Strange copy of Meat is Murder

Mommawamma

Hi guys,
Wondering if you can help me out. I have a copy of Meat is Murder (without HSIN) and it is on clear vinyl. The labels are grey and white but they are over stickers of the actual label which is for The Queen is Dead. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have two copies of these now. :)

If anyone knows or has any additional information on this that would be great.

Cheers,
Mommawamma

It says it is Rough81 and at the bottom it says Rough Trade c 1985 Warner Bros Music Ltd. Strange that it has no other markings but when I peel away the grey and white label you can see the track listing for the Queen is Dead....which is really strange since that came out a year later...lol Cheers...was thinking it is a bootleg myself...but a convincing one at that...

Not sure about that...bought it in a local record store in the city. It was second hand...so maybe...but the quality is amazing of the album too...usually the counterfeit ones are bad quality

Odd that you would all say that without seeing a picture of it....it was manufactured by Tonpress and the Tonpress label is pink...same one for the queen is dead. Seems like someone then stuck a sticker over it because the album actually is meat is murder. Quality is just as good as my original Meat is Murder album...I'm thinking it is a re-release though...

Discogs show Tonpress (Poland) releasing under licence from Rough trade copies of QID in green, and The Smiths, both under licence from Rough Trade, but also state unofficial release. No mention is made of Meat is Murder from Tonpress doesn't mean they never printed one, just that no one has listed details yet. Those Eastern block countries are hard to pin down for genuine/we'll just knock one up pressings. Is it under licence? is it unofficial? I doubt anyone could tell you.

Discogs show Tonpress (Poland) releasing under licence from Rough trade copies of QID in green, and The Smiths, both under licence from Rough Trade, but also state unofficial release. No mention is made of Meat is Murder from Tonpress doesn't mean they never printed one, just that no one has listed details yet. Those Eastern block countries are hard to pin down for genuine/we'll just knock one up pressings. Is it under licence? is it unofficial? I doubt anyone could tell you.
Yeah....it is a very weird thing. I have two of them that I bought from the same shop. I agree with you...I have looked everywhere....just thought by chance someone on here could possibly have an idea about it....no harm in checking...thanks billybu69

The picture disc and all coloured, multi-coloured, and clear vinyl editions of this LP are reproductions made in the last 10 years or so.
These are in fact bootlegs, not official releases or re-releases.
The only 2 Smiths LPs originally released by Tonpress in Poland were the debut album and The Queen is Dead.

The picture disc and all coloured, multi-coloured, and clear vinyl editions of this LP are reproductions made in the last 10 years or so.
These are in fact bootlegs, not official releases or re-releases.
The only 2 Smiths LPs originally released by Tonpress in Poland were the debut album and The Queen is Dead.

Thanks. I knew that too. The album has a tonpress label on it for TQID but the album when played is MIM. The label has a sticker over it for MIM. This to me is very bizarre. I'm pretty sure it is a recent album as well but doesn't the mispressing make it rare?

No, it's not rare, it's just a cheap bootleg, I am sorry.
The bootleggers attached the Tonpress labels they have been using for the bootleg TQID they also produce, and after realising their error, attached MIM labels over them to rectify the problem.

I believe the only authentic color lp's are the German multi color s/t and the German green QID and the German gray Strangways.

Back
Top Bottom