Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Bits and bobs left.
FWD.

From Twitter - is Gelato on the left or right? I didn't like to ask on there due to it revealing I don't know anything about shirts. (I think left?)

IMG_20210722_001915.png

In a recent interview with Joe Rogan, Jakob Dylan (son of that Dylan) was discussing music tribalism when he said that, back in the '80s, you could be a fan of The Police or The Smiths, but you couldn't be a fan of both. As I was too young to know any better in the '80s, I wonder how much truth there is to this statement? Were The Police and The Smiths really representative of rival musical factions? If so, this is the first I've heard of it...

In a recent interview with Joe Rogan, Jakob Dylan (son of that Dylan) was discussing music tribalism when he said that, back in the '80s, you could be a fan of The Police or The Smiths, but you couldn't be a fan of both. As I was too young to know any better in the '80s, I wonder how much truth there is to this statement? Were The Police and The Smiths really representative of rival musical factions? If so, this is the first I've heard of it...
No, I suspect he was using The Police as a random example of "mainstream rock" (certainly in terms of what they became, maybe not where they started) whereas the The Smiths were "alternative" - that's all.

(You could also argue that there's not always a huge distance between some of Morrissey's lyrics and some of Sting's, as in:

There's a red fox torn by a huntsman's pack
(That's my soul up there)
There's a black-winged gull with a broken back
(That's my soul up there)
There's a little black spot on the sun today
It's the same old thing as yesterday
I've stood here before inside the pouring rain
With the world turning circles running 'round my brain
I guess I'm always hoping that you'll end this reign
But it's my destiny to be the king of pain

...although I don't think Sting is ever funny, whereas Morrissey is, of course, frequently hilarious.)

Follows on from the time stamped part about 50s & 60s music.

From my own POV at the time, it was definitely not ok to admit liking anything outside the realms of 'indie' (and even then, certain artists under that heading didn't mix either).
Obviously, with age, the pallet broadens and it isn't a crime to enjoy things you'd have to be seen to turn your nose up at back then.
Regards,
FWD.

New sighting (feel free to add to its own thread if necessary etc... 😉)

Very cute thread on Facebook, which I can't share due to group restrictions, but this story stood out (especially the train driver's/railway signalman's cap; if you know, you know). My heart aches for the poor Saab though.

Screenshot_20210724-013733_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210724-013813_Chrome.jpg

Very cute thread on Facebook, which I can't share due to group restrictions, but this story stood out (especially the train driver's/railway signalman's cap; if you know, you know). My heart aches for the poor Saab though.

View attachment 74751View attachment 74752

Wonderful. Thank You for posting from your o super secret FB caverns.

The Holy Grail now is a snap of Him in that cap. í always figured it was so "treasured" that he only wore it in the privacy of his indoors.
And í still do like to think that it could be one of Will Hay's costume caps from the great "Oh, Mr Porter!" {1937} that Moz somehow acquired from someone somewhere...

The Holy Grail now is a snap of Him in that cap. í always figured it was so "treasured" that he only wore it in the privacy of his indoors.
And í still do like to think that it could be one of Will Hay's costume caps from the great "Oh, Mr Porter!" {1937} that Moz somehow acquired from someone somewhere...

ps ~ could Moz be a secret Model Train enthusiast? If it's good enough for Rod the Mod...

I always thought it was a joke. Or a very kinky secret. 😶

I LOVE the fact that Stanley was thoughtful enough to include a description of the post-cap quiff! 'Immaculate' - naturally! I've noticed it before when he wore a hat during Smiths-era appearances - 'he doesn't get hat hair.'

Such is the magic of The Quiff ™️.

I always thought it was a joke. Or a very kinky secret. 😶

I LOVE the fact that Stanley was thoughtful enough to include a description of the post-cap quiff! 'Immaculate' - naturally! I've noticed it before when he wore a hat during Smiths-era appearances - 'he doesn't get hat hair.'

Such is the magic of The Quiff ™️.

Thank You also for passing along Stanley's tale, as it contains that section on his poster loss. That helped, a little... 🙏

Thank You also for passing along Stanley's tale, as it contains that section on his poster loss. That helped, a little... 🙏

You're very welcome. As always. ❤

The thread is in a group called 'The official Smiths and Morrissey Fan Club' (🤭).
There's a couple of nice stories but none contains words as grand as "I don't think I could drink a pint of tea."

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom