"Spent The Day In Bed" - new single debuts on BBC Radio 2 / The Chris Evans Show (Sep. 19)

Maybe if the keyboards were replaced by a certain Fender Jaguar. And the lyrics replaced with words that say something to me about my life.

Maybe if the keyboards were replaced by a certain Fender Jaguar. And the lyrics replaced with words that say something to me about my life.

You're asking a lot, are you aware of that?
But I hope you can find something that says something to you about your life.
Hope you get what you want, but I doubt it will happen here.
But never mind, it can happen. :thumb:

Yikes, I guess the verdict by the public, as opposed to the paid for media, is not good. A 2.1.
Very alarming development.:ahhh: Ominous.:ha-no:

It's a 2.61 based on twenty eight reviews. It's got around eighty something thousand views on YouTube in one day and has over three hundred comments almost all of them positive

I think that after much effort, I have been able to decipher the meaning of the lyrics. Moz is rich from the monies provided him by the Bots, so he can stay in his luxurious hotel bed indefinitely. How does it applies to the rest of us, that is the issue at hand, and I think I got it.
Moz means for all of us to roll a cot into the middle of the street with a tin cup attached to the side. Big sign atop the bed with : To scared about everything and need food. We lay in the cot with a feminist book while we await the tinkling of the coins hitting the inside of the cup. Hope the cops don't drive by and beat on us.

Blue Rose Society dude, always flakey, has concluded the song is about the Illuminati. Only problem, there are no such thing as Illuminati, just like there is no such thing as Martians. I so much more prefer my interpretation.:thumb:

You're asking a lot, are you aware of that?
But I hope you can find something that says something to you about your life.
Hope you get what you want, but I doubt it will happen here.
But never mind, it can happen. :thumb:

Not asking, friend, just lamenting. Morrissey is mine, and he owes me a living. Or at least better songs. I mean, for god's sake...this is what we get? The man forces me to live in the past.

It's a 2.61 based on twenty eight reviews. It's got around eighty something thousand views on YouTube in one day and has over three hundred comments almost all of them positive

Dude, wake up, Youtube comments are by Record Company paid touts. Dont act like you were born yesterday.:highfive:

Put it in the context of other lead singles - it's the equal of those coming from weak albums, if we're being charitable.

Suedehead's nearly 30 years old and still sends me to another place whenever I hear it. If I didn't experience this new track beyond next weekend I don't feel like I'd be missing out.

It's getting a bit wearing trying to be enthusiastic about him putting out a song that's just OK. His voice is great on it, the music's decent and fairly interesting, but the lyrics are abysmal, and it adds up to not a great deal. He used to get slated in The Smiths for veering into sixth-form poetry mode, but that's seemingly all he has now.

Changing up the backing track doesn't mean he's singing a new song. It's basically a companion piece to any number of tracks since ROTT, and that chorus just sounds like lyrics a randomiser cross-reffed with a rhyming dictionary might throw out.

I didn't mind his last album, but I'm far from excited about the new one.

Not asking, friend, just lamenting. Morrissey is mine, and he owes me a living. Or at least better songs. I mean, for god's sake...this is what we get? The man forces me to live in the past.

But gee, how is that possible?
And do you think he does it on purpose? How can someone have that much power to do exactly that?
You and also other fans make it sound to me like he was and still is like a godlike, genius figure. Genius okay. :)

But he is just person too, a human being, not only a multi millionaire living the luxury life. He has flaws. Everybody does.
He makes mistakes, he is not perfect.

Maybe he can be partly, only partly, responsible for the ultimate high expectations many of his fans had by making that great music.
Expectations that went skyhigh and sheer impossible to fulfill.
Cheerio mate :thumb:
Oh by the way, as you might have guessed, I love that song!

Had several listens now - I guess I'd give it 3/5 stars. It's kind of fun, funky and catchy. I think the main flaw I see is that it does not really get you excited for what's to come. The first time I heard Istanbul - I thought Morrissey is BACK - and could not wait to hear the album. I'm not getting that this time around.

Last edited:
Blue Rose Society dude, always flakey, has concluded the song is about the Illuminati. Only problem, there are no such thing as Illuminati, just like there is no such thing as Martians. I so much more prefer my interpretation.:thumb:

doesn't Mike Joyce run that thing ?

doesn't Mike Joyce run that thing ?

Run? Isn't that a too big word for it? :)
Not doubting his "talent" for it but come on who takes that thing serious?
I thought uncleskinny did a good job by exposing the fruitcake scenario and challenging that guy, was it Wratten?
There are too many of those types. :(

At first sight, perky music and ditty registered on an album defined as «capturing the zeitgeist of an ever-changing world». Marketing catchphrase expressed in more "evolved" terms that those of this song. And yet, same writer, certainly. Who is better able to define his own record than the artist himself ?

I say to myself : be not lazy with the listening. Re-listen. The simplistic words turn out to be the praise of laziness and the praise of escape, to preserve oneself against logics of social domination and sociocultural conformism. To free itself from the métro-boulot-dodo (subway-job-sleep), from the medias, from any activity. To grant you time to re-find yourself, to observe, feel, to let yourself go to your emotions. I is another I. Revivified in the constructive escape. Stay in bed, s’espatarrer (wallow ?) into the sofa, lie down on the grass, each to their own.

Everything is in the song written with laziness.

I drew the sense which I wanted in this song which is not perhaps that one. But I don’t care, as a listener, I bring up the songs as I want.

Yes, of course, I do not remain on this first song which cannot represent the whole album. But at the moment, I am going to be brutal to formulate my personal opinion: I also expected nice metaphors on behalf of a poet designated as a “lyric genius”. Am I too demanding? In 2018, I also wait for the new album of HFT. Even requirement expected, especially after more than 30 years of career and sensational poetry. Idem for Mr. Morrissey.

Why this song was selected to launch the album near the media?

De prime abord, musique guillerette et chansonnette inscrite sur un album défini comme « capturant le zeitgeist de ce monde en constante évolution ». Accroche marketing exprimée en des termes plus "évolués" que ceux de cette chanson. Et pourtant même écrivain, certainement. Qui est mieux à même de définir son disque que l’artiste lui-même ?

Je me dis : ne pas être paresseuse à l’écoute. Réécouter. Les paroles simplistes s’avèrent être l’éloge de la paresse et l’éloge de la fuite, pour se préserver contre les logiques de domination sociale et le conformisme socio-culturel. S’affranchir du métro-boulot-dodo, des médias, de toute activité. S’octroyer du temps pour se retrouver, observer, ressentir, se laisser aller à ses émotions. Je est un autre je. Revivifié dans la fuite constructive. Rester au lit, s’espatarer dans son canapé, s’allonger dans l’herbe, chacun son truc.

Tout est dans la chanson écrite avec paresse.

J’ai tiré le sens que je voulais à cette chanson qui n’est peut-être pas celui-là. Mais je m’en fous, en tant qu’auditrice, je dispose comme je veux des chansons.

Mais oui, bien sûr, je ne reste pas sur cette première chanson qui ne peut pas représenter l’album à elle toute seule. Mais pour l’instant, je vais être brutale pour formuler mon avis personnel : moi aussi j’attendais de belles métaphores de la part d’un poète désigné comme « génie lyrique ». Suis-je trop exigeante ? En 2018, j’attends aussi le nouvel album d’HFT. Même exigence attendue, surtout après plus de 30 ans de carrière et de poésie sensationnelle. Idem pour M. Morrissey.

Pourquoi cette chanson a-t-elle été choisie pour lancer l’album auprès des médias ?

I really love the song. I was surprised at the negative reviews here but then realized there all written by the same two OCD-stricken people.
KEXP has playing playing it a lot. We've got a hit boys!!

Had several listens now - I guess I'd give it 3/5 stars. It's kind of fun, funky and catchy. I think the main flaw I see is that it does not really get you excited for what's to come. The first time I heard Istanbul - I thought Morrissey is BACK - and could not wait to hear the album. I'm not getting that this time around.

I'd give it another half a star or more. I think it's a solid single, and a total ear worm that could do well on radio if it gets played. The reviews are generally strong. What I don't get is people who are tired of the "chug-rock" who are so offended that he tried something different. It sounds fresh, and surprising. Obvious comparisons to "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" because of the piano, and also a feeling as though "Oh Phoney" finally got reworked into a decent single. Though I will note that the chorus seems largely a rehash of the "Life is nothing left to lose" line from "Mama."

I think people forget how playful Moz can be... is there a huge difference between this and "Girlfriend in a Coma"? We could argue about that endlessly, but at the end of the day (in my opinion) the song ends too soon, and I want to hear it again, just like "Girlfriend...".

And, FWIW, I never liked "Istanbul." It sounded to me too much like "Jack the Ripper" run through a blender. But I know others really liked it. To each their own. But anyone calling this a travesty or a masterpiece are probably each equally guilty of hyperbole. It's a solid pop song, well-crafted. Like it or don't.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom