over at Sophie's on 5th, I made sure to play the Smiths on the juke and was heard to observe loudly that Morrissey had every right to look as smug as he does, which prompted the guitar player to call me a fag. Is it any wonder that touring bands get beat up in New York City bars so often? But I just smiled and let it ride, it really is best to avoid random violence if you can, you never know who you're dealing with on any given night.

from Jack Terricloth's book, Cloth Dam Sorrow

Just played Ludus on BBC6 Music's Stuart Maconie Freak Zone. A little mention of Moz prior to playing the "tune"

Can't recall the name of the track but it was obviously improvised. It was also obviously a big steaming pile of elephant dung but hey, ho.

There is a tv show called "Being Human" that is about a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost that all live together. It is a comedy/drama and is really good. In the third episode the main characters meet a ghost that died in the mid-Eighties. The ghost loves eighties music and is a huge smiths fan. He quotes the smiths at least four times, saying things like, "I always thought love was just a miserable lie" and "It's death for no reason, and death for no reason is murder." They also play a lot of great songs like, "Girlfriend in a Coma," "Love Will Tear us Apart," "Tainted Love," "A Promise," and "Ghost Town."

There is a tv show called "Being Human" that is about a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost that all live together. It is a comedy/drama and is really good. In the third episode the main characters meet a ghost that died in the mid-Eighties. The ghost loves eighties music and is a huge smiths fan. He quotes the smiths at least four times, saying things like, "I always thought love was just a miserable lie" and "It's death for no reason, and death for no reason is murder." They also play a lot of great songs like, "Girlfriend in a Coma," "Love Will Tear us Apart," "Tainted Love," "A Promise," and "Ghost Town."

:lbf:

did the guy from birdwatch did quote the smiths again lately?

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom