Strange/unexpected Moz references?

This is from a few weeks ago after the release of Mamma Mia 2 -

Here we go again: which jukebox musical should be next?
by Jim Garber, The Guardian, July 31, 2018

"The Smiths/Morrissey

A highly eccentric Smiths jukebox musical was created back in 2005 by the theater company Anonymous Society under the title Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others. I saw that show in its debut in Dublin in 2005 and loved it for its sheer oddity and daring. It’s well worth re-staging the piece in the world’s artier venues. Or something new could be created that’s stays true to the post-teen angst that courses through the entire Smiths/Morrissey catalogue."

Satire site Hardtimes.net take the current topical op-ed notion and apply it to Morrissey & band:

Opinion: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside Morrissey’s Touring Band.

"The Hard Times is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a member of Morrissey’s touring band whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers."

https://thehardtimes.net/hardstyle/...he-resistance-inside-morrisseys-touring-band/

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Tag line to sell your gig:

FB_IMG_1539240605873.jpg

I believe some of the band frequent this forum - so best of luck.
Regards,
FWD.

Briefly mentioned alongside Marr, Lydon & a host of others in an article surrounding the musicians writing to the PM re: Brexit.

By Mick Hume - Spiked Magazine.

Geldof: God gave rock’n’roll to EU.
And the rock Remainers claim Leave voters are the mad ones.

"Meanwhile, Brexit has caused a similar split in the Smiths, with guitarist Johnny Marr consolidating his place in the Guardian’s heart by signing Geldof’s letter while Morrissey is treated as a pop pariah for daring to call the Leave vote ‘magnificent’."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/10/10/geldof-god-gave-rocknroll-to-eu/

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
A couple of lyric stencils appearing on Twitter:

Regards,
FWD.

Morrissey and Marr as characters in some kind of dystopian fiction (sorry, spoiler in link also sorry, not slash fanfic as far as I can tell):

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldpowers/comments/9ac5w6/roleplay911_and_morrissey_dies_part_15/

Somebody read it and let me know if it's worth reading the whole thing!

Couldn't really make heads or tails of this, Morrissey is some kind of benevolent leader and Marr is a swashbuckling warrior - they are on the same side. One of the other Smiths is with the enemy. Morrissey's last words are: "Johnny, I..."

https://www.allmusic.com/album/rele...anniversary-super-deluxe-edition-mr0004944638

Title aside, what the Cranberries were doing wasn't that common at the time, at least in mainstream pop terms; grunge and G-funk had done their respective big splashes via Nirvana and Dr. Dre when Everybody came out first in the U.K. and then in America some months later. Lead guitarist Noel Hoganis in many ways the true center of the band at this point, co-writing all but three songs with O'Riordanand showing an amazing economy in his playing, and having longtime Smiths/Morrissey producer Stephen Street behind the boards meant that the right blend of projection and delicacy still held sway. One can tell he likes Johnny Marr and his ability to do the job just right: check out the quick strums and blasts on "Pretty" or the concluding part of the lovely "Waltzing Back." O'Riordan herself offers up a number of romantic ponderings and considerations lyrically (as well as playing perfectly fine acoustic guitar), and her undisputed vocal ability suits the material perfectly. The two best cuts were the deserved smashes: "Dreams," a brisk, charging number combining low-key tension and full-on rock, and the melancholic, string-swept break-up song "Linger." If Everybody is in the end a derivative pleasure -- and O'Riordan's vocal acrobatics would never again be so relatively calm in comparison -- a pleasure it remains nonetheless, the work of a young band creating a fine little synthesis.

As above via KROQ on the 26th:

Regards,
FWD.

A few years old so maybe it’s already been mentioned.....Sing Me to Sleep, a collection of covers turned into Indie Lullabies. First one is Asleep. It’s not a bad mix of mellow music. Imagine the dreams they could induce in little ones, though.

In the last paragraph. Submitted by a confused fan who enjoys both Moz and Five Star, haha...

A visual artist's contribution to today's 'Morrissey Day'.

Regards,
FWD.

John writes:

Morrissey sighting in NYC

Morrissey graffiti in lower Manhattan, near the financial district

I call this one "Go Morrissey" or maybe "Supreme Morrissey"

44916_2018-11-07-DSCF0686.jpg

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom