Statement from Morrissey on medical problems and tour - TTY, 16 March 2013

U.S. tour - true-to-you.net

16 March 2013

U.S. tour

There are no plans to continue with the present U.S. tour due to Morrissey's ongoing medical problems, and dates will not be rescheduled. Morrissey is bitterly disappointed with this decision and he apologizes to everyone who has been inconvenienced.

"It takes a lifetime to find the right words, and at the moment, I haven't got them. I've been a colossal pain where this continuously unpredictable illness is concerned, and now the physical limits have been reached. The tour had, in fact, been fantastic for all of us - a new slice of life full of concentrated power. The audiences everywhere have given so much, although I know that neither of us will ever receive our due. I hope this isn't the end, and I hope there will be other chances, minus the heavy burden of illness. Knots of grief today, but full of resolve for tomorrow."

Morrissey, Mexico, 16 March.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Statement From Morrissey On Medical Problems And Tour - TTY, 16 March 2013

O m g

Sometimes I simply don't understand your psychology. From none other than the lesser Morrissey fans website's favourite resident jackbooted moderator. While my guitar gently weeps etc etc

anyway hope Morrissey gets better soon, perhaps such a terrible illness may see him take stock of his position and decide to do one thing or another. Just hope it isn't too serious. Recuperate, recover but don't repackage Vauxhall & I.

Get well soon Mozzer....Please just release your album, you don't need a big record label the quality of your words & music sell itself.
Hrrmm, Showie Bowie has shown how word of mouth can springboard new music on the internet.

Your constant touring of a dead horse since 2009, has climaxed to ill health. Pray you recuperate at home is a question mark Manchester, Rome , LA finish your autobiography which has been in the pipeline since 2004.

All we want is a happy healthy hero........Viva Moz.......

hug2.gif

Attachments

• hug2.gif
    hug2.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 79

Legal problems are brewing.

What a joke this has turned out ! He should change his name to Fred Dibnah and live in past. He treats his fans like SHIT !! We know whats going on before he and true to poo make crass statements.
If you ever make a return Morrissey get up to speed and get some staff in who you can trust ffs !
TIME IS NOT ON YOUR SIDE !!!!
Get it sorted you silly old wanker

Johnny Marr is laughing quietly over in England.....

Is this what is making Morrissey ill? Could have been written by him or maybe about him...

"You Feel So Lonely You Could Die" By David Bowie

No-one ever saw you
Moving through the dark
Leaving slips of paper
Somewhere in the park
Hidden from your friends
Stealing all they knew
Love is thrown in airless rooms
Then vile rewards for you

But I'm gonna tell
Yes I've gotta tell
Gotta tell the things you've said
When you're talking in the dark
And I'm gonna tell the things you've done
When you're walking through the park

Some night on the thriller’s street
Will come the silent gun
You've got a dangerous heart
You stole their trust, their moon, their sun
There'll come assassin’s needle
On a crowded train
I bet you'll feel so lonely
You could die

Buildings crammed with people
Landscape filled with wrath
Grey concrete city
Rain has wet the street
I want to see you clearly
Before you close the door
A room of bloody history
You made sure of that

I can see you as a corpse
Hanging from a beam
I can read you like a book
I can feel you falling
I hear you moaning in your room
Oh see if I care
Oh please, please make it soon

Walls have got you cornered
You've got the blues my friend
And people don't like you
But you will leave without a sound, without an end

Oblivion shall own you
Death alone shall love you
I hope you feel so lonely
You could die
You feel so lonely
You could die
You feel so lonely
You could die

Is this what is making Morrissey ill? Could have been written by him or maybe about him...

"You Feel So Lonely You Could Die" By David Bowie

No-one ever saw you
Moving through the dark
Leaving slips of paper
Somewhere in the park
Hidden from your friends
Stealing all they knew
Love is thrown in airless rooms
Then vile rewards for you

[...]

Oblivion shall own you
Death alone shall love you
I hope you feel so lonely
You could die
You feel so lonely
You could die
You feel so lonely
You could die

I've really been enjoying the new Bowie album, but I've never seen a lyric of his so full of vitriol. It does make you wonder just who the target is, but we'll probably never know for sure.

Last edited:

What a joke this has turned out ! He should change his name to Fred Dibnah and live in past. He treats his fans like SHIT !! We know whats going on before he and true to poo make crass statements.
If you ever make a return Morrissey get up to speed and get some staff in who you can trust ffs !
TIME IS NOT ON YOUR SIDE !!!!
Get it sorted you silly old wanker

This had me crying with laughter, best post I've ever read!

Morrissey actually did find the right words: this tour was fantastic. It was "full of concentrated power." You could feel it, and I feel very lucky indeed to have seen him at a few of these last, spectacular shows. I left those gigs electrified, wondering how he managed to maintain that level of spirit, artistry and energy even at this late date, with no new contract in sight and an ongoing war of attrition with the press that was leaving a wide swath of ill feeling and loads of collateral damage.

These cannot be good times for the man - in certain ways they must be fairly grim. Anyone who has ever been a performer (particularly a musician) knows what it is to be onstage, to feel that love and that power reflected back at you. Anyone who has had any level of fame or celebrity understands the unique pressures and responsibilities that go along with being the focus of the fantasies of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of strangers. Even a taste of that kind of life is maddening - awful and addictive at once. Throw in depression and introversion and it's a wonder he's made it this far. As Morrissey has said so often: the sanest days are mad, and his brand of madness is unparalleled. There are plenty of other pop stars out there with fanatical followers and intense career trajectories, but Morrissey tops them all in terms of the intensity and religious fervor of his audience, and the obviously conflicted nature of that mutual relationship. Some artists (if they are very lucky and talented) reach that kind of crescendo for a few years - he's been living inside it for decades. It's hell to maintain, and it hurts terribly to let go.

"It takes a lifetime to find the right words, and at the moment, I haven't got them. I've been a colossal pain where this continuously unpredictable illness is concerned, and now the physical limits have been reached. The tour had, in fact, been fantastic for all of us - a new slice of life full of concentrated power. The audiences everywhere have given so much, although I know that neither of us will ever receive our due. I hope this isn't the end, and I hope there will be other chances, minus the heavy burden of illness. Knots of grief today, but full of resolve for tomorrow."

He's the most gifted lyricist/vocalist of his generation, and talent like that is rare and comes at a great personal cost. He may be gravely flawed as a human being, but he's singular and irreplaceable and like most geniuses he makes the impossible look easy. I hope that he continues to find inspiration in this life: to write his autobiography, write more lyrics, and most of all to sing.

We'll be waiting.

Last edited:
Anaesthesine, why are you so awesome? :clap:

Joke?

Sometimes I simply don't understand your psychology.

You might be given an infraction later if you keep posting insensitive offensive comments about his illness / cancellation.

For the record, I did not delete any posts in this thread. Other mod did and it has been undeleted with a spoiler tag.

kewpie, i applaud you for understanding 'hate speech' and it's ramifications. :)

get well, moz.

Morrissey actually did find the right words: this tour was fantastic. It was "full of concentrated power." You could feel it, and I feel very lucky indeed to have seen him at a few of these last, spectacular shows. I left those gigs electrified, wondering how he managed to maintain that level of spirit, artistry and energy even at this late date, with no new contract in sight and an ongoing war of attrition with the press that was leaving a wide swath of ill feeling and loads of collateral damage.

These cannot be good times for the man - in certain ways they must be fairly grim. Anyone who has ever been a performer (particularly a musician) knows what it is to be onstage, to feel that love and that power reflected back at you. Anyone who has had any level of fame or celebrity understands the unique pressures and responsibilities that go along with being the focus of the fantasies of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of strangers. Even a taste of that kind of life is maddening - awful and addictive at once. Throw in depression and introversion and it's a wonder he's made it this far. As Morrissey has said so often: the sanest days are mad, and his brand of madness is unparalleled. There are plenty of other pop stars out there with fanatical followers and intense career trajectories, but Morrissey tops them all in terms of the intensity and religious fervor of his audience, and the obviously conflicted nature of that mutual relationship. Some artists (if they are very lucky and talented) reach that kind of crescendo for a few years - he's been living inside it for decades. It's hell to maintain, and it hurts terribly to let go.

He's the most gifted lyricist/vocalist of his generation, and talent like that is rare and comes at a great personal cost. He may be gravely flawed as a human being, but he's singular and irreplaceable and like most geniuses he makes the impossible look easy. I hope that he continues to find inspiration in this life: to write his autobiography, write more lyrics, and most of all to sing.

We'll be waiting.

I feel quite fortunate to have seen Morrissey twice on this tour. He was fantastic.

I, too, will be waiting for his return.

Farewell sir. Hope you make it back to these shores before you retire. If not, Davis was wonderful. Thank you. -MR

This.

How insensitive could her remarks possibly have been? Have you read the "insensitive" crap that's been written about somebody who used to post here and died last week? Yet all of those posts remain? Why is it perfectly acceptable to say offensive things about a forum member's untimely death while "insensitive" comments about Sicknote Steve's latest health-scare aren't?

I've never before criticised the moderation on these boards, but there's something very wrong here. I understand davidt's position on free expression and normally I agree with him 100%, but probably half, or more, of the posts on the threads about Margaret Dale's passing ought to have been deleted immediately. Freedom of speech be damned.

Couldn't agree more - Thanks for saying it.

Re: Article: Statement from Morrissey on medical problems and tour - TTY, 16 March 20

Obviously, anyone who had tickets for this leg of the tour is devastated. I was absolutely gutted when I saw the headline, mostly because his concerts provide a joy that is so intense that it is impossible to explain it to someone who does not share the love for this beautiful poet, but also out of fear that I will not get a refund from Stub Hub for the first row tickets that I purchased for Philly. Personal anxiety aside, this was completely the right decision to make. While in the past, we wondered if some of his illnesses were a bit "embellished", it seems that he has been struggling terribly this year. He needs proper rest and medical attention so that he can thrive once again, and he needs to set a more cautious pace for any future tours. By now, he should know that we will happily come to him wherever he is. While this must be an unbearably frustrating situation for him, Morrissey must realize that the shows that did take place were magical. I was fortunate to attend six this past year, and each was better than the previous one. He is the only singer whose voice manages to improve with age, and his connection with his audience is so intense that most leave the venue in a complete state of ecstacy, in the truest sense of the word. I wish him health and happiness, and I hope that this can be turned into a positive situation. There is nothing like a little solitude to spark the creative mind. This could be the perfect opportunity to write feverishly, with no intrusions from the outside world. If he never writes another word, he has still given us far more than any other lyricist; he has given us the songs that saved our lives; yet, I believe he still has volumes of profound and provocative lines to write. I will be waiting patiently. As for those who criticize him brutally, attacking him for being ill, gaurded, and at times insensitive with his public statements, have you ever consider why he acts this way? This was a fragile, sensitive boy who barely survived his youth; by some great combination of luck and timing, he became famous for articulating the most difficult human emotions that many of us must endure. But fame brings harsh scrutiny, and the shy boy poet had to somehow protect himself from the vile human beings that take great pleasure in destroying anyone, anything that is fragile, delicate, and beautiful. It is no wonder he seems so jaded at this point; he has had to build an even thicker, stronger wall between himself and a world that seems set out to destroy him. I hope that you all will remember each and every song that made you love him in the first place. Hold on to that emotion and pray that he comes back to us soon. My love, wherever you are, whatever you are, don't lose faith!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom