Steve Coogan on Morrissey / The Smiths

Jukebox Jury

Retired
There is a big feature on Steve Coogan in today's Manchester Evening News celebrating his 20th year in 'show biz'.
Amongst topics touched on is the following:

The interviewer asked Coogan which A list celebs he is in touch with.

''Ironically it was another well known Mancunian who he dined out with during his last visit to La-La Land'' (Los Angeles).
'I had a drink with Morrissey', he says, 'Quite a turn up for the books. The last time I'd met him was when The Smiths played at The Free Trade Hall in 1983.
They only just had their first album out and Sandie Shaw was on stage singing Hand In Glove. I went back stage because I knew the support band (The Red Guitars) who were big at the time.
I was 17 and he was 24 and now I'm 43 and he must be kicking 50.
It was a bit weird, two Mancunians in a bar in LA. We chatted about Tony Wilson and Manchester. Chrissie Hynde was there too', he adds. 'I still get starstruck a bit'.''

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Re: Steeve Coogan on Morrissey / The Smiths

There is a big feature on Steve Coogan in today's Manchester Evening News celebrating his 20th year in 'show biz'.
Amongst topics touched on is the following:

The interviewer asked Coogan which A list celebs he is in touch with.

''Ironically it was another well known Mancunian who he dined out with during his last visit to La-La Land'' (Los Angeles).
'I had a drink with Morrissey', he says, 'Quite a turn up for the books. The last time I'd met him was when The Smiths played at The Free Trade Hall in 1983.
They only just had their first album out and Sandie Shaw was on stage singing Hand In Glove. I went back stage because I knew the support band (The Red Guitars) who were big at the time.
I was 17 and he was 24 and now I'm 43 and he must be kicking 50.
It was a bit weird, two Mancunians in a bar in LA. We chatted about Tony Wilson and Manchester. Chrissie Hynde was there too', he adds. 'I still get starstruck a bit'.''

Jukebox Jury

Coogan is a comic genius...:) Knowing two heroes are drinking together makes one's heart sore, i mean soar...:p

Well done on Eggheads BTW..:)

I would have loved to have been in that room! Partridge and Morrissey. I think a bit of excited wee just came out ;)

I would have loved to have been in that room! Partridge and Morrissey. I think a bit of excited wee just came out ;)

:eek: Oh REALLY!!! Must we be subject to your filth?......:p

went to see coogan the another night in bburn, been a hero of mine for a long time, but i was a little dissapointed at the show, although the partridge bit of the show was ace.... any 1 else been to see him on this tour???

i'm going mid november. the reviews have been dreadful so far, people have apparently been walking out. i hope he's sorted out the problems by then.

:eek: Oh REALLY!!! Must we be subject to your filth?......:p

:D I know, I normally keep things like that in 'off-topic' but it's MOZ AND THE PARTRIDGE!!! :guitar:

What one is that?

Coogan will always have a place in my heart, whether he's good or bad. Why, I even sat through Saxondale and his crazy hair, and still love him.

''Sunshine'' - it started last Tuesday, 9pm BBC1.
Very good, written by Coogan and Craig Cash and his mate who wrote the excellent ''Early Doors''.
Caroline Aherne was briefly in it last night too. 'Yosser Hughes' plays his dad too.:)
He picked up Aherne in a pub and he was pissed, she offered him a lift home.... he asked if he could stop off for a kebab first.
The next scene he is waking up in bed in the morning.... Coogan turns over and says 'How are you Donna'? and then the camera pans out and there is his uneaten donna kebab on the side of the bed:D

Jukebox Jury

Cor, you British are lucky swine: you get to see Coogan's live show *and* his new series. B*st#rds! :) (said affectionately)

Mozsupportsrovers, what about the live show was disappointing? Details, please sir.

Cor, you British are lucky swine: you get to see Coogan's live show *and* his new series. B*st#rds! :) (said affectionately)

Mozsupportsrovers, what about the live show was disappointing? Details, please sir.

Well i expected it to be a 10/10, but more of a 6.5/10. Pauline Calf was good, but didn't really use any of the old "slapper" jokes that we have come t love from her. Saxondale was a little cringe worthy, didn't come across well on stage and maybe should of done Tony Ferrino instead. Duncan Thicket was good but shud of been on longer, a few more "gags" or audience interaction would of been nice, Paul Calf was again good but lacking something, i was on front row with my friend and we thought he might of picked on us for being "students", but again no interaction. Second half was a lot better, Partridge was good with some nice gags on the big screen (will have to see this to understand), then the song about Coogan at the end was good aswell.

other bad points, steve looked under rehearsed and occasionally looked at his hand for prompts and on cards. also the acts in between each sketch were not the best, i mean most people would of been able to write the sketches within 5 mins.

hope this answers your question

Thank you, yes. I still say you're lucky :)

Well i expected it to be a 10/10, but more of a 6.5/10. Pauline Calf was good, but didn't really use any of the old "slapper" jokes that we have come t love from her. Saxondale was a little cringe worthy, didn't come across well on stage and maybe should of done Tony Ferrino instead. Duncan Thicket was good but shud of been on longer, a few more "gags" or audience interaction would of been nice, Paul Calf was again good but lacking something, i was on front row with my friend and we thought he might of picked on us for being "students", but again no interaction. Second half was a lot better, Partridge was good with some nice gags on the big screen (will have to see this to understand), then the song about Coogan at the end was good aswell.

other bad points, steve looked under rehearsed and occasionally looked at his hand for prompts and on cards. also the acts in between each sketch were not the best, i mean most people would of been able to write the sketches within 5 mins.

hope this answers your question

I went to Blackburn on Friday to see him too. I though Pauline was all rehashed from the 'man who thinks he's shit' tour, saxondale was kind of pointless, Paul Calf was good and Alan was really poor. I was really disappointed as I love Alan! I missed Duncan Thicket cus I was dying for a pee and you were not allowed to go back in once Steve came back on stage :mad:

i went on satday nite, a lot of people were complaining about the venue, King georges Hall, which is quite weird cause i've been to loads of gig and comedy shows there and usually its fantastic. i think a lot of people were miffed off about paying over £30 for a ticket. if he' of charged £15-20 then people would of been more happier

Back
Top Bottom