Steve Lillywhite interviewed by John Robb: Morrissey "a wonderful gentle person" (August 13, 2022)

"He's the only artist I ever met who wears his own tee shirts !!! ":)

John Robb recently had a chat with producer Steve Lillywhite, and when it comes to Morrissey, Steve Lillywhite has some very interesting anecdotes in store. And he gives a great analysis of the music and the Smiths as well.

From 1h04mins00s in this video

"He's the only artist I ever met who wears his own tee shirts !!! ":)

John Robb recently had a chat with producer Steve Lillywhite, and when it comes to Morrissey, Steve Lillywhite has some very interesting anecdotes in store. And he gives a great analysis of the music and the Smiths as well.

From 1h04mins00s in this video

Nice of Steve lillywhite legs to say something nice about M at a time when some still don't.

That Mr Robb really is obsessed with with M isn't he, I bet he would sell his entire family for a pair of Ms well worm Y fronts

Funny, I was in a pub with a friend of mine
He's 65. He was reading out these lists trying to say it proves Stones Roses and Primal Svream are better than Smiths

Also why Damon Albarn
Liam G, Jarvis Cocker, John lydon and that singer from D Mode we're better more important than M

I mean you can bend almost any list or get another list to support these arguments.

The thing that got me was that anyone over 18 could fall for this "best lp " , "most important pop singer "
Stuff
it's such childish bullshit and means nothing.

it's something mostly boy men simps fall for it.

its made up and fake and mainly a question of fashion and almost purely subjective to a large degree.

the fact there are people out there who think they are "cool" cause they know every song on The Falls demo tape , is hilarious to me

myself I put M number one above Dylan and Lennon and Cohen and Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell and Bowie

To me smiths and M are top of any trees.

I like the Roses, Joy D ,the fall and magazine but none are anywhere near as good as M and smiths

I know others have their own fave's and that is ok

Why are people so pigshit thick they fall for this list stuff ?

Not attacking anyone here. General point
Yep good points all.

Strange conversation about U2 and Echo and the Bunnymen, as if the latter would ever come close, he actually seems to not like U2. I think Martin Hannett had an emotional breakdown after Ian died.

Funny, I was in a pub with a friend of mine
He's 65. He was reading out these lists trying to say it proves Stones Roses and Primal Svream are better than Smiths

Also why Damon Albarn
Liam G, Jarvis Cocker, John lydon and that singer from D Mode we're better more important than M

I mean you can bend almost any list or get another list to support these arguments.

The thing that got me was that anyone over 18 could fall for this "best lp " , "most important pop singer "
Stuff
it's such childish bullshit and means nothing.

it's something mostly boy men simps fall for it.

its made up and fake and mainly a question of fashion and almost purely subjective to a large degree.

the fact there are people out there who think they are "cool" cause they know every song on The Falls demo tape , is hilarious to me

myself I put M number one above Dylan and Lennon and Cohen and Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell and Bowie

To me smiths and M are top of any trees.

I like the Roses, Joy D ,the fall and magazine but none are anywhere near as good as M and smiths

I know others have their own fave's and that is ok

Why are people so pigshit thick they fall for this list stuff ?

Not attacking anyone here. General point
Undoubtedly lists says much more about the people making the lists, and the times they currently live in. Which is why this particular list seems replete with non-entities.

Strange conversation about U2 and Echo and the Bunnymen, as if the latter would ever come close, he actually seems to not like U2. I think Martin Hannett had an emotional breakdown after Ian died.
Didn’t get that one entirely, but he seemed to suggest that the Bunnymen could come up with great songs more easily than U2.
I was happy to hear him praise Shane MacGowan as an outstanding talent.

"woke" 🙄 It's the usual - people who network a lot, people involved in big projects, people who have some current buzz.
There are clearly more than a few on this list simply because they are 'BAME'. That is obvious.
If Morrissey were to say that - you would be on here performing intellectual somersaults and backflips trying to defend him. Anyone else says it - they are Adolf Hitler's love child.

There are clearly more than a few on this list simply because they are 'BAME'. That is obvious.
If Morrissey were to say that - you would be on here performing intellectual somersaults and backflips trying to defend him. Anyone else says it - they are Adolf Hitler's love child.

Morrissey moans about everything - he's also always been honest about his professional jealousy.

Why do you care what creatives made the tv list? Were you bumped off it?

Morrissey moans about everything - he's also always been honest about his professional jealousy.

Why do you care what creatives made the tv list? Were you bumped off it?
Because the woke mindset exemplified by this list is indicative of the fact that no record label will touch Morrissey with a barge pole. Despite Mr Lillywhite's more expert assessment of his talent and influence.

Everyone in the industry thinks Morrissey is gay & neurodivergent. He walks off stage if he smells meat. He's the Godfather of Woke.

That's not his problem.
If people in the industry think someone is gay, neurodivergent, and vociferously vegan - they rush to sign you. That's not why they won't touch him with a barge pole. And you know it.

Didn’t get that one entirely, but he seemed to suggest that the Bunnymen could come up with great songs more easily than U2.
I was happy to hear him praise Shane MacGowan as an outstanding talent.
I think it's such an odd claim considering what we have seen from both bands, and the way he was talking about Ian McCullough's lips and made Bono sound ugly :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lillywhite mentions a religious cult (?) that U2 joined early on, does anyone have info on that ?

Shalom Fellowship - an evangelical group.

He's an amazing producer. Good to hear him give The Smiths their due in terms of greatness. Don't know if anyone noticed the recent Sky Arts list of the 50 most influential British artists of the past 50 years, that was published last week. All very woke, although nice to see Ricky Gervais making it in there. No mention of The Smiths or Morrissey, of course. The history of modern culture is being rewritten - and it doesn't include Morrissey.

I am also super pressed about woke stuff. Remain vigilant!

That's my favorite Echo and the Bunnymen song, but I still think U2 is better and Ian McCullough isn't all that
I take the earlier albums of Echo and the Bunnymen over anything U2 has done, but U2 has a more impressive back catalogue of hits.

Brilliant band Gregor, someone filmed their whole set at one of their two nights at The Ritz last December.

That’s great, Surf! Thanks! Looking forward to watching it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom