Steve Lillywhite on Morrissey

Danny_

Forgot my login!
You produced Vauxhall and I, Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted. Tell us a Morrissey story.

He's fantastic, a man of very few words. So when he says something, you really listen. He doesn't like sitting in the studio for a long time, but it's good because when he comes in he has fresh ears on how his music sounds. You know, he's a very mysterious man, and after having lived with him over a total of three albums for about six months, in a big house in the country, I never saw him come downstairs without his hair fully done. And he loves wearing Morrissey T-shirts. He's Morrissey.

Most Morrissey stories end that way.

Well, exactly. I went to see him about three months ago in New York. I must admit, I loved the show. He's got a great band of musicians with him. His singing was fantastic. I mean, he's got his pitch control down really well, and his vibrato is pure. I was very impressed with him.

http://www.errico.com/blog/index.php?blog=5&title=interview_steve_lillywhite&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

the hair fully done thing is quite strange though but i guess that`s a morrissey thing to do hahahahaha,thanks for sharing this interview with us :)

the hair fully done thing is quite strange though but i guess that`s a morrissey thing to do hahahahaha,thanks for sharing this interview with us :)

I don't think it is all that strange. Either that or I'm a bit strange then, too :) In my own vain way in the past I generally wouldn't dare go outside without at least semi-proper attention to "the do"...LOL! If I had to for some reason, it surely wouldn't be done without a cap of some sort. Same if someone came to the door, I used to throw a hat on if I hadn't done me hair proper. I know, I know... pathetic. I have eased up a bit as I've aged so there is potentially hope for me.

You produced Vauxhall and I, Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted. Tell us a Morrissey story.

He's fantastic, a man of very few words. So when he says something, you really listen. He doesn't like sitting in the studio for a long time, but it's good because when he comes in he has fresh ears on how his music sounds. You know, he's a very mysterious man, and after having lived with him over a total of three albums for about six months, in a big house in the country, I never saw him come downstairs without his hair fully done. And he loves wearing Morrissey T-shirts. He's Morrissey.

Most Morrissey stories end that way.

Well, exactly. I went to see him about three months ago in New York. I must admit, I loved the show. He's got a great band of musicians with him. His singing was fantastic. I mean, he's got his pitch control down really well, and his vibrato is pure. I was very impressed with him.

http://www.errico.com/blog/index.php?blog=5&title=interview_steve_lillywhite&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

sounds like he really has respect for him

I don't think it is all that strange. Either that or I'm a bit strange then, too :) In my own vain way in the past I generally wouldn't dare go outside without at least semi-proper attention to "the do"...LOL! If I had to for some reason, it surely wouldn't be done without a cap of some sort. Same if someone came to the door, I used to throw a hat on if I hadn't done me hair proper. I know, I know... pathetic. I have eased up a bit as I've aged so there is potentially hope for me.

I'm strange, too! I never let anybody know how I'd look like without having my hair properly done!

i never leave the house with bad hair ever.
ive only had like 2 bad hair days in the past 8 years.

This has me questioning how long it takes him to get ready of a morning.
I can imagine him being late everywhere and for everything just to fix his barnet and pick an outfit.

I think Steve Lillywhite is very under-estimated.

When you ask fans about their favourite album, they'll mostly say "vauxhall" but when asked about their least favourite producer, they'll say Lillywhite...

There is something wrong, here.

Nice story, thanks for that.
The fact that Lillywhite produced Morrissey's most and least acclaimed albums (Vauxhall, Southpaw and Mala) shows, really, that the producer doesn't have a big influence on the quality of the album.
It's all about the songs, maan!

I almost forgot a quiff is called a barnet. Can Morrissey's story get anymore cool?

I think Steve Lillywhite is very under-estimated.

I agree - not only for his brilliant work with Moz, but three-in-a-row classic albums by U2, Marshall Crenshaw, Kirsty MacColl, The Pogues, many others.

Last edited:
This has me questioning how long it takes him to get ready of a morning.
I can imagine him being late everywhere and for everything just to fix his barnet and pick an outfit.

I don't think he'd be the kind to be late though. It seems like a nonpunctual person would bother him, at least slightly. Though 'slightly' is no doubt an under exaggeration. :p

I almost forgot a quiff is called a barnet. Can Morrissey's story get anymore cool?

Only for you girl, only for you. ;)

You know, he's a very mysterious man, and after having lived with him over a total of three albums for about six months, in a big house in the country, I never saw him come downstairs without his hair fully done. And he loves wearing Morrissey T-shirts. He's Morrissey.
Thanks, this is cute and made me smile. :)
*runs off to make Morrissey some Morrissey t-shirts*

The non-Lillywhite versions on the U.K. Remix EP were better than the album versions. :o

I know that many people criticised Lillywhite's production on the Crenshaw record for making the drums too loud/prominent, but I was not one of them. :guitar:

What's that in your avatar photo, Stonehenge? (or Stone'enge, if you're Nigel Tufnel)

I know that many people criticised Lillywhite's production on the Crenshaw record for making the drums too loud/prominent, but I was not one of them. :guitar:

I love that album, but it took me several listens to get to that point, and I think that the production had a lot to do with that. Same for several of Crenshaw's middle-period albums, all of which had crappy production (by Don Dixon, etc.).

What's that in your avatar photo, Stonehenge? (or Stone'enge, if you're Nigel Tufnel)

It's something even more mysterious and mystifying than Stonehenge. :D

Back
Top Bottom