Strange/unexpected Moz references?

remember the night the importance of being morrissey was aired,was on channel 4 at 9pm on a sunday night,felt like a big deal because M was never on british tv for a good few years,so many good bits in it and great for any newbies.

Wokery will destroy the world. The songs feature Morrissey because he wrote them and they wouldn’t be songs without him. God knows where all this will end. Soon they’ll be burning books and removing vocals from songs to appease the loud moron

Wokery will destroy the world. The songs feature Morrissey because he wrote them and they wouldn’t be songs without him. God knows where all this will end. Soon they’ll be burning books and removing vocals from songs to appease the loud moron

It's not "wokery". It's bigotry.

You realize this is satire?

You realize this is satire?
The line ‘despite being fronted by noted piece of shit Morrissey’ isn’t satirical, I’d love them to show the same energy and hatred for Bowie the rapist or Lennon the wife beater. They won’t because it’s not fashionable to attack. They’re just cowards

sandieshawofficial-01062023-0001.jpg

Sandie Shaw & Shaun Duggan (aka Sonic Yootha).

"TONY WILSON on MORRISSEY Pop star? You must be joking."

"TONY WILSON on MORRISSEY Pop star? You must be joking."

the story ( and audacity? ) of Morrissey telling Tony in 1980 ( pre-Smiths/pre-Marr presumably) to come to his house so he could tell him that he was in the future going to become a pop star, is very strange. I mean, I know M was friends with Boon, but how close was he to Tony to make ( command?) that kind of request?

And I’m surprised M didn’t mention this in his autobiography. Or did Tony make up this story to emphasize what he saw as Morrissey’s madness/genius?

Tony says some nice things here, but it always irks me when Tony uses Morrissey’s first name, it seemed he did it as a way to keep Morrissey in his ‘place’, refusing to acknowledge Morrissey’s accomplishment. Petty really.

Badly written article of the day:
"Oasis & The Smiths Members Release New Single"

Which was just a poorly-titled rehash of:
"Listen to Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds’ new single ‘Open The Door, See What You Find’ with Johnny Marr"

An article in the Times about 1975 frontman Matty Healy has a couple of Morrissey mentions. Full article below:

Matty Healy is that rare thing — a pop star who delights in ruffling feathers. Which, call me old-fashioned, is one of the things that pop stars are meant to do. The most telling part of his excellent recent interview with The New Yorker came when Healy addressed the subject of Harry Styles. This is sensitive ground — the two have been compared for years.

They are both effeminate but basically straight, curly-haired sex symbols who have eclipsed their bands; Styles with One Direction, Healy with the 1975, although he’s never gone solo. Both occupy that volatile space between commercial and cool and both have been romantically linked to Taylor Swift.

Yet there is one big difference between the two, impishly highlighted by Healy, 34, in the interview. Discussing how the 1975 invited Styles, 29, to join them at one of their shows, Healy said: “He gave us a hard no . . . he’s afraid that he would have to say something.” This has never been a problem for Healy.

He has sung with insight and candour about masculinity and online culture, tweeted after the death of George Floyd that “if you truly believe that ‘all lives matter’ you need to stop facilitating the end of black ones” and told anti-abortion lawmakers in Alabama that “you are not men of God, you are simply misogynistic wankers”. Responding to rumours of dating Swift in 2014, Healy said that being her boyfriend would be “emasculating”, something that Styles, Calvin Harris, Tom Hiddleston et al may well have felt but didn’t admit in public.

In 2014 I met Healy at Pikes, the hotel in Ibiza where Wham! shot the video for Club Tropicana in 1983 and Freddie Mercury had a birthday party that is said to have featured dwarfs with saucers of cocaine on their heads. Healy seemed right at home, chain-smoking Marlboro Lights by the pool in a trilby. In some ways he is a better fit with the licentious, morally nebulous Eighties than he is with today’s pristine pop landscape. “I’m an easy person to dislike,” Healy told me, adding that he had “proper pop stars and stuff wanting to shag me all the time”. Did he mean Swift, who was pictured around that time in a 1975 T-shirt? Fabulously, he said he wrestled with questions such as “Am I the Messiah, you know?”

You could compare Healy to another fey, controversial frontman of a Manchester band. He certainly doesn’t share Morrissey’s politics, describing himself as a “traditional progressive who is suspicious of woke-ism”, or his attitude towards meat, having taken bites of steak on stage. He does, though, have some of Morrissey’s willingness to offend.

That was the case in February when Healy appeared on The Adam Friedland Show, a woke-lampooning podcast in which he laughed while the hosts imitated Inuit and Chinese accents and joked about the ethnic heritage of the American rapper Ice Spice. Healy later apologised, saying, “We all get it wrong, and I just have to do it in public.” In April he deleted his Instagram account, stating, “I make a joke out of everything and I’ve taken it too far sometimes.”

In this case, yes, although you wonder if his links to the squeaky-clean Swift played a part in his contrition. While I hope he doesn’t turn into Morrissey, I also hope he doesn’t become like Swift, Styles and their fellow A-listers, who burnish their liberal credentials but seldom say anything that can be construed as spiky or even unusual. You could argue that Healy is at the rung below them on the fame ladder — they have more to lose. Although I suspect he would be like this even if he were a megastar. And what a megastar he would make.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom