Stereogum: "Arcade Fire’s Win Butler accused of sexual misconduct, shares statement" - not another one!

A

Anonymous

"Arcade Fire’s Win Butler Accused Of Sexual Misconduct, Shares Statement"

This isn't a nice read:

Another woman also described an in-person sexual interaction with Butler that she ultimately felt was consensually blurry, given their age differences and power dynamic.

I really don't understand the new way women have found to infantilize themselves with 'the age gap'.
You are age of consent
You consent
You were not taken advantage of, get over it

Last edited:
I think the bigger point might be the fact that some of this is nonconsentuual, but you’re the lolyer.

He definitely sounds like a scumbag, but who knows what's what. Just more he said/she said bullshit. Men cover up and lie and "remember things differently" and women exaggerate or leave out the parts that don't fit the narrative they are rewriting.

At the very least he's admitting to multiple instances of infidelity, which his equally creepy wife seems to be OK with. So there's that. I find it pretty hard to believe that all of these women are full of shit, but I also find it hard to believe that he's Jack The Ripper.

I think fame is attractive to women and that it's very easy to believe they were happily complicit, to a point. And then maybe later downplayed that complicity. But I also think that even most non-famous guys are entitled scumbags, myself included, so there's nothing in these allegations that are particularly hard to believe. But just because something isn't hard to believe doesn't make it true.

I don't like the guy. Never have. My gut tells me these chicks are on the level and probably just wanted to get to know an artist they admired, and his ego manipulated them to take it further and make it sexual, or more sexual than they were comfortable with. But who knows.

What kind of guy pressures a woman to send nudes? That part is documented.

To me, right there, case closed. He's a piece of shit.

Last edited:
they're not an attractive couple anyway. each on their own is attractive but standing side by side not so much. look at the discrepancy in head size. his head could eat her head for breakfast.

1661710623756.png

Hardly a surprise that websites like Pitchfork and Stereogum are jumping on this story.

I started reading the article but gavé up after a few paragraphs. It just seems to me like most of the time, these women know what they were doing, probably enjoying the privilege of getting close to their favourite rock star, and are now trying to gain attention and make some money on his back.

So Arcade Fire are canceled now? Welcome to the club.
(I actually enjoy their music and they are an excellent live band. But they are rock stars after all, with all the behaviour that comes with that status).

In the suburbs, I...........

Neon Bible is a fantastic album. I don’t know what to make of this story, though. Disgruntled lovers or victims of a predator?

Hardly a surprise that websites like Pitchfork and Stereogum are jumping on this story.

I started reading the article but gavé up after a few paragraphs. It just seems to me like most of the time, these women know what they were doing, probably enjoying the privilege of getting close to their favourite rock star, and are now trying to gain attention and make some money on his back.

So Arcade Fire are canceled now? Welcome to the club.
(I actually enjoy their music and they are an excellent live band. But they are rock stars after all, with all the behaviour that comes with that status).
Yes, these women did know what they were doing and at least one admitted it's because he is a rock star. One woman, who claims to be gender fluid or whatever and goes by 'they' did claim it was non consensual, but changed her story at least once. He has a completely different story about that one, so it's a lot of he said/she said.
If you read the previous article that's linked in it (I honestly do not recommend wasting your time on it, it's basically just a repeat of the same article) you can see this is not about literal consent and the ability to consent, it's about some brand new thing which renders women helpless, 'age gap' as mentioned in my first post here. Apparently if you are a grown woman and able to consent and do consent, that consent is not valid if the man is some unspecified years old than you, which then makes him some sort of rapist.
This is not about rape or sexual assault, it's about regret or maybe feeling used or not special enough.

Yes, these women did know what they were doing and at least one admitted it's because he is a rock star. One woman, who claims to be gender fluid or whatever and goes by 'they' did claim it was non consensual, but changed her story at least once. He has a completely different story about that one, so it's a lot of he said/she said.
If you read the previous article that's linked in it (I honestly do not recommend wasting your time on it, it's basically just a repeat of the same article) you can see this is not about literal consent and the ability to consent, it's about some brand new thing which renders women helpless, 'age gap' as mentioned in my first post here. Apparently if you are a grown woman and able to consent and do consent, that consent is not valid if the man is some unspecified years old than you, which then makes him some sort of rapist.
This is not about rape or sexual assault, it's about regret or maybe feeling used or not special enough.
It's also about power dynamic! Lol

I don't really see how that comes into play though if the guy isn't your boss or teacher and you aren't dependant upon him in anyway. Maybe what the person meant is impressive dynamic, like if you're really impressed by a person then that person is automatically taking advantage of you.

you can see this is not about literal consent and the ability to consent, it's about some brand new thing which renders women helpless, 'age gap' as mentioned in my first post here. Apparently if you are a grown woman and able to consent and do consent, that consent is not valid if the man is some unspecified years old than you, which then makes him some sort of rapist.
I don't think that's quite exactly what it's saying at all.

I think that the age gap issue is not particularly relavant/necessary to bring up in and of itself, for the very reasons you stated. There is nothing inherently wrong with a 20 year age difference especially when the younger party is well into legal adulthood. However...

It does bear some weight when Butler's other behavior is factored in, because now it is clear that maybe he is mining inexperienced women for prurient reasons.

I think that the age gap issue is not particularly relavant/necessary to bring up in and of itself, for the very reasons you stated. There is nothing inherently wrong with a 20 year age difference especially when the younger party is well into legal adulthood. However...

It does bear some weight when Butler's other behavior is factored in, because now it is clear that maybe he is mining inexperienced women for prurient reasons.
I imagine younger people are more up for a casual adulterous connection with a rock star than older people with more established ways. That doesn't mean he's out there preying specifically upon them.

I had a longer response written out but decided to edit and keep it simple. Age gap and power imbalance are brought up many times in the 2 articles and there is a quote about it in my first post in this thread about it, I don't recall inexperience being brought up as an issue.

Last edited:
I think the radio station at work must not be woke at all because today it kept playing the arcade fire and the day after Macy gray made the trans comments it kept playing Macy gray.

Now that I know this about win butler i like him better. I have such a soft spot for wicked men! <3

I imagine younger people are more up for a casual adulterous connection with a rock star than older people with more established ways. That doesn't mean he's out there preying specifically upon them.
Agreed, but that's why the text messages and digital breadcrumbs are important. Otherwise it's hearsay.

I had a longer response written out but decided to edit and keep it simple. Age gap and power imbalance are brought up many times in the 2 articles and there is a quote about it in my first post in this thread about it, I don't recall inexperience being brought up as an issue.
A younger age implies inexperience. It's not necessarily or by any means tantamount to it.

I am not talking about what the article implied, or what you think it implied, I am talking about what it actually said.
OK but let's look at this initial post of yours-

I really don't understand the new way women have found to infantilize themselves with 'the age gap'.
You are age of consent. You consent. You were not taken advantage of, get over it.

How is a woman "infantilizing" herself by reporting on an incident or pattern of incidents with an older man? Should she claim he was younger, or that she was older? As far as I can tell she's just telling her side of the story. You are the one who is deciding she is "infantilizing" herself.

Yes. "Age of consent" means ability to consent; it does not preclude or excuse being taken advantage of, manipulated, or assaulted.

"Get over" being sexually assaulted/manipulated. You sound like a c***.

Back
Top Bottom