Statement from Morrissey: It isn't nice and you shouldn't do it - TTY, 22 May 2013

Re: Statement from Morrissey: It isn't nice and you shouldn't do it - TTY, 22 May 20

I shall email them and some of myfacebookfriends who are animal lovers I shall give them a the adress and email

thanks Morrissey

I shall get my hands on some I did'nt know we could get it in the UK thankyou for that FAT-FACE and good luck with the baby Kate can't wait for the birth.

FAT-FACE !!!!!!!! Songs ? Got any ? or are you just gonna ramble on with silly rants ?

we'll let you know

Re: Statement from Morrissey: It isn't nice and you shouldn't do it - TTY, 22 May 20

Kate Muddleton :lbf::lbf:

Mozzer, you are just the best .

Cheers Moz

Well said, Morrissey.

Look how much more effective these types of statement become when the hyperbole is left out.

Sexist and misogynistic...this man seems to despise motherhood and the physical effects it has on a woman. "smiling mother-to-be"..."Kate will wobble in"...etc. I love Morrissey and completely agree with his sentiment around foie gras but as a relatively new mother myself I really despise his cheap sarcasm and nastiness around this unborn child. Yes Morrissey, we know you hate the royals. Yes, we know you support animal rights. This doesn't give you the right to degrade pregnancy and motherhood.

I didn't get that from the statement at all.

I'm not proud to be from the state that produces this stuff. I sent them an email. Thanks for the link.

It is only illegal to produce it. It is legal to buy and sell it. So essentially it is legal.

I wasn't saying it is OK. I was explaining how Bourdain feels about it and why he thinks it is OK. The video shows him at Hudson Valley, small company in New York. He IS opposed to large factory farms that produce foie gras.

To write him off as an idiot simply because he supports one thing you oppose seams silly. Are you aware of his positive contributions to the foodie, entertainment, and literary worlds?

Bourdain's problem with McDonald's is mainly about its corporate practices i.e. globalization, marketing tactics--especially to children--and slave wages... as well as the way it sources its meat.

It is only illegal to produce it. It is legal to buy and sell it. So essentially it is legal.

I wasn't saying it is OK. I was explaining how Bourdain feels about it and why he thinks it is OK. The video shows him at Hudson Valley, small company in New York. He IS opposed to large factory farms that produce foie gras.

To write him off as an idiot simply because he supports one thing you oppose seams silly. Are you aware of his positive contributions to the foodie, entertainment, and literary worlds?

Bourdain's problem with McDonald's is mainly about its corporate practices i.e. globalization, marketing tactics--especially to children--and slave wages... as well as the way it sources its meat.

I think that what it really comes down to is whether or not you see this as an ethical concern. I am not interested in any of this man's other literary or foodie contributions because to me those things are irrelevant; the fact is that he supports and condones an incredibly cruel practice, and attempts to defend it by making out that the animals are amazingly contented and the rest is veggie propaganda. Simply blinkered, any way you look at it.

I think there have been elements of misogyny in some of Morrissey's past statements. He doesn't seem hugely keen on women. You rarely see him with one, but perhaps there is another reason for that.

What is tedious is this infantile habit he has of "amusingly" renaming his targets.

I think there have been elements of misogyny in some of Morrissey's past statements. He doesn't seem hugely keen on women. You rarely see him with one, but perhaps there is another reason for that.

What is tedious is this infantile habit he has of "amusingly" renaming his targets.

Wrong!
Mozzer has always been an admirer of women, especially feminism.
Think back to almost every film/book he has ever quoted throughout his career.
Sheila Delaney/Pat Phoenix/every female character in coronation street.
Think to his support of Linder Sterling's very feminist work and views.
I would say he is more of a fan of women than men in any case.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I agree with Morrissey here 100%
This sick and old-fashioned tradition should be banned with immediate effect.
Already tweeted them :)

I'm not so sure Johnny, many of his favourites seem to be women - it's just that his targets are sometimes women too.

Wrong!

I'm not entirely convinced Morrissey's view of Minnie Caldwell or Ena Sharples might be greatly symbolic of his feminist credentials, but perhaps you're right. It would be interesting to see how much his views on gun control are shaped by the death of Ernest Bishop, or if he eschews hair dryers mindful of the fate of Valerie Barlow.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not so sure Johnny, many of his favourites seem to be women - it's just that his targets are sometimes women too.

Perhaps, but "wobbling" is slightly unpleasant, and I can see why the person who originally commented on the use of that word might find it a little insulting.

In this case, Morrissey's very simple argument "It isn't nice and you shouldn't do it" trumps Anthony Bourdain's entire video.

I like Bourdain - he's a smart, sophisticated, funny guy, but like most foodies, he has a blind spot a mile wide. It's clear that what Bourdain (and so many foodies) lack is empathy - the ability to feel the pain of others. I can understand that: if Bourdain were able to suddenly "connect" with the animals he's eating, his entire world would crumble. So, he attempts to rationalize his appetites and practices.

What interests me about the video is Bourdain's attacks on "fanatical, stealth vegan extremists" who want to "take your foie gras away." Yes, there are irritating, angry, unreasonable animal activists out there (Morrissey usually doesn't do the movement any favors), but what does he think they're fighting for? They don't want to take anyone's pleasure away, they're fighting for more humane, compassionate treatment of animals. Bourdain's argument that activists want to ban something that they've "never even tried" really shows his hand: foie gras may be delicious, but that doesn't make it ethical - pleasure does not trump morality.

Some of the loveliest, most generous and moral people I know eat meat, and we often get into this recurring discussion (usually over a meal); it all comes down to the fact that plenty of moral, ethical, kind people at some point choose pleasure over compassion. It happens every day. That doesn't make fois gras an ethical product, and it doesn't make turning a blind eye exemplary. It all boils down to what you can live with, and how far your compassion extends.

This whole argument is rooted in Utilitarianism, and Jeremy Bentham's basic tenant regarding animals: "The question is not, Can they reason? Nor, Can they talk? but Can they suffer?" The answer is yes, and every one of us has to base our ethical standards and actions on this simple, unassailable fact. Morrissey often shows a stunning general disregard for his fellow humans (rooted, I suspect, in our ability to reign down industrial death without batting an eyelash), but his complete empathy towards animals speaks well for his inner nature. He should be a vegan.

Last edited:

Sexist and misogynistic...this man seems to despise motherhood and the physical effects it has on a woman. "smiling mother-to-be"..."Kate will wobble in"...etc. I love Morrissey and completely agree with his sentiment around foie gras but as a relatively new mother myself I really despise his cheap sarcasm and nastiness around this unborn child. Yes Morrissey, we know you hate the royals. Yes, we know you support animal rights. This doesn't give you the right to degrade pregnancy and motherhood.

Morrissey isn't mysoginistic, but he simply despises Kate Middleton who managed to get married to the future king of UK.

It's not very convincing to attack Duchess of Cambridge in this manner.

Again, he could have chosen the words more carefully to voice his opinion regarding animal welfare issues.

Last edited:

To write [Bourdain] off as an idiot simply because he supports one thing you oppose seams silly.

Supporting foie gras is like supporting child rape. Crimes like these aren't just "things". Supporting them says a lot about one's personality.

Wrong!

Also look at how many times he has had Kristeen Young open for him. I don't think anyone besides her has ever done more than one tour.

Perhaps, but "wobbling" is slightly unpleasant, and I can see why the person who originally commented on the use of that word might find it a little insulting.

But, you see, it's true: Pregnant women do "wobble". Some women are incredibly cute and some are incredibly hideous when they wobble. Kate Middleton is obviously hideous in Morrissey's eyes. It has nothing to do with wobbling, really. Lest you forget - Morrissey has a sister who gave birth to two beautiful boys whom he probably looked after and cared for as if they were his own. I'm sure she was an adorable wobbler. As was my best friend who gave birth to my incredibly intelligent and handsome Godchildren (both vegetarians at birth)

People pick apart every last syllable and then get insulted because they generalize everything he says. It borders on being terribly tedious and ridiculous.

Last edited:
While I don't agree with foie gras, because it is incredibly cruel...it isn't any of Morrissey's f***ing business what any woman decides to eat during her pregnancy. Saturated fat is nourishing for the baby and his/her development, especially the brain and nervous system.

Since he doesn't have a clue about health and nutrition in ANY aspect, he ought to shut up. But of course, he won't, because he isn't getting any attention otherwise.

Anyone who would raise their baby as a vegetarian should be jailed. It goes completely against what the body needs, especially as a baby. Breast milk is mostly saturated fat and it gives a little one everything they could possibly need nutrient wise.

I know many of you will shit your pants reading that, but it's the truth. Tell the Masai otherwise, and every other tribe on the planet who eat meat, fat and dairy and are exceptionally healthy with no degenerative diseases known in the first world.

Some of the loveliest, most generous and moral people I know eat meat, and we often get into this recurring discussion (usually over a meal); it all comes down to the fact that plenty of moral, ethical, kind people at some point choose pleasure over compassion. It happens every day. That doesn't make fois gras an ethical product, and it doesn't make turning a blind eye exemplary. It all boils down to what you can live with, and how far your compassion extends.

A very well-stated point.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom