Statement from Morrissey: It isn't nice and you shouldn't do it - TTY, 22 May 2013

Re: Statement from Morrissey: It isn't nice and you shouldn't do it - TTY, 22 May 20

While I don't agree with foie gras, because it is incredibly cruel...it isn't any of Morrissey's f***ing business what any woman decides to eat during her pregnancy. Saturated fat is nourishing for the baby and his/her development, especially the brain and nervous system.

Since he doesn't have a clue about health and nutrition in ANY aspect, he ought to shut up. But of course, he won't, because he isn't getting any attention otherwise.

Anyone who would raise their baby as a vegetarian should be jailed. It goes completely against what the body needs, especially as a baby. Breast milk is mostly saturated fat and it gives a little one everything they could possibly need nutrient wise.

I know many of you will shit your pants reading that, but it's the truth. Tell the Masai otherwise, and every other tribe on the planet who eat meat, fat and dairy and are exceptionally healthy with no degenerative diseases known in the first world.

You're wrong. Most saturated fats are linear carbon chains like C14 myristic, C16 palmitic and C18 Stearic. They peak in crystallinity around C18, and these and the triglycerides of these clog up your arteries. The ones you must be thinking about are mostly the insaturated one like palmitoleic, oleic, and linoleic. These are liquid fatty acids, and as such the triglycerides, like olive oil, tend to be too. These are the ones useful for the brain and nervous system, not the linear saturated ones.

P.

Re: Statement from Morrissey: It isn't nice and you shouldn't do it - TTY, 22 May 20

No. You're wrong. There has never been any credible evidence to support the claim that saturated fat clogs arteries.

Please. Go to Africa and tell the Masai that all the saturated fat they're eating is clogging their arteries. While you're at it, go to Mongolia and tell the natives that too. Have fun.

But, you see, it's true: Pregnant women do "wobble". Some women are incredibly cute and some are incredibly hideous when they wobble. Kate Middleton is obviously hideous in Morrissey's eyes. It has nothing to do with wobbling, really. Lest you forget - Morrissey has a sister who gave birth to two beautiful boys whom he probably looked after and cared for as if they were his own. I'm sure she was an adorable wobbler. As was my best friend who gave birth to my incredibly intelligent and handsome Godchildren (both vegetarians at birth)

People pick apart every last syllable and then get insulted because they generalize everything he says. It borders on being terribly tedious and ridiculous.

... while others tie themselves in knots defending the words of a multi-millionaire.

For the record I praised this statement. Fois gras is a disgusting trade, and for a change he made his point rather well, excluding his attempts at humour. I did, however, say I understood how the poster who objected to the word might find it unacceptable.

In future I shall take your advice and verbally insult pregnant women I do not know who do not meet my ideal of feminine beauty, or have married someone I don't care for. Because that is perfectly normal behaviour apparently, and not at all completely mad.

This is the least I can do for my Mozzer's b-day. :) Fois grais sale & production is banned in California too.!

It may be banned in CA, but apparently some clueless, stupid chefs and restaurant owners are milking the law by offering it "free" with 3-5-7 course expensive meals. In other words, if you spend enough money, you get foie gras as a "gift." Absolutely repulsive. Article link:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/iteam&id=9092775

Foie gras may have cultural importance in France (with Egyptian roots), but it is just plain cruel and evil. When we now know, through scientific studies, so much more about how animals feel, what they feel, and how they think, how can we justify this treatment? Nature is interconnected, break connections and we see catastrophes and extinctions. Minute, local, large, global - catastrophes and extinctions. These interconnections demand that we no longer turn our fat faces away from animal cruelty. Human evolvement in understanding nature (by now) screams that we are not the only "important" creatures who suffer . Certainly, then, this knowledge trumps a culturally significant, yet evil act? It must, if we are to continue plodding upon this earth, amongst each other. Otherwise, there is no line.

Also, please don't be fooled by "humane production of foie gras," because, as we all know, anything done for profit, at large scale, and where one has control over another deemed "lesser," will never be humane or right.

... while others tie themselves in knots defending the words of a multi-millionaire.

For the record I praised this statement. Fois gras is a disgusting trade, and for a change he made his point rather well, excluding his attempts at humour. I did, however, say I understood how the poster who objected to the word might find it unacceptable.

In future I shall take your advice and verbally insult pregnant women I do not know who do not meet my ideal of feminine beauty, or have married someone I don't care for. Because that is perfectly normal behaviour apparently, and not at all completely mad.

What does the fact that he's a multi-millionaire have anything to do with this? Why point that out?

And if you really feel that I made that post because I think it's okay to insult pregnant women, well, then apparently you didn't read what I wrote at all. Kate is the insult here...not the word. I was just pointing out that often people can't see the forest for the trees when Morrissey makes a statement. They get hooked on one little thing he says and then forget about the importance as a whole. Yes, it's a disgusting trade - yes!!! But it's also disgusting that Kate supports it, but why should we be shocked? She's quite a disgusting person. That's what he's saying. It has nothing to do with the fact that she wobbles at the moment. Jaysus.

You're wrong. Most saturated fats are linear carbon chains like C14 myristic, C16 palmitic and C18 Stearic. They peak in crystallinity around C18, and these and the triglycerides of these clog up your arteries. The ones you must be thinking about are mostly the insaturated one like palmitoleic, oleic, and linoleic. These are liquid fatty acids, and as such the triglycerides, like olive oil, tend to be too. These are the ones useful for the brain and nervous system, not the linear saturated ones.

P.

Theres always someone, somewhere etc etc:D

What does the fact that he's a multi-millionaire have anything to do with this? Why point that out?

And if you really feel that I made that post because I think it's okay to insult pregnant women, well, then apparently you didn't read what I wrote at all. Kate is the insult here...not the word. I was just pointing out that often people can't see the forest for the trees when Morrissey makes a statement. They get hooked on one little thing he says and then forget about the importance as a whole. Yes, it's a disgusting trade - yes!!! But it's also disgusting that Kate supports it, but why should we be shocked? She's quite a disgusting person. That's what he's saying. It has nothing to do with the fact that she wobbles at the moment. Jaysus.

While I disagree with her alleged enjoyment of fois gras, I get the feeling you think she's a disgusting person because a pop singer told you.

While I disagree with her alleged enjoyment of fois gras, I get the feeling you think she's a disgusting person because a pop singer told you.

Wow...for someone who tries to come off as an intelligent thinker - you're really stupid.

Wow...for someone who tries to come off as an intelligent thinker - you're really stupid.

I have to admit, I am a little lost. Besides the foie gras, why is she disgusting again?

I have to admit, I am a little lost. Besides the foie gras, why is she disgusting again?

I never said she was disgusting. Read my comment again.

I never said she was disgusting. Read my comment again.

Sorry. Still lost. Because she supports it or in addition to?

No. You're wrong. There has never been any credible evidence to support the claim that saturated fat clogs arteries.

Please. Go to Africa and tell the Masai that all the saturated fat they're eating is clogging their arteries. While you're at it, go to Mongolia and tell the natives that too. Have fun.

Wrong again. Do you actually know about differing carbon chain lengths, fat sources, triglycerides etc? I do. I ran a lab testing them. There's a huge problem in Tonga and Fiji because their main source of fat in cooking is coconut oil, which has a high level of saturated C12 to C18 triglycerides. The Tongan royals are spearheading a campaign to cut down its consumption. And while we're at it, what peer-reviewed papers have you read that show your position of "There has never been any credible evidence to support the claim that saturated fat clogs arteries" is true? Do you actually know what you're talking about?

P.

Sorry. Still lost. Because she supports it or in addition to?

If you read the line after that comment, it says, "That's what he's saying."

- - - Updated - - -

Let me help you, Iona. See?

If you read the line after that comment, it says, "That's what he's saying."

- - - Updated - - -

Let me help you, Iona. See?

Yes I see. It just seems that the highlighted part before it was editorial. I didn't read that into his initial message. Then again, you're probably more astute then I am.

Yes I see. It just seems that the highlighted part before it was editorial. I didn't read that into his initial message. Then again, you're probably more astute then I am.

Again, "why should we be shocked?" goes with the other part of what I think he is trying to say (about why Kate is a disgusting person) Personally, I think anyone who is capable of supporting such cruelty is disgusting. I don't need much more to tell me what kind of person they are. Morrissey or no Morrissey.

Again, "why should we be shocked?" goes with the other part of what I think he is trying to say (about why Kate is a disgusting person) Personally, I think anyone who is capable of supporting such cruelty is disgusting. I don't need much more to tell me what kind of person they are. Morrissey or no Morrissey.

The thing for me is why would anyone, you or Morrissey, care enough to give even a moment's pause about Kate Middleton. I guess I have never taken the time to consider and formulate an opinion of her. So I don't consider her disgusting. I am completely indifferent to her.

Even now with this topic before me, I just don't care.

And to think some people willing do this to themselves, at home, sitting on the couch, in front of the TV...

I'd be more than happy to write to this company. There surely must be a petition around somewhere!

As always, your posts stand out like a shiny penny on the ground. :)

In this case, Morrissey's very simple argument "It isn't nice and you shouldn't do it" trumps Anthony Bourdain's entire video.

I like Bourdain - he's a smart, sophisticated, funny guy, but like most foodies, he has a blind spot a mile wide. It's clear that what Bourdain (and so many foodies) lack is empathy - the ability to feel the pain of others. I can understand that: if Bourdain were able to suddenly "connect" with the animals he's eating, his entire world would crumble. So, he attempts to rationalize his appetites and practices.

I think you are onto something here. He wants to be LOVED and respected by his chef peers--not just foodie bloggers and TV gazers. By supporting foie gras production, he comes off as supporting chefs' rights/interests. And he so badly wants to fit into that world, be a member in that club. As you know, he was a struggling chef for 25 years in NYC, working at a mediocre bistro, suffering through heroin addiction, until he got his big break with the publication of Kitchen Confidential. His career in the TV world took off from there. And he finally got the attention that he desired. Now he is beloved by many, including the top chefs in the world. But he has seemingly taken on some honorary spokesperson role for the chef causes out there, whether it be foie gras production, eating local, or supporting small farms, etc.

I do wonder at the end of the day, does he really believe a bite of duck liver--the pleasure derived from it--trumps the pain and suffering these ducks must endure to produce it? It is hard to really believe such an educated person can, I agree.

What interests me about the video is Bourdain's attacks on "fanatical, stealth vegan extremists" who want to "take your foie gras away." Yes, there are irritating, angry, unreasonable animal activists out there (Morrissey usually doesn't do the movement any favors), but what does he think they're fighting for? They don't want to take anyone's pleasure away, they're fighting for more humane, compassionate treatment of animals. Bourdain's argument that activists want to ban something that they've "never even tried" really shows his hand: foie gras may be delicious, but that doesn't make it ethical - pleasure does not trump morality.

Some of the loveliest, most generous and moral people I know eat meat, and we often get into this recurring discussion (usually over a meal); it all comes down to the fact that plenty of moral, ethical, kind people at some point choose pleasure over compassion. It happens every day. That doesn't make fois gras an ethical product, and it doesn't make turning a blind eye exemplary. It all boils down to what you can live with, and how far your compassion extends.

This whole argument is rooted in Utilitarianism, and Jeremy Bentham's basic tenant regarding animals: "The question is not, Can they reason? Nor, Can they talk? but Can they suffer?" The answer is yes, and every one of us has to base our ethical standards and actions on this simple, unassailable fact. Morrissey often shows a stunning general disregard for his fellow humans (rooted, I suspect, in our ability to reign down industrial death without batting an eyelash), but his complete empathy towards animals speaks well for his inner nature. He should be a vegan.

This is why I believe the wearing of fur is abominable. Vanity and greed are not sound reasons to justify the suffering of animals raised and killed in the fur industry. Leather, as a byproduct of food production, is different from this, imo.

I agree that Morrissey SHOULD be vegan. That he is NOT, is a contradiction that is very hard to accept. It weakens his argument and puts a crack in the foundation of his position. If you are gonna do something right, go the extra mile. Go 100 %. The milk/cheese industry is at least as barbaric and cruel as the meat industry. He seems to conveniently gloss over this fact. Much in the same way that Bourdain glosses over the cruelty of foie gras production. They both want to conveniently rationalize their choices.

Morrissey obviously feels that the pleasure he derives from eating yogurt and cheese trumps the pain of dairy cows who suffer from non-stop pregnancies, infected, painfully swollen pus filled udders, and years of confinement while being hooked up to milking machines so that their milk can be sold to humans rather than be given to their offspring, who are taken from them after birth to be raised for veal--if male--or to become dairy cows like themselves, if female (longest sentence I have written on Solo, btw).

The thing for me is why would anyone, you or Morrissey, care enough to give even a moment's pause about Kate Middleton. I guess I have never taken the time to consider and formulate an opinion of her. So I don't consider her disgusting. I am completely indifferent to her.

Even now with this topic before me, I just don't care.

To be honest, I don't care about Kate Middleton. It bothers me that some people ignore animal cruelty. The only reason she is mentioned in my post is because the discussion was originally about another poster who took offence to the word "wobble" and how Morrissey used it...

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom