Strange/unexpected Moz references?

I was on holiday in Finland last week. On Saturday night there was on telly (YLE TV1) a Finnish talk show/stand up comedy called 'Make Up'. The house band was called The Smiths! I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard it. But it was, the drummer 'Mike Joyce' told some stupid joke, can't even remember what kind of.

It was the first time I saw the program, so I have no idea if the house band is always called 'The Smiths' or was it just because Saturday was Morrissey's birthday.

Trolling recent News headlines.....

Morrissey and The Smiths brought back to life on the Melbourne stage

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta.../story-e6frf96f-1225871205942?from=public_rss

Q&A: Russell Brand Speaks 'Greek,' Dirty Lyrics & More

http://www.spin.com/articles/qa-russell-brand-speaks-greek-dirty-lyrics-more

"Aside from Aldous Snow, has your comedy been influenced by any musicians?
Morrissey. The lingering touch of the frosty fingers of Steven Patrick are in every word that I utter. "

Aural Fixation - Morrissey Was Worth $45
http://alibi.com/index.php?scn=music&story=32251

^A WONDERFULLY written review of Moz at the Sunshine Theatre last year (written to promote a Birthday party this year)

" I finally got that Morrissey's most ingenious caper has been convincing us that he's a private, de-sexed, stone-sober Englishman—when he's anything but. He made no secret of savoring every moment on stage. Between gorgeous, lilting melodies, he was growling and yelping and quipping the words. He used his barrel-chested falsetto to poke the Serious and Heartbroken Tragic Hero in the ribs."

:guitar::thumb::clap:

On R5Live yesterday Chris Packham (?) of Springwatch was on the Richard Bacon show and was asked about why he tried to get Smiths songtitles into his narration. "Cos otherwise I'd get a bit bored" was the answer (or words to that effect.) They then proceeded to play a montage of him using Smiths songtitles. in Springwatch.

This one he was most proud of was Headmaster Ritual as he managed to space it out over a sentence and it was gramatically correct.

I assume the whole thing is on I-player but I'm not going to give the link as I'm not that sad

Last edited:
Interview in Today's Observer Mark Ronson: This charming man

Ronson received death threats on MySpace from teenage Morrissey fans who were outraged at his cover of the Smiths' "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before". "I'm proud of Version, I think it was cool,"

Dave

Today's BBC 6 Music Adam Buxton's Big Mixtapes guest Sharon Horgan picked 'I Know It's Over'.

Sharon said that she went to see Smiths when she was 15, shocked to see some wankers spat at Morrissey. :(

Last edited:
Morrisey is mentioned in this months Doctor Who magazine. the writer of an upcoming episode, Gareth Roberts, wanted to call his episode 'Something at the top of the stairs' because you can sing its title to 'Something is squeezing my skull' but it will be called 'The Lodger' instead. The preview ends with the writer reflecting on whether there really will be true love in modern life.

Page 118 of the new Entertainment Weekly there is a little section called "On my iPod: Russell Brand." He mentions listening to The Libertines, The Smiths, The Rolling Stones and Katy Perry. Here is the quote about The Smiths.

The Smiths: Nowhere Fast
"Elvis was my first musical love. But Morrissey was like some ferryman ushering me across the river Styx of my tortured adolescence. Morrissey makes it all right to be weird."

Morrisey is mentioned in this months Doctor Who magazine. the writer of an upcoming episode, Gareth Roberts, wanted to call his episode 'Something at the top of the stairs' because you can sing its title to 'Something is squeezing my skull' but it will be called 'The Lodger' instead. The preview ends with the writer reflecting on whether there really will be true love in modern life.

Funny, I spotted a YOR reference in that magazine a few months ago!

This week Andrew Collins sits for Gideon Coe on BBC 6 Music, he's asking listeners about Morrissey who is getting better with age or not.

People in UK can listen again online.

This week Andrew Collins sits for Gideon Coe on BBC 6 Music, he's asking listeners about Morrissey who is getting better with age or not.

People in UK can listen again online.

That man is a hateful, lying journalist............is there different kind?:mad:

After playing Everyday is Like Sunday, Claire Sturgess on NME Radio talked about a Morrissey incident earlier this week.
Her young female collegue who didn't know anything about Morrissey said to a fellow male collegue was like Morrissey.
Claire said that he didn't look like Morrissey.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom