Strange/unexpected Moz references?

BBC 6 Music is playing Smiths Oxford Apollo 1985 live at the moment, tune in!

Nowhere Fast, Shakespeare's Sister is on now.

Listen again from Gideon Coe 2:16.

Last edited:
BBC 6 Music is playing Smiths Oxford Apollo 1986 live at the moment, tune in!

Nowhere Fast, Shakespeare's Sister is on now.

Listen again from Gideon Coe 2:16.

Fantastic. I was just about to go to bed...

I bet he's not playing one of the original BBC Transcription discs (like the one I have :D)

Dave

Gideon just said that he'd read on Edwyn Collins twitter feed that he and Johnny Marr are in the studio together tomorrow recording a new track.

http://twitter.com/edwyncollins

Bonus!

Dave

Amsuing article on the GU blog about song titles beyond parody. Journalist mentions meeting Morrissey:

"Songwriters have good reason to complain when po-faced journalists miss the joke, but misreading their intentions in the opposite direction can be more perilous. I once made the mistake of telling Morrissey how much I liked the witty self-parody of How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel and was rewarded with a withering glare. "It's amusing when you say it," he said unsmilingly. "I don't know why. Isn't it something we all feel at some stage?" The shrivelling of Morrissey's spirit since the Smiths can be measured by the fact that Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now is funny and How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel is not"

Full article here and obvious Morrissey fan responding:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/jun/09/tracklists-tears

In the latest issue of 'The Word' magazine there is a Christopher Eccleston interview conducted by Andrew Harrison (Moz-favoured journo). The actor is promoting a forthcoming BBC film about John Lennon :sleeping:. CE talks a little about his own musical background, leaving Manchester in 1983 for London but 'carried The Smiths down with him' (not literally. Emotionally.) Saw them twice at Brixton Academy, '85 and '86, two best nights of his life, etc.
At the close of the talk Harrison asks, having played Lennon, would he consider playing another Northern legend ~ Morrissey. He then replied, according to Harrison in a 'thrillingly perfect Mozzvoice', "I'd like to think I could, but I'm afraid I'm slightly past it'. Harrison replies 'You've been practising the voice then' to which Eccleston, still in 'character', says "All my life."

My daughter found this on a figure skating community she visits:

huh.jpg
haha that reminds me of sth moz said in an interview one..
about which group "needs" him the most
"figure skaters":p

At 50 seconds...

Graffiti reads "That joke is not funny anymore"

Do I win £10 for the most tenuous link? :lbf:

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
In the latest issue of 'The Word' magazine there is a Christopher Eccleston interview conducted by Andrew Harrison (Moz-favoured journo). The actor is promoting a forthcoming BBC film about John Lennon :sleeping:. CE talks a little about his own musical background, leaving Manchester in 1983 for London but 'carried The Smiths down with him' (not literally. Emotionally.) Saw them twice at Brixton Academy, '85 and '86, two best nights of his life, etc.
At the close of the talk Harrison asks, having played Lennon, would he consider playing another Northern legend ~ Morrissey. He then replied, according to Harrison in a 'thrillingly perfect Mozzvoice', "I'd like to think I could, but I'm afraid I'm slightly past it'. Harrison replies 'You've been practising the voice then' to which Eccleston, still in 'character', says "All my life."

Thanks for this Joe, really interesting. I am intrigued to see the Lennon programme as Christopher Ecclestone is top notch in most things he does. :thumb:

Yesterday before playing 'How Soon Is Now', Paul McCloon, TodayFM, remarked, a propos of no particular provocation, that poor Morrissey gets way too much stick and people should leave him alone!

Like.

My daughter found this on a figure skating community she visits:

huh.jpg

Evan Lysacek so totally did not make that mix himself. They don't have Morrissey in Naperville.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom