Stereogum: "Arcade Fire’s Win Butler accused of sexual misconduct, shares statement" - not another one!

You could make a band name, with your opinions. Rifke’s Sexy Death Gods, and the Philistines.

Solo can be unhealthy. It generally is. There are many jerks that use it, and only a handful of kind, conscientious people. I’m feeling acute, activated addiction to fighting with rifke now. I’m eagerly waiting for her to say something, which is pathetic.

@Skylarker is this you? oh, it says 'skylarker' so i guess it is!!

1661840085367.png

interestingly, this post was made just a few days after

1661840213928.png

im sorry, but you are unbelievably odious and unsavoury.

Yes, these women did know what they were doing and at least one admitted it's because he is a rock star. One woman, who claims to be gender fluid or whatever and goes by 'they' did claim it was non consensual, but changed her story at least once. He has a completely different story about that one, so it's a lot of he said/she said.
If you read the previous article that's linked in it (I honestly do not recommend wasting your time on it, it's basically just a repeat of the same article) you can see this is not about literal consent and the ability to consent, it's about some brand new thing which renders women helpless, 'age gap' as mentioned in my first post here. Apparently if you are a grown woman and able to consent and do consent, that consent is not valid if the man is some unspecified years old than you, which then makes him some sort of rapist.
This is not about rape or sexual assault, it's about regret or maybe feeling used or not special enough.
An « age-gap » of around 15 years does not strike me as so exceptional. We probably all know (or have knows) people in that situation in our own little world, not to mention the love lives of the rich and famou.
So if that becomes a vulnerability, where the younger partner in the (sexual) relationship is viewed as a victim, what will come next.

An « age-gap » of around 15 years does not strike me as so exceptional. We probably all know (or have knows) people in that situation in our own little world, not to mention the love lives of the rich and famou.
So if that becomes a vulnerability, where the younger partner in the (sexual) relationship is viewed as a victim, what will come next.
I don't think that the age gap in and of itself is what is being touted here as the issue. I don't think anyone, including the women, are saying that they couldn't possibly know any better because two years ago they were in kindergarten.

The underlying and recurring theme is that they all set boundaries, and Butler repeatedly disregarded those boundaries. Now, sure, maybe they're all in a club and none of it happened and it's all a big conspiracy to ruin his reputation. But I doubt it.

The age thing becomes relevant in as much as a younger adult woman will not have had the experience or time to recognize dangerous partners or to be able to discern danger signs in relationships and deal with them accordingly. Yes, they have instinct but instinct alone does not give you the wherewithal to know how to extricate yourself from a bad situation, or even avoid it all together. Age brings that, not in and of itself but because the older you are the more experienced you are and the greater skill set you've acquired and honed due to the accumulation of what you've been through.

But no, the age gap by itself is not the problem here.

I don't think that the age gap in and of itself is what is being touted here as the issue. I don't think anyone, including the women, are saying that they couldn't possibly know any better because two years ago they were in kindergarten.

The underlying and recurring theme is that they all set boundaries, and Butler repeatedly disregarded those boundaries. Now, sure, maybe they're all in a club and none of it happened and it's all a big conspiracy to ruin his reputation. But I doubt it.

The age thing becomes relevant in as much as a younger adult woman will not have had the experience or time to recognize dangerous partners or to be able to discern danger signs in relationships and deal with them accordingly. Yes, they have instinct but instinct alone does not give you the wherewithal to know how to extricate yourself from a bad situation, or even avoid it all together. Age brings that, not in and of itself but because the older you are the more experienced you are and the greater skill set you've acquired and honed due to the accumulation of what you've been through.

Any comment on Rifke’s above post?

Any comment on Rifke’s above post?
Why would I respond to the thing that posts as "rifke" and its inane, impotent attempt at tripping me up?

And what is your motive for asking-
are you its proxy now? I told it I wouldn't acknowledge it. It tried to engage me anyway. Why are you now getting involved on its behalf?

It threatened me with posting damning "links" sourced from its friend "anon"...links that still haven't materialized, and probably won't, and even if these links were posted, they aren't going to matter to me. How could they? Nothing it could do to me carries any import; no threat it could make bears any gravity.

Let me explain something about the thing that posts as "rifke." When it gets bested in a debate, which is pretty much every time, it very quickly makes things personal and employs ad hominem tactics...simply because it isn't intelligent enough to argue within the boundaries of the topic at hand. After my posts in this thread proved a little too much for it to handle, it decided to spend (apparently) hours finding some older posts of mine wherein I espoused a decidedly different viewpoint than the one I have posted regarding the Win Butler debacle.

Part of that discrepancy is due to the fact that my views are not static. I am constantly thinking, rethinking, revising, and evolving my opinions as I go. Any intelligent person does that. Rifke does not understand that, because rifke is not a particularly intelligent thing person. I do not subscribe to set-in-stone ideologies that serve only to ossify and stilt personal growth. I evaluate and reevaluate the world around me and that in turn helps me to strengthen as an individual and as a thinker.

Also, I do not think that every single instance regarding #metoo scenarios is the same; each involves a unique set of individuals and a unique set of circumstances so therefore why would I have the same opinion on every single allegation?

Lastly, those comments I made were decidedly troll-y and while I do not "recant" them per se, I'll concede that I probably should not have been so caustic or myopic about an issue that requires carefully measured consideration and at least some degree of sympathy.

It is amusing to me that the best it could do was screenshot some older posts of mine. As though I am unaware of them. Or as though anyone cares. It's not like I'm a politician running for office and someone unearthed a picture from my fratboy days where I'm in blackface. There are no stakes here. This place is an on again/off again amusement and distraction for me. No more and no less.

The really funny thing is that even if my life depended on it, I couldn't remember where to find those old posts. Because I don't care enough. But rifke does. Because this forum is rifke's life.

Think about that for a second.

Why would I respond to the thing that posts as "rifke" and its inane, impotent attempt at tripping me up?

are you its proxy now? I told it I wouldn't acknowledge it. It tried to engage me anyway. Why are you now getting involved on its behalf?

It threatened me with posting damning "links" sourced from its friend "anon"...links that still haven't materialized, and probably won't, and even if these links were posted, they aren't going to matter to me. How could they? Nothing it could do to me carries any import; no threat it could make bears any gravity.

Let me explain something about the thing that posts as "rifke." When it gets bested in a debate, which is pretty much every time, it very quickly makes things personal and employs ad hominem tactics...simply because it isn't intelligent enough to argue within the boundaries of the topic at hand. After my posts in this thread proved a little too much for it to handle, it decided to spend (apparently) hours finding some older posts of mine wherein I espoused a decidedly different viewpoint than the one I have posted regarding the Win Butler debacle.

Part of that discrepancy is due to the fact that my views are not static. I am constantly thinking, rethinking, revising, and evolving my opinions as I go. Any intelligent person does that. Rifke does not understand that, because rifke is not a particularly intelligent thing person. I do not subscribe to set-in-stone ideologies that serve only to ossify and stilt personal growth. I evaluate and reevaluate the world around me and that in turn helps me to strengthen as an individual and as a thinker.

Also, I do not think that every single instance regarding #metoo scenarios is the same; each involves a unique set of individuals and a unique set of circumstances so therefore why would I have the same opinion on every single allegation?

Lastly, those comments I made were decidedly troll-y and while I do not "recant" them per se, I'll concede that I probably should not have been so caustic or myopic about an issue that requires carefully measured consideration and at least some degree of sympathy.

It is amusing to me that the best it could do was screenshot some older posts of mine. As though I am unaware of them. Or as though anyone cares. It's not like I'm a politician running for office and someone unearthed a picture from my fratboy days where I'm in blackface. There are no stakes here. This place is an on again/off again amusement and distraction for me. No more and no less.

The really funny thing is that even if my life depended on it, I couldn't remember where to find those old posts. Because I don't care enough. But rifke does. Because this forum is rifke's life.

Like you, I find this forum to be an amusement from time to time. And one of the silly yet amusing things is watching two anonymous strangers argue with each other. In a perverse way, I was hoping for some bloodshed during a moment of boredom.

I completely agree that some people here take this place and the arguments here way too serious. They take themselves and other users too serious. Some seemingly keep logbooks over who said what, which I find disturbing, hilarious and sad, in equal measure. As if someone cares what an anonymous user said to another anonymous user about some bullshit way back. Just like you say. And like you say, there are no stakes. We are all nobodies in this context (and most other).

There you have it. A little bit of explaining and some agreement.

Like you, I find this forum to be an amusement from time to time. And one of the silly yet amusing things is watching two anonymous strangers argue with each other. In a perverse way, I was hoping for some bloodshed during a moment of boredom.

I completely agree that some people here take this place and the arguments here way too serious. They take themselves and other users too serious. Some seemingly keep logbooks over who said what, which I find disturbing, hilarious and sad, in equal measure. As if someone cares what an anonymous user said to another anonymous user about some bullshit way back. Just like you say. And like you say, there are no stakes. We are all nobodies in this context (and most other).

Totally fair take on things. Agreed 100 percent.

i dont take this place too seriously at all. im quite glad this has happened, because the thing about skylarker is that he REALLY looks like a ferengi.

now im not saying that out of malice or to be a dick. im saying it because the resemblance is UNCANNY. it's not even something i contrived to think up on my own, but, rather, it was because for a while he had a profile pic of himself in a cowboy hat and the whole time it was there i had just thought it was the little dude from star trek, whose name i did not know yet, until i looked at it clearly and realized that it was, in fact, skylarker. but what im saying is the resemblance was so uncanny that it MIGHT AS WELL have been the little dude from star trek, who i now know to be a ferengi. and for the longest time ive just wanted to announce how much skylarker resembles a ferengi, not out of malice or to be a dick, but to have other people see what i mean and be like "oh my god, the resemblance is UNCANNY!!" and for us all to thereupon stand in awe of how much skylarker looks like a ferengi. not out of malice, but out of AWE, as you do when you find a creature that mirrors in themselves another species-- like anne hathaway and eels!

so now that im not bound by niceness, i can finally say it to all the world! SKYLARKER IS A FERENGI!!!!!!!

actually it wasnt i who found the links but my anon friend working behind the scenes. therefore, it took me only a few seconds to screenshot them and post them up. but actually, it still wouldve taken only a few seconds to find the links, because all you have to do is type 'cosby' and your name into the search engine and your legendary rants come up. like this one!

1661887780552.png

YOU HAVE TO DECIDE AND THEN BE CONSISTENT, SKYLARKER!!!! YOUR VERY OWN WORDS!!!!!

as my anon friend, astutely noted: How do you go from taking it easy on serial date rapist Bill Cosby to coming down hard on Win Butler in the space of a year? For Skylarker, it's probably simply that he enjoyed The Cosby Show and doesn't care for Arcade Fire. This is his "evolution" of which he's so very proud.

Attachments

• 1661887735757.png
    1661887735757.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
now im a "thing". i used to be "brilliant", "consistently funny", and "the most intereting thing to happen here since viva" :cry:
1661889014927.png

1661889054795.png

LOL!!!! have you gone off me NOW, skylarker?!?! :lbf:

also, @Skylarker , you're like 46, right? one would expect that in your mature years you would have reached some established ways of thinking, you would have SOME idea about what you believe. you shouldnt be flip-flopping and doing complete 180s at your age. for a confused teenager who's just discovering themselves and working out what it's all about, fine. but you should be a little beyond that at your age, and the fact that you're not, says a LOT about YOUR intelligence. and it's not even like you evolve from one semi enlightened opinion to a more enlightened one. it's just one aggressively idiotic opinion after another, year after year. "I do not subscribe to set-in-stone ideologies that serve only to ossify and stilt personal growth. I evaluate and reevaluate the world around me and that in turn helps me to strengthen as an individual and as a thinker." give us a f***ing break, dude!!

did you hear that thwomping noise,@Skylarker ?! that was me THWOMPING you.

now do you hear that hopping noise? thats me hopping off!!!

cause im a bunny and that's what bunnies do!! they thwomp and they hop!!

Uh huh.

Well anyway, Win Butler's a piece of shit. First three Arcade Fire albums are incredible and I will happily to continue to follow their career in the hope that they can one day again do something HALF as good as Rococo or Intervention.

Bill Cosby is the greatest storyteller and comedian ever to walk the Earth and I proudly own every album he's ever recorded. He has given me endless comfort and amusement my whole life.

I also think he's a serial philanderer and a rapist who drugged scores of women so that he could engage in sexual acts with them against their will. That's beyond deplorable. The guy went to prison way too late and got out of prison way too soon.

Now. I've said everything I can say here. If some views I've shared recently contradict the 8,000 that Georgy Girl found the time to excavate from archived threads (with the help of "anon" of course), so be it. I apologize for nothing, I have a right to revise and change my views as I see fit, not just at this age but at any age I please.

I'm sure Georgy Girl can understand that; what with the anti-trans shit she talked about Viva Hate and all the shit she gave me for taking Viva's side and then she gets all buddy-buddy behind the scenes with Viva a short while later. I guess she's allowed to change her mind, though.

Sorry...it's allowed to change its mind.

Now. Where was I. Ah yes.

This conversation bores me. The new Arcade Fire album bores me. Georgy Girl bores me; she couldn't "thwomp" anything but a toilet seat, and even then only with her big gross flabby middle-aged undesired ass.

I'm moving on.

Last edited:
I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but holy moly guacamole Rifke and her anonymous source are really taking Skylarker to task. I don't know what more he could even say in response so I assume he'll just stay silent from here on out to avoid digging a deeper hole for himself. Look, say what you will about Skylarker, but one thing you can't take away from him is that he knows when he's been outdone and he knows when to quit. We have meek Gregor Samsa in here baying for other people's blood, but it's good that Skylarker isn't going to give it to him because judging from what we've seen so far Rifke and her anonymous source may very well turn this thread into a slaughterhouse.
Or just a regular night in Malmö, right Gregor? And here you are looking for yet more bloodshed, as if you haven't seen enough of it in your country already, you bloodthirsty vampiric Swede!
I would love to know who Rifke's anonymous source could be; I thought long and hard about it and managed to come up with three names:

1. Eddy
2. Vegan.cro
3. I decided to throw a wildcard in as my third selection, so possibly it's !Viva Hate!?

It's a question which might end up as something of a morrissey-solo.com mystery, I suppose only Rifke and FWD know the answer for sure, but boy is it a juicy piece of information that I would love to be privy to!

Thanks for the additional information. I can follow the argument but I am not finding it entirely convincing.
Most likely, these women realized later that their first reaction / instinctive reaction on the spot was not the best one. That is not unusual.
Age could be a factor if you believe that more mature women or more experienced women would have handled the situation better. Perhaps younger women who are passionate about the rock star they adore are more easily overwhelmed. But I believe that personality is also an important factor. Our responses or instincts in unpleasant situations are also conditioned by ourpersonality and ways we have developed to protect ourselves.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but holy moly guacamole Rifke and her anonymous source are really taking Skylarker to task. I don't know what more he could even say in response so I assume he'll just stay silent from here on out to avoid digging a deeper hole for himself. Look, say what you will about Skylarker, but one thing you can't take away from him is that he knows when he's been outdone and he knows when to quit. We have meek Gregor Samsa in here baying for other people's blood, but it's good that Skylarker isn't going to give it to him because judging from what we've seen so far Rifke and her anonymous source may very well turn this thread into a slaughterhouse.
Or just a regular night in Malmö, right Gregor? And here you are looking for yet more bloodshed, as if you haven't seen enough of it in your country already, you bloodthirsty vampiric Swede!
I would love to know who Rifke's anonymous source could be; I thought long and hard about it and managed to come up with three names:

1. Eddy
2. Vegan.cro
3. I decided to throw a wildcard in as my third selection, so possibly it's !Viva Hate!?

It's a question which might end up as something of a morrissey-solo.com mystery, I suppose only Rifke and FWD know the answer for sure, but boy is it a juicy piece of information that I would love to be privy to!
oh my gosh, so good to see you here, honey bunny!!!!! :rock::hearteyes: FINALLY! someone with CLEAR PERCEPTION!!!!

i thwomped him good, didnt i, honey bunny?!?!?! :hearteyes: of course, like i said, i had help. i cannot disclose who my anonymous source is, however, just like i cannot disclose the true identity of vegan cro! ive been sworn to secrecy, my sweet!!!

and doesnt that just reveal something about gregor samsa! LOL! the way he's always trying to start to shit between other people just so that he can watch! twisted!!

Back
Top Bottom