Strange Hand In Glove Test Pressing?

The stamped matrix RT131 A-2U-1-1-(is that a 3 or 5?) indicates that it is a later pressing....

Now, I thought that test pressings were generally always taken as an initial batch, so that 3 or 5 is puzzling.
I've also never seen that thick black ring around the centre hole on one side of the record. Is that a feint ring of blue on the label on the same side?

Would somebody really go to the lengths of trying to create their own white label test pressing from a regular pressing?

Yes, I should probably have used an emoticon there, shouldn't I?
Of course, someone WOULD go to the trouble of "creating" a rare item. Just like they did with the 'Reel Around The Fountain' test pressing and the negative 'Hand In Glove' sleeve.

Honestly, I have never seen a counterfeit Hand In Glove negative sleeve. I have asked people on here and as far as I know, they haven't either. Have you?

I have only seen photographs of the genuine article! I did read that there were counterfeits, however.
Supposedly distinguishable by being made of thinner, poorer quality card I seem to remember.....

I bought the single being discussed, and received it this morning.

It certainly is a strange one.

I bought it on the basis that if I wasn't 100% satisfied I paid through Paypal with a Credit Card, so was safe.

Although I'm not totally convinced of it's legitimacy I am keeping it on the basis that (1) It was relatively inexpensive - compared to some things I have bought, and (2) The person who sold it has good provenance in the USA Record Industry.

If anyone does have any questions then just post them - and I will do my best to answer.

Regards

Anonymous,

I would be interested in seeing additional photos, of better quality, of both A and B side matrix run offs, as well as any etchings, be they the traditional messages inscribed, engineer/mastering studio's signature, etc. It's always nice to have thorough information to catalog if someone has unearthed something new.

Honestly, I have never seen a counterfeit Hand In Glove negative sleeve. I have asked people on here and as far as I know, they haven't either. Have you?

I have come across a fake negative sleeve, I did a deal to buy one but when the scans came over to me I just had to laugh, it had lots of white dots mixed in with the negative effect blue- clearly a botched effort at forgery. The guy went silent after my message and it hasn't popped up anywhere else for public sale...but at £2000+ people will give it a go I suppose. As for that so called test pressing-I didn't like the look of it to be honest, very very odd.

Back
Top Bottom