Stereogum: "Arcade Fire’s Win Butler accused of sexual misconduct, shares statement" - not another one!

rifke's my name, thwompin' is my game!

An « age-gap » of around 15 years does not strike me as so exceptional. We probably all know (or have knows) people in that situation in our own little world, not to mention the love lives of the rich and famou.
So if that becomes a vulnerability, where the younger partner in the (sexual) relationship is viewed as a victim, what will come next.
I find the argument being put forth completely unconvincing, these women seek these men precisely because of who they are and all that comes with it. Just because they have regret later on does not turn it into some sort of assault or misconduct.
I find it really curious that his side of the story is basically dismissed because people have a need to think women are constantly being victimized.
Camille Paglia has some theories about things like this, she basically says women have distorted everything courtship used to be and also want to be promiscuous but really have an innate need to be courted, it's part of the 'chase' so they have distorted it like this, where the courtship is aggressive and even victimizing- It's crazy. She explains it much better than I do. I think she first floated this theory about campus rapes and the lies around them.

I find the argument being put forth completely unconvincing, these women seek these men precisely because of who they are and all that comes with it. Just because they have regret later on does not turn it into some sort of assault or misconduct.
I find it really curious that his side of the story is basically dismissed because people have a need to think women are constantly being victimized.
Camille Paglia has some theories about things like this, she basically says women have distorted everything courtship used to be and also want to be promiscuous but really have an innate need to be courted, it's part of the 'chase' so they have distorted it like this, where the courtship is aggressive and even victimizing- It's crazy. She explains it much better than I do. I think she first floated this theory about campus rapes and the lies around them.
Yeah; I've listened to quite a few of her interviews and lectures and she's got some pretty interesting takes on the subject. I really like her.

I get them mixed up with Franz Ferdinand. I think they both had a hit about the same time when they started?

I get them mixed up with Franz Ferdinand. I think they both had a hit about the same time when they started?
Yes, both released debut albums in 2004. Both albums were mega-hyped. Both bands were sort of pretentious, but FF were more on the humorous side. AF were dead serious… FF played a big part in the 00’s post punk revival scene, AF just made grandiose and “epic” indie rock.

There were a number of really promising bands in the early/mid 2000s. Arcade Fire was definitely one of them. That first Interpol album was astounding, and The Hold Steady was just starting, and The National was really coming into their own, and The Shins, and for as much as I hate The Killers their debut album was incredible. I really love Arcade Fire's first few albums. For me, that period was the last time there were a healthy spat of new, viable bands that really seemed to have a lot of potential staying power. Most of them kind of blew their load pretty quickly. Oh well. Maybe there are still great new rock bands out there and I just don't know about them. I guess I don't care much anymore. I never did like Franz Ferdinand. Always found them kind of obnoxious.

There were a number of really promising bands in the early/mid 2000s. Arcade Fire was definitely one of them. That first Interpol album was astounding, and The Hold Steady was just starting, and The National was really coming into their own, and The Shins, and for as much as I hate The Killers their debut album was incredible. I really love Arcade Fire's first few albums. For me, that period was the last time there were a healthy spat of new, viable bands that really seemed to have a lot of potential staying power. Most of them kind of blew their load pretty quickly. Oh well. Maybe there are still great new rock bands out there and I just don't know about them. I guess I don't care much anymore. I never did like Franz Ferdinand. Always found them kind of obnoxious.
Turn on the Bright Lights is truly astounding. One of the best albums of the 2000’s.

Back
Top Bottom