Steyn vs. Morrissey case minutes - "Plaintiff reported that matter has settled"

Just downloaded this document posted Jan. 5, 2015 on the Orange County Superior Court site. I believe this means the case has settled.

MINUTES FINALIZED FOR CASE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE 01/05/2015 08:45:00 AM. 01/05/2015 (1 page PDF)

CASE NO: 30-2014-00736735-CU-CO-CJC CASE INIT.DATE: 07/29/2014
CASE TITLE: Steyn vs. Morrissey
CASE CATEGORY: Civil - Unlimited CASE TYPE: Contract - Other

EVENT ID/DOCUMENT ID: 72053676
EVENT TYPE: Case Management Conference
MOVING PARTY: Bradley Steyn
CAUSAL DOCUMENT/DATE FILED: Complaint, 07/29/2014

APPEARANCES
Counsel for Plaintiff: Keith Davidson via courtcall
Counsel for Defendant: Bruce Isaacs via courtcall

Stipulation for Temporary Judge signed and filed.

Plaintiff reported that matter has settled.

The Order to Show Cause re: Dismissal on Settled Case is scheduled for 03/11/2015 at 08:45 AM in
Department C06.

No appearances required if Request for Dismissal is on file.

Parties waive notice.

UPDATE Jan. 7:

Link posted by Eurydice:

Morrissey - Bodyguard Moves To End Morrissey Lawsuit - WENN / Contactmusic.com

Related item:

Last edited:
still seems to ambiguous use of language saying the matter has settled and not that they came to a settlement and the suit has been dropped.

moz paid him so he wouldnt have to attend the deposition. a pity.

Re: Steyn vs. Morrissey case minutes - "Plaintiff reported that matter has settled"

Plaintiff reported that matter has settled.

The Order to Show Cause re: Dismissal on Settled Case is scheduled for 03/11/2015 at 08:45 AM in
Department C06.

Here's what's happening:

Because the parties have settled, the court has scheduled a deadline (March 11, 2015) in which plaintiff must do one of two things: 1) file a document that dismisses the action; or 2) show cause as to why the matter should not be dismissed.

Setting that deadline is entirely perfunctory on the court's part, done for the purposes of moving the case along; set a deadline so that this matter doesn't languish. Long before the deadline, I expect plaintiff to file for dismissal at which point the court will then terminate the case. This is mundane stuff. Sorry, no lurid details will be revealed.

As for the terms of settlement, I expect that the parties will agree to a confidentiality clause. I anticipate that this matter will disappear into the ether like the proverbial fart in the wind.

I think 'settled out of court' could mean anything and does not always mean that a payment was made. If the 'evidence' proved to be completely unreliable he may have been advised by counsel to drop it, and they could have reached an agreement whereby he dropped it for a nominal sum (e.g. 1 dollar). These are all 'could of' and 'would have' and 'might have'. Maybe Moz paid him a fortune, but I doubt it.

Most agreeable.

Re: Steyn vs. Morrissey case minutes - "Plaintiff reported that matter has settled"

Here's what's happening:

Because the parties have settled, the court has scheduled a deadline (March 11, 2015) in which plaintiff must do one of two things: 1) file a document that dismisses the action; or 2) show cause as to why the matter should not be dismissed.

Setting that deadline is entirely perfunctory on the court's part, done for the purposes of moving the case along; set a deadline so that this matter doesn't languish. Long before the deadline, I expect plaintiff to file for dismissal at which point the court will then terminate the case. This is mundane stuff. Sorry, no lurid details will be revealed.

As for the terms of settlement, I expect that the parties will agree to a confidentiality clause. I anticipate that this matter will disappear into the ether like the proverbial fart in the wind.

Most agreeable.

thanks for the insight

Here's what's happening:

Most agreeable.

But that's no fun for the BB, BTB,RB, JB, US crowd. I'm sure they were hoping for more juice than that :(

But that's no fun for the BB, BTB,RB, JB, US crowd. I'm sure they were hoping for more juice than that :(

Steyn made a very serious allegation. Morrissey's settled rather than go to court. Why if Steyn was lying? Steyn's allegations had more than a grain of veracity on first hearing. This confirms he was telling the truth.

