Strange/unexpected Moz references?

In an interview with the Imam Ibrahim Noonan of Galway, he mentions working as a bodyguard for Morrissey -

Amid his passion for his faith, Ibrahim can also claim a proximity to rock glamour. I lob the name of Morrissey in his direction; “That opens a box of memories!” he laughs. “When I was a student I needed money so I worked as a bouncer at a nightclub. I then got work doing ‘minding’/bodyguard gigs. I was with an agency for minders. I did the full training for it and everything. I had the opportunity to look after Morrissey for a few days. Morrissey was really nice, very down to earth. I met him around 1991 when I was already a convert to Islam, he was doing a big gig and I was asked to come in on the day and look after him. I also looked after Barry Manilow, Westlife, a few players from Arsenal."

In an interview with the Imam Ibrahim Noonan of Galway, he mentions working as a bodyguard for Morrissey -

Amid his passion for his faith, Ibrahim can also claim a proximity to rock glamour. I lob the name of Morrissey in his direction; “That opens a box of memories!” he laughs. “When I was a student I needed money so I worked as a bouncer at a nightclub. I then got work doing ‘minding’/bodyguard gigs. I was with an agency for minders. I did the full training for it and everything. I had the opportunity to look after Morrissey for a few days. Morrissey was really nice, very down to earth. I met him around 1991 when I was already a convert to Islam, he was doing a big gig and I was asked to come in on the day and look after him. I also looked after Barry Manilow, Westlife, a few players from Arsenal."

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/art...ly-spiritual-city-so-i-decided-to-remain-here

My wife and mother-in-law have just been to a Bronte event where Simon Armitage was talking about Branwell Bronte. In it, he recited his poem about the time Branwell wrote to William Wordsworth, and was turned away due to his filth, so to speak. The poem was called "William It Was Really Nothing", and is also referenced here...

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/books/the-lost-boy-1-8400921

That is a great one skinny! :thumb:
Can't believe Moz didn't know about that one.
He must have read it and used it.
I like it he uses those literary references for his lyrics.

From Greg:

I've just been to a rehearsal for the Mary O'Malley play 'Once a Catholic' and in it a priest says to his class of teenage girls, 'You're all big girls now. Some of you are bigger than others...'

It was written in 1977 and revived several times, including in the very early 80s, and there's every possibility Morrissey either saw it or read it. I haven't been able to find anything connecting the two, have you come across it before? It's set in an Irish catholic high school so it's definitely his territory!

There is another line about getting your soul dry cleaned.

Don't know if this has been posted before
http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content/articles/2006/01/26/260106_manchester_passion_feature.shtml

Manchester Passion will be a contemporary retelling of the last days of Jesus' life using popular music from the cream of Manchester bands, including Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, Oasis and M People.

Tim Booth from James singing Heaven Knows I'm Miserable now (2.14mins in)

I must have been away at the time as i never heard anything about this event back in 2006

Last edited:
Don't know if this has been posted before
http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content/articles/2006/01/26/260106_manchester_passion_feature.shtml

Manchester Passion will be a contemporary retelling of the last days of Jesus' life using popular music from the cream of Manchester bands, including Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, Oasis and M People.

Tim Booth from James singing Heaven Knows I'm Miserable now (2.14mins in)

I must have been away at the time as i never heard anything about this event back in 2006

Tim Booth walked past me before the 1992 James gig in a small Stockholm park on a small island smiling at me cause I wore a shirt which had Moz's giant face all over it.

I got a parking ticket for parking on the lawn on that small silly island but it was so worth it.

The first show on U2's US 2017 Joshua Tree tour was last night in Seattle. Second to last intro music song was How Soon is Now?

I'm wondering what the largest live audience of The Smiths' version of 'How Soon is Now?' has ever been been? (Some England festival I'm guessing?) 50,000 plus was on hand last night. Huge roar from the crowd when it started....

The first show on U2's US 2017 Joshua Tree tour was last night in Seattle. Second to last intro music song was How Soon is Now?

I'm wondering what the largest live audience of The Smiths' version of 'How Soon is Now?' has ever been been? (Some England festival I'm guessing?) 50,000 plus was on hand last night. Huge roar from the crowd when it started....
OMFG

Are they still touring?

Yawn

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?ca...pp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sales-manual

DAJx9XNWsAAVCen.jpg:small

Ricky Gervais on the Jim Norton & Sam Roberts radio show (captured on video). Go to 40:30 and wait for around 40:50 for a good Moz-related chuckle:

Last edited:
Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom