Stop giving out about the band murdering This Charming Man

cossy

irish blood dublin heart
Press and fans alike hear Moz and he lads performing This Charming Man since the Years of Refusal and Swords Tour and it now has made it back on to the current setlist

Crazy as this sounds this is not Morrissey and the band covering The Smiths. Be it for fear that they couldnt do the song justice or for whatever reason the version the band do is quite clearly a cover of Death Cab for Cuties This Charming Man. Dont believe me (even though Moz has said this) listen to this if you must

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRiwZtfB5c

Sound familiar? Now please lets move on about the band doing a crappy version of The Smiths

Cossy

Press and fans alike hear Moz and he lads performing This Charming Man since the Years of Refusal and Swords Tour and it now has made it back on to the current setlist

Crazy as this sounds this is not Morrissey and the band covering The Smiths. Be it for fear that they couldnt do the song justice or for whatever reason the version the band do is quite clearly a cover of Death Cab for Cuties This Charming Man. Dont believe me (even though Moz has said this) listen to this if you must

Sound familiar? Now please lets move on about the band doing a crappy version of The Smiths

Cossy

Interesting point; I thought the same thing upon first hearing Cutie's version.

Well said, Cossy, and...it's nice to meet you.

Interesting point; I thought the same thing upon first hearing Cutie's version.

Well said, Cossy, and...it's nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you too. I am an old cronie around these parts especially in the early days before the place went a bit mad But I thought I would make my 1700th post worthwhile :)

Cossy

It'll be easier to move on when he stops destroying a classic song.

Just because somebody else did it first doesn't make it right :mad:

I like it. I like the original too.

I'm trying to explain to myself I can have both.

I was dubious about the recent renditions of This Charming Man - then I saw it performed live last night and stop worrying.
During This Charming Man the atmosphere was great, Morrissey's voice was great and there were many a barrier-jumper. One girl, tiny and feisty, battled with three security folk to try and reach the stage, and another carried away from the stage was screaming and stamping excitedly - clearly she'd gotten the handshake she'd been reaching for.
As much as I adore the hallowed riff of Marr, I don't feel inclined to hate the new version, especially having heard it 'in the flesh' now.

I was dubious about the recent renditions of This Charming Man - then I saw it performed live last night and stop worrying.
During This Charming Man the atmosphere was great, Morrissey's voice was great and there were many a barrier-jumper. One girl, tiny and feisty, battled with three security folk to try and reach the stage, and another carried away from the stage was screaming and stamping excitedly - clearly she'd gotten the handshake she'd been reaching for.
As much as I adore the hallowed riff of Marr, I don't feel inclined to hate the new version, especially having heard it 'in the flesh' now.

Well written.

It'll be easier to move on when he stops destroying a classic song.

Just because somebody else did it first doesn't make it right :mad:

You have your explanation. You have your opinion Just putting a little eh....Meat on the bones" Have a great Sunday

I mostly like Ben gibbard. He did some great stuff in deathcab and the postal service.

But what is this?????

and the lyrics are off as well...

Re: This Charming Man – I prefer the current version

Moz opened with This Charming Man quite a bit in 2009 ... and I thought the way they played it then (as now), more energetic and attacking, was the perfect way to announce that they had arrived on stage. It was a great statement of 'Here I am' intent.
So for Moz in 2011, I'll go as far as saying that I prefer him performing it in this way!

It's quite amusing when anonymous posters on the main board claim Jesse uses power chords in the song simply because he can't play Marr's riff.

They seemingly forget that the band plays it exactly how Morrissey wants it to be played. It's really no surprise that a rocking version of This Charming Man has sufficed, given that we're currently in the "Refusal" era -- an era with loud guitars and distorted bass as the band's signature sound. If Morrissey wanted it played exactly like the original, Boz and company would do it. Any doubters should hear the live rendition of Still Ill a few years back.

I beg to differ. It's been turned from a shimmering masterpiece into something piss poor.

soz - my comment (it's not right but it's ok) was a flippant reference to the song by Houston.
you're right - the original TCM was something of a shimmering masterpiece, and it still could be (yes, even by the current band). it's just that a decision was made to re-arrange it.
oh well...

I have a feeling in five years time there'll be people here defending Morrissey's decision to appoint Status Quo as his backing band. Because that's where he's heading.

Morrissey hasn't just rested on his artistic laurels -- no, he's collapsed headfirst through them into a sea of dirgey, pub-rock shit.

I think the band is fantastic ... great musicians ... people who Moz knows he can rely on (and that is important here) and good to watch.

Well, what's wrong with putting a different spin on a great song anyway? I don't think it's supposed to surpass the original. I really don't see what the problem is. If you don't like it, then don't listen to it.

Back
Top Bottom