Spiked: "The fire in Morrissey" (December 31, 2022)

The fire in Morrissey now

Hi,being a dinosaur, I can't transfer a article from the Spiked website, if someone can help please. It's a good read.

Link added and additional note posted by BrummieBoy:

Michael Collins is a writer, journalist and broadcaster. He is the author of The Likes Of Us: A Biography of the White Working Class.

This essay was originally published in Arena HOMME+.

UPDATE Jan. 3:

Link posted on Morrissey Central:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cromwell & the British monarchy are villains in Irish history.

You're not subtle Gash.

(Edit - I hate Cromwell so much I can't spell his name. :mad:)
Sort it out, Karen. I´m relying on you to teach me Irish history. :rolleyes:

There are a couple of good documentaries by him too. Well worth a watch.

Thanks: just watched that. It was now a long time ago, but it did remind me why artists such as The Stone Roses and Morrissey seemed so vital for me, over 30 years ago.

I’m not sure whether to lament or celebrate the sense that the igniting issues—shared here—seem evergreen.

I'd sure you'd manage to lie about history no matter how I spelled Cromwell.
History is a debate about the past. Politics is a debate about the present - and the future. No one - and no side, left or right - has a monopoly on the truth.

Thanks: just watched that. It was now a long time ago, but it did remind me why artists such as The Stone Roses and Morrissey seemed so vital for me, over 30 years ago.

I’m not sure whether to lament or celebrate the sense that the igniting issues—shared here—seem evergreen.
The big question is whether the demonisation and destruction has all been accidental - or planned and premeditated. Morrissey has been talking about this subject for decades, even back in 1987 on The South Bank Show documentary - starting at 22´30´´ in:

There are verifiable facts - which you have a habit of lying about.
I generally try to be honest in my interactions with others. So if you can point out where I have lied in this or any other thread I would be appreciative, Karen. Happy New Year.

Amongst a million other reasons...the changing nature of the record industry, the domination of rap/hip hop/J-Pop/programmed pop.....I don't think those great bands will ever appear again and one of those reasons is mass immigration. The likes of The Clash, Madness, The Sex Pistols, The Who ect will never emerge from London because of it. I was also a big Stone Roses fan when they emerged and saw them at Ally Pally.

Last edited:
I generally try to be honest in my interactions with others. So if you can point out where I have lied in this or any other thread I would be appreciative, Karen. Happy New Year.

Pretending that the violence & migration caused by the Reformation & the Industrial Revolution was minor & ignoring sectarianism & anti-Irish racism is lying.

I honestly can't believe your little band of far right racists are still going. Or did you actually go insane in 2011?

Amongst a million other reasons...the changing nature of the record industry, the domination of rap/hip hop/J-Pop/programmed pop.....I don't think those great bands will ever appear again and one of those reasons is mass immigration. The likes of The Clash, Madness, The Sex Pistols, The Who ect will never emerge from London because of it. I was also a big Stone Roses fan when they emerged and saw them at Ally Palace.
The Clash would never have existed without mass immigration from the Windrush generation and the musical influences they brought.

Sure, they loved reggae but it was just a part of their sound, like punk, rockabilly

Punk & rockabilly come from America & wouldn't have evolved without the Blues, created by Black musicians.

London having a distinctive sound doesn't mean London has to be homogenous - it just means musicians living & working in London enough to have a style. Whereas what happens now is that the big producers dole out generic songs to any singer on the planet with maybe a bit of bagpipes or whatever is associated with the singer's country bolted on.

The Clash would never have existed without mass immigration from the Windrush generation and the musical influences they brought.
You know what he meant. The endgame has been violent, misogynistic and illiterate drill/grime rap headlining Glastonbury in a stab proof vest.

Punk & rockabilly come from America & wouldn't have evolved without the Blues, created by Black musicians.

London having a distinctive sound doesn't mean London has to be homogenous - it just means musicians living & working in London enough to have a style. Whereas what happens now is that the big producers dole out generic songs to any singer on the planet with maybe a bit of bagpipes or whatever is associated with the singer's country bolted on.

Rock music may have it's foundations in black music but it's it's own beast....and it's history is white.

Pretending that the violence & migration caused by the Reformation & the Industrial Revolution was minor & ignoring sectarianism & anti-Irish racism is lying.

I honestly can't believe your little band of far right racists are still going. Or did you actually go insane in 2011?

You can go on about "far-right racists"....but they aren't the ones ruining society. They aren't the ones that lit the torch all over America the other yr.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom