Stephen Street on Morrissey (Mojo 327, February 2021)

Stephen Street Feb 2021.jpg

Related Item:

I don't want my potential partner to call me "personal assistant" just to avoid uncomfortable questions. That's unworthy. Look where Liberace ended up.

No, 'cos that name's even longer than the one you already have...
I used to have a different one but I forgot the password for that account.

Yep. People simply don’t have the empathy or compassion to try and put themselves in his shoes. Morrissey is not a lawyer or music business mogul, and dealing with the stress of the business for an artist is not a good headspace to be in when you’re trying to be creative. Morrissey is a true artist, not perfect, messed up, and that’s how I like mine. :cool:

Morrissey is a true artist, not perfect, messed up, and that’s how I like mine.

Exactly Exactly Exactly
words taken out of my mouth that is!

He was detached from reality in his Stretford bubble, in his Sloane Square bubble, in his Bowdon bubble, in his Camden bubble, and so on.

He has always been detached from any reality, other than his own.

Long may he reign ;)

He has always been detached from any reality, other than his own.

True but also true for most of us

:)

true :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: has always been detached from reality:mad:
the wig :guardsman: keeps the oxygen from reaching his mini brain
specially now when its rumored that the wig demanded a :mask:
to wear:(

Morrissey admits he's difficult - there's a difference between that & hysterical bullshit stories in the press that people who still haunt this site appear to believe yet don't have the self-respect to move on to an artist whose publicity they prefer.
😂😂😂😂

I’ve never thought of morrissey as detached, ever...
He’s always been a couple of years ahead of most folks in his thinking or his views...
This is why the media have struggled with him.. hence many a battle...
After the Smiths he was a lot more savvy about how things work in pop land, so he’s been nobody’s fool ever since.... he knows how to make his art, and don’t take any crap from anyone.....
I admire people who know what they want and then go get it ...
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tony has done a lot of great things for musicians in Manchester, but seemed to not really like M, so I’m sure whatever he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt. We will never know what happened until we can see the contracts and what was the agreement between the artists, and hear both sides of the story to understand the reasons for the decisions behind this, what is so far, just gossip.

@Eldritch

The truth is, we could only assume things and form opinions, but unfortunately so far we will never know what really happened.

We must be fair if we are going to judge the affairs of strangers. Mere gossip.

So it’s best to wait and not be so one sided and negative, which as we can see is the easiest thing to do, it is the low road.

Let’s be better than that. :thumb:

It's not gossip from Tony Wilson, he was actually involved in dealing financially with Morrissey.

Tony has done a lot of great things for musicians in Manchester, but seemed to not really like M, so I’m sure whatever he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt. We will never know what happened until we can see the contracts and what was the agreement between the artists, and hear both sides of the story to understand the reasons for the decisions behind this, what is so far, just gossip.

@Eldritch

The truth is, we could only assume things and form opinions, but unfortunately so far we will never know what really happened.

So it’s best to wait and not be so one sided and negative, which as we can see is the easiest thing to do, it is the low road.

Well, there is really noting to "wait" on. Morrissey is not going to give some rebuttal or provide contracts from 1987 for public viewing. It sounds like what you're really saying is that you choose not to believe Street because it paints aspects of Morrissey in a negative light. On the flip side, if Morrissey made some negative claims about working with Street you probably wouldn't require an information vetting process before accepting it. :)

Sorry, it was 800. Here's the interview with Tony Wilson, Vini's deal is talked about towards the end, but all of it is fascinating.

That is unreal. What a complete tightwad. £800? What a joke. I'd say most or all of what Tony Wilson said is spot on.

@Eldritch

Moz is as tight as a duck's arse. And that's watertight. Don't let yourself make excuses for him. Tony Wilson might not have liked Morrissey but Tony was honest and real and didn't forget his roots. He called things as he saw them. I believe him. Morrissey wouldn't pay for a glass of water in the desert.

To be paid whatever had been agreed. Moz's mother answered the phone and told Street that he'd already been paid enough. I'm not saying anything against Moz's lovely mother there. I do think that Moz doesn't like parting with money though.

Most likely, the contractual arrangement were as bad in 1988 as they were during the time of the Smiths. Morrissey had a manager around that time that he didn't get along with, he hadn't found a professional team that he could trust, and his mother was still looking after his business in the background. Of course, S. Street was right when he asked for these arrangements to be clearly spelled out on paper.

🧐

Tony Wilson was an utter cuck😶

If you dont think Damon is Moz bodyguard try messing with Moz. Damon will 🏋️‍♂️

Most likely, the contractual arrangement were as bad in 1988 as they were during the time of the Smiths. Morrissey had a manager around that time that he didn't get along with, he hadn't found a professional team that he could trust, and his mother was still looking after his business in the background. Of course, S. Street was right when he asked for these arrangements to be clearly spelled out on paper.
In 1988? The only thing that’s changed about any of that is that his mother is dead now.

It seems that the contacts between Morrissey and Street have been erratic and scarce since they terminated their collaboration. Still, I got away from this little article with the feeling that there have been more contacts between Morrissey and Street than between Morrissey and Marr since the break-up.

I would actually be interested to know what Stephen Street would come up with as a producer and the current (lawnmowers) band, especially on IANADOAC because that album brings back influences from the British 80s. So yes, I do think that Morrissey should include Street in a next project.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom