Star Wars thread

S

Skylarker

I just got back a couple of hours ago from seeing The Force Awakens.

I thought overall it was good. I didn't love it but I did enjoy it.

I did not like the scenes in and around Moz's (?)(LOL) palace when Han is trying to get BB8 returned to The Resistance; it was too meandering and unfocused. However, it picked up fairly quickly again so no big gripe.

I did not like Kylo Ren sans mask. With the mask he was awesome; without he was a little bitch emo millenial c***.

I also felt like the plot was for the most part a retread of Episode 4; or perhaps an inverse retread.

No complaints that I can think of besides that. The stormtroopers were bad ass motherf***ers. The movie was very dark, thematically, but with enough levity to save it from being a Christopher Nolan film. And it contained some really beautiful shots. I liked the two leads (I was not expecting to) and for the most part the CGI was used tastefully (with a few exceptions, like the Moz character, and Snoke's scenes, which felt like a cut scene from an XBox 360 game) and not as a plot supplement.

I think the next one is going to be absolutely amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back a couple of hours ago from seeing The Force Awakens.

I thought overall it was good. I didn't love it but I did enjoy it.

I did not like the scenes in and around Moz's (?)(LOL) palace when Han is trying to get BB8 returned to The Resistance; it was too meandering and unfocused. However, it picked up fairly quickly again so no big gripe.

I did not like Kylo Ren sans mask. With the mask he was awesome; without he was a little bitch emo millenial c***.

I also felt like the plot was for the most part a retread of Episode 4; or perhaps an inverse retread.

No complaints that I can think of besides that. The stormtroopers were bad ass motherf***ers. The movie was very dark, thematically, but with enough levity to save it from being a Christopher Nolan film. And it contained some really beautiful shots. I liked the two leads (I was not expecting to) and for the most part the CGI was used tastefully (with a few exceptions, like the Moz character, and Snoke's scenes, which felt like a cut scene from an XBox 360 game) and not as a plot supplement.

I think the next one is going to be absolutely amazing.

Well said. I agree entirely. I found it a bit lacking in plot and character development and overall lackluster, but it is still good, but just not great. I too suspect the next movies will be better but I also realize, sadly, we are not going to get anything like the originals. The 80s are officially over. Your review is good. Please don't get mad at me for agreeing with you.

Peace, in the middle east.

Why is that bad guy 20ft tall if he is a hologram/projection? Didn't get it.

Well said. I agree entirely. I found it a bit lacking in plot and character development

Well, it's basically got as much plot as Episode 4. I mean if you watch that one in retrospect, it's probably the slowest moving of the first three, and the one with the least story. But it's still a great film and in context it sets things up for the REAL story, which is brought to the fore in Empire and Jedi. I suspect/hope that will be the case with the new trilogy as well.

we are not going to get anything like the originals.

Anybody who actually thinks that is even remotely possible to begin with is an idiot. And it's not because great movies aren't being made anymore (they are) it's because of context. Things are different now...it's a completely different world. Star Wars 4-6 aren't remembered with the reverence that they are because they are masterful executions of cinematic art (although that's arguable) but because of when they happened and the impact they had on people, and on culture.

The 80s are officially over.

I don't know how alive you were back then, but I certainly was and I don't miss them or think they were better.

Please don't get mad at me for agreeing with you. Peace, in the middle east.

If you say so.

Why is that bad guy 20ft tall if he is a hologram/projection? Didn't get it.

Well there are numerous instances in the earlier films of holograms not being actual size; sometimes smaller or larger.

Can't believe no-one else here thought about this after watching The Force Awakens....title idea for the next movie:

Episode VIII: Kill Uncle :)

I loved it. I like the way it's gone back to the style of the original trilogy; minimal CGI and use of puppets and actual actors instead. George Lucas lost his shit with the prequels big time. All the costume design and locations were brilliant as well and feels like a proper Star Wars film. Even if you weren't familiar with the franchise it would still stand alone as a great film. Good balance of fun, mystery and awesome escapism. The only thing is why does Kylo Ren actually wear a mask? He doesn't need it like Darth did, I'm just wondering if it's part of being a Sith, having to alter your physical appearance to actually look menacing.

It was great though to see the old cast, I got a little lump in my throat when they all appeared. It'll be interesting to see the next one, I hope it focuses on Rey and Luke, getting her trained, it'd be ace if they showed you how an actual lightsaber was built.

Yeah roll on May 2017!

A person I don't care about has an opinion I don't care about concerning a movie I don't care about. Next? I mean this could be a realitybites thread except she would let us know that in her opinion the force doesn't exist.

A person I don't care about has an opinion I don't care about concerning a movie I don't care about. Next? I mean this could be a realitybites thread except she would let us know that in her opinion the force doesn't exist.

Ha!! So true!

- - - Updated - - -

I loved it. I like the way it's gone back to the style of the original trilogy; minimal CGI and use of puppets and actual actors instead. George Lucas lost his shit with the prequels big time. All the costume design and locations were brilliant as well and feels like a proper Star Wars film. Even if you weren't familiar with the franchise it would still stand alone as a great film. Good balance of fun, mystery and awesome escapism. The only thing is why does Kylo Ren actually wear a mask? He doesn't need it like Darth did, I'm just wondering if it's part of being a Sith, having to alter your physical appearance to actually look menacing.

It was great though to see the old cast, I got a little lump in my throat when they all appeared. It'll be interesting to see the next one, I hope it focuses on Rey and Luke, getting her trained, it'd be ace if they showed you how an actual lightsaber was built.

Yeah roll on May 2017!

I think I might be in love with you.

Except somehow you waded through all your apathy to post a comment. And what was that comment? It was to make sure everyone knows that the topic you were commenting on holds no interest for you in any way.

retard-kid_o_157311.jpg

...Also, are you familiar with the concept of internet forums? Particularly, forums like Off Topic? No? OK, let me break it down for you. They are meant to gather up any interests the forum members may have in things not related to the main focus of the site. I'm pretty sure that a f***ing lobotomized hamster would have enough brains to know that there will be found, in said forum, any number of disparate topics which some members may have an interest in discussing and which others may not, and that if a member (or even an anonymous non-member like yourself who still -DESPITE how much you don't care- feels the need to chime in about) does not have an interest in a topic, he or she would have no sane reason to participate in it.

But go on anyway. I'm sure your opinion and presence is as valuable here as it is in real life...

The only thing is why does Kylo Ren actually wear a mask? He doesn't need it like Darth did, I'm just wondering if it's part of being a Sith, having to alter your physical appearance to actually look menacing.

If I looked like Adam Driver I'd wear a mask, too.

Honestly, there is no reason for it as far as I can tell, other than to accentuate how much of a butthurt little c*** he is, and to help him feel more menacing when he's throwing his temper tantrums.

Except somehow you waded through all your apathy to post a comment. And what was that comment? It was to make sure everyone knows that the topic you were commenting on holds no interest for you in any way.

retard-kid_o_157311.jpg

...Also, are you familiar with the concept of internet forums? Particularly, forums like Off Topic? No? OK, let me break it down for you. They are meant to gather up any interests the forum members may have in things not related to the main focus of the site. I'm pretty sure that a f***ing lobotomized hamster would have enough brains to know that there will be found, in said forum, any number of disparate topics which some members may have an interest in discussing and which others may not, and that if a member (or even an anonymous non-member like yourself who still -DESPITE how much you don't care- feels the need to chime in about) does not have an interest in a topic, he or she would have no sane reason to participate in it.

But go on anyway. I'm sure your opinion and presence here is as valuable as it is in real life...

If I looked like Adam Driver I'd wear a mask, too.

Honestly, there is no reason for it as far as I can tell, other than to accentuate how much of a butthurt little c*** he is, and to help him feel more menacing when he's throwing his temper tantrums.

Haha, I must admit I didn't expect him to look so foppy when he took that badass mask off. I was expected a right hard looking c*** underneath. Anyway I think I'm gonna go for a second viewing the day after Xmas.

I found this great video called went wrong with Episode 1. Basically it showed you how much George lost his marbles when he did the prequels to the point where his co-workers on set looked worried about how much money he was spunking up the wall. And I think he picked the wrong kid for Anakin.

The only thing is why does Kylo Ren actually wear a mask? He doesn't need it like Darth did, I'm just wondering if it's part of being a Sith, having to alter your physical appearance to actually look menacing.

Because he's a poser...that's the point. He needs the mask for the menace. He's trying to be as legendary as his grandfather and he just doesn't measure up.

A great little acting moment from Driver was when General Hux entered the room while he was talking to Snoke maskless. He seemed embarrassed that he saw him without the mask on.

Because he's a poser...that's the point. He needs the mask for the menace. He's trying to be as legendary as his grandfather and he just doesn't measure up.

A great little acting moment from Driver was when General Hux entered the room while he was talking to Snoke maskless. He seemed embarrassed that he saw him without the mask on.

That's quite a clever logical answer to be fair. I'm looking forward to see what he looks like in the next one. We already know he'll have a huge scar on his face.

Back
Top Bottom