Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Just found out that the fragrant writer Andrew O'Hagan has a new novel out, titled "Mayflies" {with quite a "World Won't Listen"-ish cover?}, a tale of teenage friendships found & lost, which includes a recollection of a trip from the West Coast of Scotland down to see The Smiths at the Festival of the Tenth Summer in 1986 at Manchester's G-MEX.

Some of the reviews have quoted lines such as ~

"Morrissey came brandishing a licence, a whole manner of permission, as if a new kind of belonging could be made from feeling left out, like nobody knew you as he did … every word and every guitar lick felt like a statement only they could make, and only we could hear, those songs rolling from the stage to irrigate our lives."

"Morrissey hits the air like a chip pan fire"

And so forth.

Any excuse to re-link Mr O'Hagan's finely perfumed piece on Moz, from the "London Review of Books ", in 2004, in which he mentions said Summer of '86 ~

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v26/n05/andrew-o-hagan/cartwheels-over-broken-glass?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Cartwheels over broken glass indeed! :hearteyes:

That was a great week in Manchester, there were actually 10 events that took place over the week, with the G Mex gig being the finale. I saw James for the first time at the 5th event that took place at The Russell club. The G mex event was fantastic and The Smiths played a really upbeat set to I think the largest crowd they ever played to in the UK.

Last edited:
Moz question on Radio2 Popmaster Quiz today, after a section of The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get is played, DJ Gary Davies asks, what is Morrissey's first name? The contestant answers correctly and gets six bonus points!

Screenshot_20200915-152558_Chrome.jpg

Well, this is quite something.

Madonna has announced she is co-writing & directing her own biopic {there's an idea for the other M...?} and has been teasing various research she is currently doing for the screenplay.
She posted the following peek at her stash of demo tape cassettes that she is going through , and some big nose/genius spotted a Reprise Records advance cassette of "Viva Hate" among the pile...

Viva Hate Madonna.jpg

Last edited:
From a Facebook group that won't allow media embedding:

"Video: THE SMITHS - THIS CHARMING MAN, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE and HEAVEN KNOWS I’M MISERABLE NOW

This month in 1984, THE SMITHS played the Parc Des Expositions, Paris, (December 1st, 1984).

Bringing to a close a hectic year for The Smiths, the band performed at the Parc Des Expositions near the Porte de Versailles in the south of Paris.

The set took from the singles and debut album but also introduced some unreleased numbers that would form part of the second album ‘Meat is Murder’ issued in February 1985. The five tracks were ‘What She Said’, ‘Rusholme Ruffians’, ‘I Want The One I Can’t Have’, ‘Nowhere Fast’ and ‘Barbarism Begins At Home’.

The video here is a bootleg of a TV broadcast of the show that is slightly muddied by an overdose of video effects. No matter, the footage offers a rare chance to see The Smiths’ performing in 1984.

The video features three tracks from the concert, THIS CHARMING MAN, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE and HEAVEN KNOWS I’M MISERABLE NOW.

You can read more about the gig at the marvellous Smiths’ live history page, ‘Passions Just Like Mine’:

——————————————————————
Thank you to everyone who has joined DECADE. As many of you know the page is just me, Paul. I write and research the articles, and edit the videos, often reinventing them entirely. THE CRUNCH. It now takes almost an entire day of unpaid work to put together content for the page. If you could see fit to make a small donation then I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you and best wishes, Paul

Just visit one of the links to donate (all secure connections):

PAYPAL: https://www.paypal.me/decade7787

JUSTGIVING: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/decade77"

Last edited:
From a Facebook group that won't allow media embedding:

"Video: THE SMITHS - THIS CHARMING MAN, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE and HEAVEN KNOWS I’M MISERABLE NOW

This month in 1984, THE SMITHS played the Parc Des Expositions, Paris, (December 1st, 1984).

Bringing to a close a hectic year for The Smiths, the band performed at the Parc Des Expositions near the Porte de Versailles in the south of Paris.

The set took from the singles and debut album but also introduced some unreleased numbers that would form part of the second album ‘Meat is Murder’ issued in February 1985. The five tracks were ‘What She Said’, ‘Rusholme Ruffians’, ‘I Want The One I Can’t Have’, ‘Nowhere Fast’ and ‘Barbarism Begins At Home’.

The video here is a bootleg of a TV broadcast of the show that is slightly muddied by an overdose of video effects. No matter, the footage offers a rare chance to see The Smiths’ performing in 1984.

The video features three tracks from the concert, THIS CHARMING MAN, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE and HEAVEN KNOWS I’M MISERABLE NOW.

You can read more about the gig at the marvellous Smiths’ live history page, ‘Passions Just Like Mine’:

——————————————————————
Thank you to everyone who has joined DECADE. As many of you know the page is just me, Paul. I write and research the articles, and edit the videos, often reinventing them entirely. THE CRUNCH. It now takes almost an entire day of unpaid work to put together content for the page. If you could see fit to make a small donation then I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you and best wishes, Paul

Just visit one of the links to donate (all secure connections):

PAYPAL: https://www.paypal.me/decade7787

JUSTGIVING: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/decade77"

This footage, from what í can SEE, confirms my highly academic theory on The Smiths lack of touring in Continental Europe being caused, not by Morrissey's ties to English apron things, or Rough Trade thrupenny-bit-ness, but by the hellish scarcity of quality hairspray.

í am still collating the data. All contributions welcome...

This footage, from what í can SEE, confirms my highly academic theory on The Smiths lack of touring in Continental Europe being caused, not by Morrissey's ties to English apron things, or Rough Trade thrupenny-bit-ness, but by the hellish scarcity of quality hairspray.

í am still collating the data. All contributions welcome...

Whatever it was, it must have been particularly bad in Finland.

Finland.jpg

Hair looked good though?

Provinssirock84.jpg

Provinssirock2.jpg

(To be fair, he got a long overdue haircut at some point after the Versailles show, probably in Ireland. No hairspray in the world would have been able to contain that mess.)

“Those faxes”. :rolleyes:

we could only wonder if they ever really existed. Anyway, supposedly there was only one, but now there are more ?

:unsure:

🤒

the 🥃 in Spencer wrote 'those faxes':lbf:
from recent activities he continues to partake of the liquor:blushing:

"If Morrissey was racist would he have a Jewish drummer?"

Dear Jo Sleeve from the Ritz

Well, that's a very interesting question, isn't it?
I believe such people are called "tokens" (nothing to do with hobbits) and they have been around for a long time, so they already existed in 1992. I'm pretty certain you've already seen one. They come in all shapes and sizes. It could be that quite large singing black lady from America, or this tiny man from China. You can find them in woods, on beaches, or even at your local supermaket.
In fact, tokens can be anybody anywhere.
You could even become one yourself when you grow up. Who knows? Wouldn't that be cool?!? 😎

You can send all the other good questions you have to:
Charley Darwin
Girl Talk
22b Sesame St
Poole.

Oh dear oh dear.

"If Morrissey was racist would he have a Jewish drummer?"

That hasn't aged well. Those faxes Spencer received would tell a different story.

And the music journalists are 'ugly'

They haven't told a different story though - they've never been published & that letter has been.

“Those faxes”. :rolleyes:

we could only wonder if they ever really existed. Anyway, supposedly there was only one, but now there are more ?

:unsure:

Considering the homophobic slurs that get chucked Moz's way now - I wonder how many got thrown his way then??? I suspect there's a lot of glass houses.

Also look at the state of Quantick now people he likes are getting a kicking...

20200918_154400.jpg

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom