Stereogum critiques various covers of "There Is A Light..."

This was posted on June 1 and seemed to have slipped through the cracks. It is interesting to see how some of the covers work better than others. Of course, covering a great song is sometimes harder to pull off than covering a mediocre one: how do you match the original?

Gotcha Covered: “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” - Stereogum

Last edited:
Would have loved to hear Francis Albert sing a cover of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. The great interpreter meets the great wordsmith.
Arranged by Nelson Riddle of course. No, on second thought, make that arranged by Gordon Jenkins.

Wow, that would be something. Or "Last Night I Dreamt..." done in his melancholy "Wee Small Hours of the Morning" style!

There was once a band called The Ukrainians doing a cover of, I believe it was Bigmouth.
It was on a cd-single and I liked that one. Don't know if they were Ukrainian.
I still must have it somewhere in a box in my storage but haven't found it yet.
And then there were the two lesbian Russian girls who did the Eurovision contest in 2006 or sometime.
When asked about that Moz famously said, Well, aren't we all? It is known of course here.
He seemed to be proud about it but very modest as he felt it an honour anyone covering a song by him, and he never said anything remotely hostile of any cover, even if they were bad.
Better than TATU are the West End Girls who do Pet Shop Boys covers. They are from Sweden.

Better than Roxette.

Tags
covers how soon is now smiths
Back
Top Bottom