You don't settle such a serious allegation. You fight it. Unless it is true.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what's happening:

Most agreeable.

Michael Jackson used to do much the same.

Steyn made a very serious allegation. Morrissey's settled rather than go to court. Why if Steyn was lying? Steyn's allegations had more than a grain of veracity on first hearing. This confirms he was telling the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Not even taking Morrissey's specific case into consideration you are a fairly smart person and you know that those statements you've just made are absolute bullshit. Sometimes regardless of guilt or innocence it is simply a better business and PR move to make a case like this go away. Famous and wealthy people get shaken down all the time, I'm not even talking Morrissey now, but it happens. Taking your case to court you are subjecting yourself to a notoriously unreliable outcome, in truth it's a lottery. Why subject yourself to that if you can control the outcome?

Back to Morrissey's case, I would guess that Steyn has settled for less than he was asking for in his lawsuit. If HE is so sure of his truth shouldn't he stick to his guns and go for the lot? Your argument goes both ways. Neither party wanted to go to court when BOTH parties could walk away with an acceptable outcome, doing this says absolutely NOTHING to me about who was telling the truth and who was telling porkies. My own personal guess is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Did Morrissey make some quip about wanting David hurt? It wouldn't surprise me. But did he pull a bodyguard aside just before playing a concert to have a quick discussion about taking on a possible hit job? Yeah well I think I just saw a pig flying past my window.

Not even taking Morrissey's specific case into consideration you are a fairly smart person and you know that those statements you've just made are absolute bullshit. Sometimes regardless of guilt or innocence it is simply a better business and PR move to make a case like this go away. Famous and wealthy people get shaken down all the time, I'm not even talking Morrissey now, but it happens. Taking your case to court you are subjecting yourself to a notoriously unreliable outcome, in truth it's a lottery. Why subject yourself to that if you can control the outcome?

Back to Morrissey's case, I would guess that Steyn has settled for less than he was asking for in his lawsuit. If HE is so sure of his truth shouldn't he stick to his guns and go for the lot? Your argument goes both ways. Neither party wanted to go to court when BOTH parties could walk away with an acceptable outcome, doing this says absolutely NOTHING to me about who was telling the truth and who was telling porkies. My own personal guess is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Did Morrissey make some quip about wanting David hurt? It wouldn't surprise me. But did he pull a bodyguard aside just before playing a concert to have a quick discussion about taking on a possible hit job? Yeah well I think I just saw a pig flying past my window.

You're wasting your breath hops.

Ah, it was a quip now. That's perfectly OK, then. He was joshing. Steyn was there and saw it, but was wrong, you weren't there and didn't, but you are right. Got it. It was all a light hearted jape. Like the implied threats when he puts up the house lights and makes veiled threats to men in red sweaters, and, as reported here by an attendee, sends security into the audience to track him down. It's all a joke.

Steyn didn't have to settle, it's true, but we don't know the monetary offer that was made, do we? It might have been a very substantial sum. The point I'm making is that for a man with an apparently highly developed sense of morality, truth and justice, Morrissey seems often to shrink from it.

That's not to say I don't have some sympathy for the gilded cage Morrissey has constructed for himself. A glance at the infamous Twitter account would show the number of utter lunatics who expect ridiculous things of him. It must be difficult. If he can cut a cheque and run off that's fine. I'd have taken it to court to prove the accuser wrong, but that's just me.

A gated community really isn't his style.

it isn't a comminity, it's just a way to keep off stalkers and unwanted guests/people
but I beg to differ that it's all bogus, where Morrissey went after Sweetzer, looking at
the Importance of Morrissey, He sure was kinda tired of living in LA so a resort around LA or the villages around seemed unlikely

'and they say he's mentall'...je suis Theodoor...I'm sure He still has a private part in Altrickham's house where His mum settled after
the 'racist' allegations, at that time He lived at Primrose Hill, London untill end 1990's [after recording Maladjusted]

Ah, it was a quip now. That's perfectly OK, then. He was joshing. Steyn was there and saw it, but was wrong, you weren't there and didn't, but you are right. Got it. It was all a light hearted jape. Like the implied threats when he puts up the house lights and makes veiled threats to men in red sweaters, and, as reported here by an attendee, sends security into the audience to track him down. It's all a joke.

Steyn didn't have to settle, it's true, but we don't know the monetary offer that was made, do we? It might have been a very substantial sum. The point I'm making is that for a man with an apparently highly developed sense of morality, truth and justice, Morrissey seems often to shrink from it.

That's not to say I don't have some sympathy for the gilded cage Morrissey has constructed for himself. A glance at the infamous Twitter account would show the number of utter lunatics who expect ridiculous things of him. It must be difficult. If he can cut a cheque and run off that's fine. I'd have taken it to court to prove the accuser wrong, but that's just me.

Yep a quip. Let's face it we're all guessing here, but I would suspect he probably let his potty mouth (and again I do suspect Moz can lay down profanity with the best of them) get the better of him and let himself go with a Neal Cassidy style regga rap over the lack of merit he sees in David T and this site. And yeah it wouldn't surprise me if he dropped a few F bomb styled 'I'd like to see that f***er break his legs' type proclamations. Shoot I've said similar things in the heat of the moment about co-workers, shithead drivers on the road and family members. we all vent from time to time. Well at least I should say many of us do.

Do I think he attempted to cook up David's assassination 5 minutes before gliding on stage with a bodyguard he uses from time to time? No. That's stretching it IMHO.

The rest of your post I think we have a certain amount of common ground on.

We don't know what morrissey has planned for this year. He may be touring this spring or summer and a trial wouldn't allow that.

He did the right thing.

Re-read the thread and you'll see that I wasn't 'hoping' for anything. You are probably the most stupid person on this forum. There's a lot of competition but you're edging ahead.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

No, it doesn't. It only shows that the case will not proceed. It doesn't give a firm indication for the reasons why.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

You're wasting your breath hops.

Yes, if only everyone's comments were as reasoned and well-informed as yours. Just shut up.

best
BB

How about you read the information available before mouthing off? It says that the details behind the closure of the case will be made available in March. I guess it was just too much trouble for you to read it.

Why is your default setting always negative, insulting, and belligerent? Nothing I or Marred said indicates that we didn't read the full article.

'Why do you come here when you know it makes things hard for us? You had to sneak into the site just to read our posts, it was just to see just to see.....all the things I hadn't written about you, oh so many blank pages.' - Lyrics kindly taken from the song 'Shithead', dedicated to Bummie Boy.

This discussion between you and bhops is just the thing that many people here write doesn't exist. A well reasoned, civil discussion between yourself and someone who disagrees to some extent with your take on a given matter. After reading all of the posts under this thread, I am 100% certain that I have no idea what the "truth" really is and I doubt we will ever know given the almost certain confidentiality clause in the agreement between the two.

I find it admirable that you would fight to prove the accuser wrong, but in this specific case, like you mentioned with Michael Jackson, there are so many other tidbits of a star's personality and past actions that could be revealed (that have nothing to do with this particular claim) that could make his life even more difficult should they be revealed. The difference between Michael and Morrissey is that there was a pattern to Michael's activities that led to a number of cases being filed against him, whereas, at least for the moment this seems to be a one-off accusation. My mind goes to the Bill Cosby fiasco where not just one or two but over fifteen women recount similar events that happened to each of them. Not that it should take more than one, but it makes it increasingly more difficult to argue his innocence. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but I would be squirming a bit if I was in old Bill's shoes.

Last edited:
Why is your default setting always negative, insulting, and belligerent? Nothing I or Marred said indicates that we didn't read the full article.

'Why do you come here when you know it makes things hard for us? You had to sneak into the site just to read our posts, it was just to see just to see.....all the things I hadn't written about you, oh so many blank pages.' - Lyrics kindly taken from the song 'Shithead', dedicated to Bummie Boy.

You may as well have shot yourself in the head. Thank you for proving the very point I was making. You are another idiot. It's neck and neck between you and 'Marred' as to who's the most idiotic poster on this site. As I say, lots of competition but protesting that someone is 'negative' by hurling abuse at them is hilarious. The sad thing is you probably don't even understand why this makes you look painfully silly to anyone reading your nonsense.

best
BB

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom