Spiked: "The fire in Morrissey" (December 31, 2022)

The fire in Morrissey now

Hi,being a dinosaur, I can't transfer a article from the Spiked website, if someone can help please. It's a good read.

Link added and additional note posted by BrummieBoy:

Michael Collins is a writer, journalist and broadcaster. He is the author of The Likes Of Us: A Biography of the White Working Class.

This essay was originally published in Arena HOMME+.

UPDATE Jan. 3:

Link posted on Morrissey Central:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you seriously comparing punks to black gang bangers?

I know this is unlikely to get past your obsessive hatred of black people - but, aye, youth cults & violent crime have always been associated in the public imagination.

b7890d2cf6c81bac316f3645981a884e.jpg

You can go on about "far-right racists"....but they aren't the ones ruining society. They aren't the ones that lit the torch all over America the other yr.
Yeah they only tried to overthrow the incoming US government in a violent coup instead. A benign bunch for sure.

Pretending that the violence & migration caused by the Reformation & the Industrial Revolution was minor & ignoring sectarianism & anti-Irish racism is lying.

I honestly can't believe your little band of far right racists are still going. Or did you actually go insane in 2011?
You have misunderstood what I meant by ´minor´. When I suggested Irish migration was ´minor´I was referring to numbers only. Of course it wasn´t minor in terms of social impact. The social impact was enormous. But I think once again Karen you are kind of arguing against your own argument. Irish migration to Britain over the past century and a half has probably been no more than about a million - with particular high points in the 1840s and then the 1930s and 1950s. If that has had a huge impact, how much more somewhere in the region of 10 million migrants in just a few decades. The impact of that is another level.

I know this is unlikely to get past your obsessive hatred of black people - but, aye, youth cults & violent crime have always been associated in the public imagination.

View attachment 87518

Then you haven't got a clue. I'm not saying there wasn't violence....but it was mainly self-contained at gigs...random by-standers weren't being blown away with Uzi's. Punks were also mainly on the end of the violence by other youth sub-cults, particularly the Teds in London.

You have misunderstood what I meant by ´minor´. When I suggested Irish migration was ´minor´I was referring to numbers only. Of course it wasn´t minor in terms of social impact. The social impact was enormous. But I think once again Karen you are kind of arguing against your own argument. Irish migration to Britain over the past century and a half has probably been no more than about a million - with particular high points in the 1840s and then the 1930s and 1950s. If that has had a huge impact, how much more somewhere in the region of 10 million migrants in just a few decades. The impact of that is another level.

The social impact came from bigots kicking up a fuss - now bigots are using the Irish as an example of 'shared culture' - so the new migrants will also settle in & get used by the future tiny rump of bigots. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Amongst a million other reasons...the changing nature of the record industry, the domination of rap/hip hop/J-Pop/programmed pop.....I don't think those great bands will ever appear again and one of those reasons is mass immigration. The likes of The Clash, Madness, The Sex Pistols, The Who ect will never emerge from London because of it. I was also a big Stone Roses fan when they emerged and saw them at Ally Pally.
I've read some f***ing codswallop in my time but this takes the biscuit. All those bands you mentioned were strongly influenced by culture and music beyond the UK. 0lenty of great bands about now btw, even skinny white lads with guitars.

The Clash would never have existed without mass immigration from the Windrush generation and the musical influences they brought.
The Windrush generation was well before the era of mass immigration. We´re talking thousands, not millions. And I agree, some great symbiosis of culture. And not least the Irish connection yet again. It is no accident that Shaun or Sean is a common boy´s name in Barbados.
It was not until the Blair government of the 1980s that mass immigration started. There really is no culture left now. Just TikTok. And mass advertising and KFC.

I've read some f***ing codswallop in my time but this takes the biscuit. All those bands you mentioned were strongly influenced by culture and music beyond the UK. 0lenty of great bands about now btw, even skinny white lads with guitars.
There's a few bands about....none of whom will ever gain the mythical status of the bands I mentioned. Rock music will die eventually.

Exactly . Shit on the working class.
Thanks for the reply, NC. Lover-to-be comes from the LIHS era, when all lyrics seem doomed to drown out the personal message, blindsided by fumes from ominous lethal world politics. Which is where we feared we'd be with this news item too, except the extra breathing space in the text, and apparent absence of ulterior motive, bodes well : )

Last edited:
But rock is white....admit it. You know you want to.

"The white blues collectors are not just evil appropriators. They are also people who rescue this culture from oblivion. So there's work that they are doing and should be acknowledged for, but what rights does that give them to this work? These are complicated questions. There's an obsession with controlling things and owning things, and the boundaries—what's appropriation and what's love and what's fandom?—are gray areas, really. There's a difference between loving something and feeling you can own it and control it and define how it's seen."

Still doesn't equate to all the deaths and businesses torched and destroyed all over the country. Doesn't come close.
If you mean all the riots and destruction from the Black Lives Matter riots, it's just too inconvenient for people to try to understand that, it does not fit with their narrative of 'racist Americans' and 'police kill innocent unarmed black men' or 'George Floyd was suffocated by police' or 'Michael Brown said hands up don't shoot' etc.

There's a few bands about....none of whom will ever gain the mythical status of the bands I mentioned. Rock music will die eventually.
Yet again you're taking a cultural change (rock music is dying out) and allowing your prejudice to extrapolate from that that immigrants are to blame for this. Has it not occurred to you that rock is dying because it's done? It's over, finito. In essence, the art form has been wrung dry and humans are moving on. This happens to ALL periods of art. It's the very reason rock took over from jazz in the first place. Rock music as a (the?) leading art form lasted more than 50 years. It had a good run.

But yeah, sure. Immigrants ruined it...

Yet again you're taking a cultural change (rock music is dying out) and allowing your prejudice to extrapolate from that that immigrants are to blame for this. Has it not occurred to you that rock is dying because it's done? It's over, finito. In essence, the art form has been wrung dry and humans are moving on. This happens to ALL periods of art. It's the very reason rock took over from jazz in the first place. Rock music as a (the?) leading art form lasted more than 50 years. It had a good run.

But yeah, sure. Immigrants ruined it...

I never said it was the only reason...it's one of them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom