Statement by Morrissey in Hot Press on Queen's visit to Ireland

The Very Existence of the Queen Is Against Any Notion of Democracy - Hot Press

16 May 2011

This is just one of a number of compelling charges set down by Morrissey in an article written for Hot Press, to coincide with the Queen's visit to Ireland

The Queen's visit to Ireland is part of a new Palace PR campaign to re-invent the Windsors. The message from the Queen will be the same as ever: who we are born to is more important than what we achieve in life.

It should be remembered by the Irish people that as recently as the turn of the 1980s the Queen supported Margaret Thatcher by not dismissing Thatcher as she allowed hunger strikers to die at the Maze Prison, most famously Bobby Sands, who was 27 years old. As Sands starved to death in protest at being tagged a 'criminal' and not a 'political prisoner' by the Thatcher government, the Queen sat in her Palace and said nothing. If the Queen had any human feelings for the Sands family or other hunger strikers then she did not express them.

The full meaning of the Monarchy is, like the Queen herself, a complete mystery to most people. It is protected from any investigations by ridiculous stories of trivia and wedding dresses and on-again-off-again soap-drama romances. The most revealing statement came from Commander Christine Jones of the Metropolitan Police last month, when she warned that any British people carrying anti-royal placards who are "seen in the vicinity of the royal wedding would be removed under the Public Order Act." This means that any political dissent in England is silenced in order to protect the royals, which in itself goes against every principle of democracy.

The very existence of the Queen and her now enormous family – all supported by the British taxpayer whether the British taxpayer likes it or not – is entirely against any notion of democracy, and is against freedom of speech. For a broad historical view of what the Queen is and how she "rules", examine Gaddafi or Mubarak, and see if you can spot any difference.

You won't be able to.

The Queen also has the power to give back the six counties to the Irish people, allowing Ireland to be a nation once again. The fact that she has not done so is Fascism in full flow. What else could it be? Name one other European country that is controlled by its neighbour?

MORRISSEY

May 2011

Uncleskinny also sends the link:

Morrissey says the Queen should give six counties back to Ireland - Hot Press

Excerpt:

With the visit of Queen Elizabeth to Ireland due to begin tomorrow, Tuesday May 17, the Lancashire born singer, songwriter and performer Steven Patrick Morrissey has written an article for Hot Press, which challenges in trenchant terms the appropriateness of welcoming the British monarch to Ireland.

...The full article appears in the issue of Hot Press which hits the streets this Thursday, May 19.

7901892_3510-coverrough.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you wear a balaclava when you typed that? Turn it around next time and you might make more sense.

The Queen has no real political power and is a constitutional Monarch. Sorry if that seems to be a difficult concept for some of you, Morrissey included, to grasp. Until you can come to some simple level of understanding of that very simple idea I suggest you refrain from discussing it. I'm surprised our Swedish friend is struggling because Sweden is one too, but hey-ho.

The Queen has the theoretical power to dismiss a Prime Minister and to refuse to sign a law. From memory the last time a Monarch of this nation refused to approve a law or part thereof was Queen Victoria. The reason homosexuality between men in the UK was illegal for so long but between women was not, was because Victoria refused to believe lesbians, like unicorns, existed. Victoria, or as we all call her around here Her Majesty Victoria, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India, died in 1901.

Such interference has not, and would not, happen in today's parlimentary democracy. Morrissey can bleat and moan about dismissing Thatcher over the hunger srikes, but he knows, as do most of us still capable of independent thought here, that his poorly constructed diatribe is fed not by a desire for justice - I can't recall him discussing Bobby Sands before - but by his increasing desperation to stay in the media glare. How the mighty have fallen. And he has the brassneck to call this place so low? It's pathetic.

Having said that I am rather enjoying being given lessons on democracy from the land of the hanging chad. Please continue. Of course theoretically the President of the United States, as Commander-In-Chief, could send in the military to arrest the members of Congress and the Senate, but like our dear old Liz, it's a bit unlikely isn't it?

No, I didn't have a balaclava on, it was a beret!! The IRA with the support of right thinking people were able to defend the 6 counties against the brutality of the Brits.We remain undefeated and will continue until we have a 32 county united Ireland, we will never stop. So get your nose out of your one sided and limited history book and GET REAL.
Tiocfaidh ar la!!!

United Ireland, Get Real yourself, most of your so-called countrymen want nothing more than history to remain just that, History.

Political prisoners that killed, maimed and injured inoccents for the sake of historical events, how far back in history should these events be relevent.

There has been unneccacery murder on BOTH SIDES for thousands of years, Make the change like Jerry and embrace unity through future actions and leave the past to the sad memories for BOTH SIDES of the argument.

One jaded singer whom i've followed since the early 80's should know better than to provoke more hatred from the fence in the vain attempt to self promote.

Meat is Murder, however it is commited and lives are not ours to take.

We remain undefeated QUOTE]

You silly, silly person.

When there are no winners how can there be people to be defeated?

Do you think the British walk around high-fiving each other because of Northern Ireland? It's been a sorry situation for many, many years. Everyone wants out, you idiot.

Why are the British still there? SO MANY WITHIN NORTHERN IRLAND WANT IT TO REMAIN BRITISH.

Even DUBLIN wants it to remain British!!!

What you don't understand is that you will never achieve anything through bombs and fighting. Look at Israel, you dullard.

Political discussions are the only way forward.

Mo Mowlam knew this.
Gerry Adams knows this.
The British know this.
Most of the Irish know this.

The people who killed that catholic policeman helped nothing. Your laughable internet posts help nothing.

Talk about people "getting real".

I didn't know Croke Park was on her itinerary. An apology wouldn't go amiss... is that where Tesco Mary is singing for her?

I didn't know Croke Park was on her itinerary. An apology wouldn't go amiss... is that where Tesco Mary is singing for her?

You are so ignorant , it amazes me !! I support the peace process , Sinn Fein are working hard to unite our country which the brits have wrongly and brutally tried to control.Not once did I mention bombs or guns, that was a campaign of the past one which me ,my family and comrades are proud to have been part of! We are in a different era now and as the saying goes- there is more than one way to skin a cat!!!!!!

An Apology from both parties for the atrocities of the past would amount to nothing, Extremists will always provoke unrest.

The Queen's visit is at the request of Mary McAleese, the Queen has chosen to honour the deaths of Free Ireland campaigners.

Should we expect Gerry Adams to remember all those who died on the other side of the coin??

If you support the Peace Process as you state, then you and your camrades need to get over the brit hatred that comes across in your posts.

tiocfaidh bhúr lá but not at the expense of others.

You're rather desperate as well, for hanging on M's every word..commentary after commentary...you must be here all day every day. If M's such a loser to you..why bother coming here? Perhaps take you're own stfu advice.

Stop fellating him for two minutes and you might form an opinion of your own.

The Queen has the theoretical power to dismiss a Prime Minister and to refuse to sign a law. From memory the last time a Monarch of this nation refused to approve a law or part thereof was Queen Victoria. The reason homosexuality between men in the UK was illegal for so long but between women was not, was because Victoria refused to believe lesbians, like unicorns, existed. Victoria, or as we all call her around here Her Majesty Victoria, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India, died in 1901.

You may be right about the last time a monarch refused to approve a law, but unfortunately you're wrong about the lesbian issue. It's a myth I'm afraid, a very funny one at which many people have had a laugh at Queen Victoria's expense, but her law against homosexuality was meant to cover all same sex relationships; she knew very well that lesbians existed.

Unlike many on here I won't pretend to be an expert in UK politics or the monarchy, but I would like to stick up for Morrissey's knowledge on the subject and say that a cursory glance on directgov.co.uk revealed that "In international affairs, the Queen (as head of state) has the power to declare war and make peace, to recognise foreign states, to conclude treaties and to take over or give up territory." So actually, he's right, she can decide to give Northern Ireland back to the Irish. There'd be uproar and she'd never do it, but theoretically she could.

Yes, Morrissey was a bit naive to say name one other country controlled by it's neighbour, seeing as we have Scotland and Wales, but some posters on here should also check their facts, e.g. Palestine is not controlled by Israel, they each have their own goverments. Catalonia, Basque and other separatist areas of France and Spain, despite having their own flags and other concessions to independence, are not countries, they're regions.

We have slowly given separate parliamentary powers to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, with the advent of the Assemblies, but I can see Morrissey's point. Ireland is a separate territory, across a body of water, long in dispute and it seems positively bizarre to ordinary people that Ireland should not be one country. Really, given that this is the first visit of our monarchy since 1911 it also seems Queenie had forgotten the place existed.

However, I also concede that, like the dispute to come over independence in Scotland, there are Northern Irish people who don't wish to be part of Ireland. I suppose in this circumstance and given the Queen's visit reminding the Northern Irish people that they're still ruled over by us Brits, it would be sensible to call a referendum on the subject. Unlike the last referendum it shouldn't simply be on the symbolic unification of Ireland, it needs to be on unification and independence.

Having read the comments on here it does seem that many of you are just hell bent on slagging Morrissey off for his opinions. But he's entitled to those just as much as you are, and in a way (despite some innacuracies) he is right - we are not a true democracy until we get rid of the monarchy, or at least reduce their powers to zero; the laws passed by parliament still have to be approved by the Queen.

Neverthelss, I think the debate on here is a sad indictment of what we've become in our bland, celebrity obsessed culture. Twenty years ago Morrissey sold magazines and papers on the very fact that he was outspoken, controversial and his prose and pronouncements were a joy to read. I think they still are. Now it seems many music fans have been brainwashed by the Simon Cowell's of this world to believe that pop stars should simply pout, perform and pipe down. What a bland little world we've become.

Whether you agree with Morrissey or not on the monarchy, or the Irish issue, his piece does contain one truth. The existence of the monarchy says to everyone who remains a subject, that it doesn't matter what you achieve, birthright is everything. A message I think we can see very well in our own government with Dave, Nick and Gideon and their nice little inheritances, that bought them the power to deprive most ordinary people of two coppers to rub together. I for one can't stand the idea that we should all pay due deference to the monarchy as they pass, or that we ought to sit back and take the idea that we can't have a say in how our country is run, or that politicians can decide to spend £25million of our taxes on a royal wedding, or a state visit. Why don't we say to royalists that, if you want these things, you pay for them and anyone who couldn't care less can abstain and their share of the money can go towards a big anti-monarchy party. But, as Morrissey pointed out, the goverment and the police passed an extension to anti-terrorism laws to prevent dissent; so whilst we drop bombs on Libya to protect protestors, we take the same right to protest from our own citizens.

No, we're not a democracy at all, not at all.

I find it “increasingly” difficult to comprehend why, why you come on a Morrissey site with the exclusive purpose of ruining Morrissey’s good name. You and the vast majority of the other anti Morrissey “fans”. I mean sitting ducks. Because that’s what it is that you are. You are sitting ducks just biding your time. Every day you come here in anticipation of seizing any opportunity to bulldozer Morrissey into the ground. And let me tell you something … you should not talk about nothing at all. It is ironic -- the hate mail that is spewed on these boards, every day, sent to Morrissey. The irony is too transparent. Therefore you have to be plants. And the NME that is still carrying on with their personal vendetta against Morrissey, along with them being obsessed with Morrissey. They are the ones who obviously sent you. The NME..
You are not in any position to throw rocks at anybody, especially Morrissey, because of your dwindling sales isn’t it. That was not Morrissey’s fault.

Now, I’m telling you right now. Leave Morrissey alone. Better still, leave the earth., you NME martians, aliens, jacked up low lives and poor sales, no sales, Haaa.
Losers

P.S. Don’t worry or obsess about Morrissey watching Oprah anymore. Oprah is leaving in a few days. Follow her lead.
Hint, Hint

CL

"Leave Morrissey alone!" Ladies and gentlemen, we have our own Chris Crocker! "Leave Britney alone!"

If Morrissey told you to jump off a cliff I have no doubt you would do so, pausing only to thank him for asking. I've put money in that man's pocket for almost thirty years. If he can give his opinion then I'm damn sure I can give mine.

As Elvis died when he went into the Army, Morrissey died when he broke, chipped might be a better word, America and gathered unto him a small, by no means all, before you get all upset, vociferous section of shit thick, know nothing, "who are the Smiths?", cretins.

The real tragedy of all this for Morrissey is not "the Statement", but just how little impact it has made in the press. The boy who cried wolf cried one time too many. Hopefully now he will get on with doing what we expect and want from him, like singing and releasing albums.

No greater word than the those rightly spoken by JB.

Hopefully his voice will be better portrayed through song rather than this media hype.

As for so-called Morrissy fans: The story is old - I KNOW, But it goes on.

Reason you lot are so sad about this is because the man is not what you made him up to be at all. I was right all these years and am glad that an official statement from the big man confirms what I always knew.
Time to piss off and listen to Take That now for you lot while the Moz-elite that were there from the start can celebrate this great statement from the man. Read today that the IRA had placed a bomb that had been found and it is so great that the old days are back again. Now I just wish that the proper football hooligans could return and maybe wreck the Champions League Final at wembley on May 28 to show who is really in charge.
Maybe a united attack from the IRA and ETA is expected now?
GORA ETA MILITA!!!!

Urban from Sweden

ps. sorry about the previous bad english in posts but I have not been able to travel over since England is no more and Pakistan is a base for Al Qaida so it's not a place I prefer to visit. The english all got Halal slaughtered !!!

troll post

Nazi nail bomber in London we miss you!
Please come back and make us laugh again.
Moz does not eat meat but he eats cock....
His mum is a member of Sinn Fein!
Wish I had a mum like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the 'six counties' and am proud to be part of the United Kingdom. Does Morrissey really think that by just giving Ulster over to Eire that will be the end of it all?? Does he not think the protestant/Unionist majority would not revolt against his beloved Republic? A lazy outdated arguement from Moz. If He lived in Northern Ireland he would realise how difficult uniting Ireland would be,but he doesn't...he lives in a fantasy bubble in his hotel room shouting his mouth off about very little he understands. Just because he has Irish Republican beliefs it doesnt mean Ulster should be handed over to Eire. If it was ever put to the vote the Unionist majority would vote to stay part of Britian. Is this all Morrissey has these days moaning about the royal family etc...

A Man in his 50s with the political arguements of a 12 year old..I mean...comparing the Queen to Gaddafi and Mubarak???? FFS How many people are been slaughtered in UK towns like Libya???? Err thats right...None. f*** off Moz you cock. Why do you continue make a dick of yourself in public like this? As for harping on about the murderers and terrorists who decided to kill themselves on hunger strike in the Maize over 30 years ago I thought you had learnt to 'Block Out The Present And The Past Now'....Obviously not.

ps. sorry about the previous bad english in posts but I have not been able to travel over since England is no more and Pakistan is a base for Al Qaida so it's not a place I prefer to visit. The english all got Halal slaughtered !!!

Don't be so hard on yourself, you can't help being such a racist prick, your swedish i presume.

Moz-elite, what a silly little twat you sound, maybe you should heed your own advice and piss off with Take That.

Still being swedish your used sharing your loyallties, look at every war throughout history.

Thanks very much Morrissey, you have just insulted thousands of your fans who live in Northern Ireland and worship you by saying our country should be 'Given away' We are proud to be British and were proud to be Moz fans...We all knew your political persusasion and it never bothered us,nor should it... All this from the Man who thought it fine to go and play Israel and take the cash,never mind what goes on with their neighbors!...Perhaps his mate Gadaffi will offer him some dates over there too?

Our Man is clutching at straws here playing the old Royal card YET again...Move on old Son,Grow up and zip it up...Leave it for singing

Leaving aside the fact that Morrissey sneezed and a proportion of the hard of thinking on here suddenly caught Irish nationalism, I'm watching the Madge & Mary show live on the Beeb. It's all going rather well. Queenie looks interested, which is unusual when there aren't geegees around, and the Irish military are quite magnificent.

There seems to be a small demo in the streets somewhere, but some people will always prefer to live in the past, when the conflict was at its height, people were being killed, and they were having hit records. For example.

I saw an opinion poll which said 81% of Irish people questioned welcomed the visit. That seems a pretty conclusive figure to me. Of course, we know without doubt if Morrissey had said how good the visit was for forging relations between the two countries so would the ones saying the opposite on this forum today.

The quality of intellect of Morrissey fans really is at an historic low. No wonder the poor sod has to get down in the gutter to reach the new breed from across the seas.

Is that the same Ireland which gave succour to Hitler during the war? Is it that one? Eire? The only nation ON THE PLANET to send condolences to the German people after the death of the Fuhrer? Is it that one? Is it those cheeky little fascist enabling leprechauns? Bless 'em.

Brits are such obnoxious people, that when they stand against the worst dictator of the world, people might actually side with the dictator.
True story.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom