Stone Roses reform

Ben Chill

Major announcement next week regarding... The Stone Roses.
Very strong rumours in Manchester that the original band members have decided to tour again.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Stone Roses reform...

"Murray used to work at Parlophone and plugged Moz."
...ooh missus! I thought that was just a rumour that Julie Burchill put about! ;)

The latest statement from Murray Chalmers PR is "We have never said which artist is having the press conference nor what will be discussed there." Maybe it's all a bluff to disguise...a Morrissey~Marr re-union :squiffy:

the rumour refuses to die!
I was never a huge Stone Roses fan but that first album was pretty phenomenal, musically at least.
and I'd pay £40 just to hear them play Sally Cinnamon.
I really hope it's true. it'd be fascinating to see what size tour they could pull off (arenas?), and it would be great to see Ian and John sharing a stage again. plus the prospect of a new song or two would be intriguing. expect they'd be keen to do this so it wasn't purely an exercise in nostalgia.
assuming it's true, it's interesting that the death of one of the band's parents may have been the catalyst. a similar thing happened with P Weller and one of the others from the Jam last year (who played on P Weller's last album and did a couple of live shows).

Rumour is certainly gathering momentum. Personally I hope they don't do it.

I saw the Roses twice, sadly not in their prime. Once at Newport Centre where Ian Brown put on a Cardiff City top (cue riots) http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/history/pages/stone-roses-newport.shtml
Yes another Manchester band had an incident at Newport too....

and at Reading 96... wehre I went to see Underworld instead. I can't see how things will be any better unless Ian Brown has been receiving singing lessons from Bryn Terfel?

The spirit of 1989 will never be recaptured, just put on Live from Blackpool Empire

Some things are best left in the past. That first album will always have a special place in my heart.

It's on. All four original members I'm told.
They've been rehearsing for gigs and a new album.

It's on. All four original members I'm told.
They've been rehearsing for gigs and a new album.

A new album? Cripes. Wasn't expecting that.

Rumour is certainly gathering momentum. Personally I hope they don't do it.
I saw the Roses twice, sadly not in their prime. Once at Newport Centre where Ian Brown put on a Cardiff City top (cue riots) http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/history/pages/stone-roses-newport.shtml
Yes another Manchester band had an incident at Newport too....
and at Reading 96... wehre I went to see Underworld instead. I can't see how things will be any better unless Ian Brown has been receiving singing lessons from Bryn Terfel?
The spirit of 1989 will never be recaptured, just put on Live from Blackpool Empire
Some things are best left in the past. That first album will always have a special place in my heart.

Ah yes, Reading 96 - I was there too. Truly awful! Scantily clad dancing-ladies, some gormless twat of a drummer telling the audience he wanted to 'see those hands'!
But there wasn't much of the Stone Roses left at that point - just Brown and Mounfield I think.
Part of the reason I'm keen to see them reform is probably that I was never really that precious about them the first time round. Loved the songs but wasn't bothered about all the other stuff. Never bought a t-shirt or poster. I do think Brown is a very interesting pop person though - he gives great interview. And Squire has an incredible way with a melody. Even the Seahorses album had some cracking songs if you can overlook the wretched lyrics (Mad Lizzie Crumb's blind cobblers' thumbs?).

good ole squire is returning to music afterall?

Announcement at 3pm today, amazing what money can do in the space of 2 and a half years....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7954447.stm
The Stone Roses were one of the most revered bands of the late 1980s and '90s, with their debut album still regarded as one of the landmark releases of British guitar music.

But Squire has not spoken to singer Ian Brown since he left the group in 1996, he told Newsnight.

Asked whether never really meant never, he replied: "Yeah, I'd rather live my life than attempt to rehash it.

"It would be pointless. I find art far more challenging and rewarding

I've read that they all met up for the first time in years at Mani's mum's funeral earlier this year - and the animosity wasn't there anymore. Divorces for Squire and Brown may also add to the pressure to reform.

Dave

I'm at my desk at work with a few tears streaming out of my eyes..a happy days for roses fans everywhere

photo.jpg

Its not where you're from etc etc

29th and 30th June, Heaton Park

If Ian and John can get it on, then...maybe...?

Any thoughts on how to guarantee getting tickets for Heaton Park? Where to go for advanced / priority tickets?

Dave

another hugging pic:
129540904getty181011.jpg

did they actually like it each other back in the days? i dont know that much about them to be honest
but a lot of bands arent friends, more colleagues to each other or starting to dislike each other as time progresses...

Any thoughts on how to guarantee getting tickets for Heaton Park? Where to go for advanced / priority tickets?

Dave

Short of replacing Cressa or reforming Northside for the support bill...

Short of replacing Cressa or reforming Northside for the support bill...

Where's JukeBoxJury (RIP) when you need a thread about Northside?

Dave

Dave

You'll be fine, Dave. The Stone Roses were huge in the indie world but never really made it big in the real world - just ask a taxi driver (or any non-music fan) to name one of their songs.
There's 150,000 tickets for Heaton Park. They'll probably manage to shift between 50,000 and 100,000 easily enough but I think they'll struggle to sell many more. If they do sell out, thousands will have gone to greedy touts who will end up having to sell at less than face value.

Well...Well

If The Stone Roses can form....Morrissey better get on the phone to f***ing Marr now!!!!!

I really wish they could have reformed more discretly though...they should have all just reformed and played at some small venue under a different name....or they should have randomly all turned up at a Ian Brown gig and just done a complete Stone Roses set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom