Stephen Street talks Hackney, Morrissey and guitar music’s ‘last hurrah' - The Hackney Gazette

The Smiths and Blur producer Stephen Street talks Hackney, Morrissey and guitar music’s ‘last hurrah’ - The Hackney Gazette.
By Sam Gelder.

Excerpt:
"He hasn’t spoken to Morrissey for “four or five years”, since they met-up during the re-mastering of Viva Hate. Street was surprised to see him endorsing Brexit and Nigel Farage in recent interviews.

“I must admit I’m a little bit shocked by some of the things he’s said,” Street continued. “It could be for shock value – he did like a headline or two. It could be down to the fact he doesn’t spend much time in this country and he’s a bit out of touch with the general feeling."

Street discusses aspects of working with The Smiths & Blur.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
"he’s a bit out of touch with the general feeling" could've sworn it was a majority vote?

Stephen Street was the person who, literally, salved Morrissey's solo career. They did an amazing work together

"he’s a bit out of touch with the general feeling" could've sworn it was a majority vote?
How Street could know the 'general feeling' at the time seems a bit like hindsight coming through - I don't recall any clear nationwide feeling either way.
It actually came down to quite a close call and just over half agreed with Morrissey not the 'shocked' Street.
(51.9% to leave verses 48.1% remain with a 72.2% turn out).

Last edited:
Read the whole quote. Then keeping re-reading it and eventually you'll spot your error.

He hasn’t spoken to Morrissey for “four or five years”, since they met-up during the re-mastering of Viva Hate. Street was surprised to see him endorsing Brexit and Nigel Farage in recent interviews.

“I must admit I’m a little bit shocked by some of the things he’s said,” Street continued. “It could be for shock value – he did like a headline or two. It could be down to the fact he doesn’t spend much time in this country and he’s a bit out of touch with the general feeling.”

Not sure how that reads to you, but to me (and it could just be the newspaper implying it) it comes across that he's saying Morrissey's pro-Brexit and Farage stance is against the general feeling of the country - which is bollocks, on the Brexit element in any case.

I think the general feeling amongst the cultural/ artistic/ entertainment community is that Brexit is a bad thing.
That's probably what he means.

I think the general feeling amongst the cultural/ artistic/ entertainment community is that Brexit is a bad thing.
That's probably what he means.

I agree with the first part but he's coming across like numerous other remainers as appearing to be more informed on the whole Brexit debate than anyone who could possibly vote for leave - in this instance blaming it on Morrissey being somewhat detached as he's regularly out of the country. Wonder what his reasoning is for the other 17.4 million people who voted the opposite to himself?

Street was rightly pissed when Morrissey messed about with Viva Hate. In particular, replacing The Ordinary Boys with a low quality demo recording of Treat Me Like A Human Being - apparently, completely unrelated to the Viva Hate era. I have a theory Morrissey deleted The Ordinary Boys because he hates Preston and his band that took the song's name...

Street was rightly pissed when Morrissey messed about with Viva Hate. In particular, replacing The Ordinary Boys with a low quality demo recording of Treat Me Like A Human Being - apparently, completely unrelated to the Viva Hate era. I have a theory Morrissey deleted The Ordinary Boys because he hates Preston and his band that took the song's name...

He put them on 'Songs to Save Your Life' in 2004. (Oh, God is it THAT long ago, I feel old). Wonder what happened between then and 2012.

Stephen Street was the person who, literally, salved Morrissey's solo career. They did an amazing work together

or the Smiths and M gave Street a career. And yes, I agree...

'VIVA HATE' :rock:

He put them on 'Songs to Save Your Life' in 2004. (Oh, God is it THAT long ago, I feel old). Wonder what happened between then and 2012.

Not much of any importance. :thumb:

More likely that Morrissey spend his annual self-awareness allowance on realising the song was a snobbish piece of junk. Something he should do more often, except he should also have decent songs in reserve as replacements.

or the Smiths and M gave Street a career. And yes, I agree...

'VIVA HATE' :rock:

Working with The Smiths/Morrissey definitely helped Street make name for himself (which he rightly earned). But there's no need to downplay the fact that he played an intrinsic and crucial role in helping Morrissey launch his solo career. At the time Morrissey had no plan, was not confident, and had no obvious writing partner(s) to turn to. I think we're all thankful that Street reached out to Morrissey with the music that became Viva Hate.

Working with The Smiths/Morrissey definitely helped Street make name for himself (which he rightly earned). But there's no need to downplay the fact that he played an intrinsic and crucial role in helping Morrissey launch his solo career. At the time Morrissey had no plan, was not confident, and had no obvious writing partner(s) to turn to. I think we're all thankful that Street reached out to Morrissey with the music that became Viva Hate.

'But there's no need to downplay the fact that he played an intrinsic and crucial role in helping Morrissey launch his solo career.'

'downplay'? NO I never did that. My comment was more in reply to that posters choice of word 'saved'.

In hindsight we could see the good fortune for both sides of the collaboration and the good work that came from it. At the time how sure were they really?, a feeling that it might work is what was pushing them on to do it and see what happens(from what I could gather). And fortunately for all it worked out pretty well.

'But there's no need to downplay the fact that he played an intrinsic and crucial role in helping Morrissey launch his solo career.'

'downplay'? NO I never did that. My comment was more in reply to that posters choice of word 'saved'.

In hindsight we could see the good fortune for both sides of the collaboration and the good work that came from it. At the time how sure were they really?, a feeling that it might work is what was pushing them on to do it and see what happens(from what I could gather). And fortunately for all it worked out pretty well.

OK, fair enough. It's just so fortuitous that Street, someone Morrissey had familiarity and (presumably) comfortability with, had music ready to go.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom