Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Fascinating, that such a simple piece of writing can still arouse a rather great deal of interest 35 years later.

Surprised that "I don't know where you are anymore" (Late Night, Maudlin Street?) or "hideous heathens" never became part of a lyric.

Also, shocked by the rudeness. Poor Muriel, they seemed to get on so well.

Amused and touched by the crayon touch, as always.View attachment 67012

Tbf Muriel can't really hide how ridiculous she thinks his opinions are.

Scotland was more literal & rational than artistic in the olden days.

Without the Irish our theatrical history would be next to nothing.

Tbf Muriel can't really hide how ridiculous she thinks his opinions are.

Scotland was more literal & rational than artistic in the olden days.

Without the Irish our theatrical history would be next to nothing.
Yes, their 1987 chat appeared to be more pleasant.

The Moz/Love story previously teased by Murray Chalmers...

"When my mum got the keys to the two-room tenement flat we had to burn sulphur candles to kill off an infestation of distinctly untimorous beasties and I was so scared to go to the outside toilet during the night that my mum would let me pee in a potty as a treat.

It’s nothing to reminisce fondly about but we were very poor, so poor that our neighbours would give me comics when their own kids had finished with them.

Their children were all girls though so, even now, what I can’t tell you about the Cathy and Claire column in Jackie and the Four Marys in Bunty just isn’t worth remembering. (Incidentally, when I used to work with Morrissey, I once proudly told him the above fact and he told me that Courtney Love was also an expert on the Four Marys. I have no idea how the Marys crossed the Atlantic or how they affected Courtney’s music, lyrics or lifestyle but am glad to share such an arcane knowledge with such an esteemed rocker.)
"

Excerpted from Mr Chalmer's boxing day column here ~

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/lif...ste-of-nostalgic-food-memories-as-2021-looms/

Why they posted this 4 year old chart today is anyone's guess. It's not been updated since it was discussed here.
Morrissey = #35.
FWD.

I'm just dying to know if Moz actually DID anything scandalous in the 80s or was it all words?

I can't remember what he said about Boy George.
The nastiest comment I recall was in an interview with Matter, 1983. Those early interviews with American publications sometimes were quite different from the ones he did back home.

"The Smiths, then, might seem like another sex and fashion band, like Culture Club. However, Morrissey thinks differently, tagging Boy George "boring, almost parental, the Agatha Christie of popular music.

"He's the festive f*gg*t that everybody laughs at, but not with. If he is trying to do something for his gender he is failing. It is just siding with the heterosexist attitude that all gay people are fanciful fairies that go along with teddy bears on their shoulders and are very trivial people."

I'm sure he did something at some point, just not sure how scandalous that would appear compared to what other pop stars did...

The nastiest comment I recall was in an interview with Matter, 1983. Those early interviews with American publications sometimes were quite different from the ones he did back home.

"The Smiths, then, might seem like another sex and fashion band, like Culture Club. However, Morrissey thinks differently, tagging Boy George "boring, almost parental, the Agatha Christie of popular music.

"He's the festive f*gg*t that everybody laughs at, but not with. If he is trying to do something for his gender he is failing. It is just siding with the heterosexist attitude that all gay people are fanciful fairies that go along with teddy bears on their shoulders and are very trivial people."

I'm sure he did something at some point, just not sure how scandalous that would appear compared to what other pop stars did...

Bless him, he may as well have said, 'I'm a serious gay person'!

Bless him, he may as well have said, 'I'm a serious gay person'!
He did use the word "masculine" to describe himself, The Smiths and their music a lot while shamelessly flaunting his Wildean ideas in that interview. 😁

Last edited:
Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom