"Spent The Day In Bed" debuts at 69 in UK, nr 1 in vinyl charts

Morrissey performed new single "Spent The Day In Bed" on The Graham Norton Show last week which, along with the track's release on 7-inch single, help him to achieve his first singles chart entry since 2011, with the track debuting at No.69 (5,069 sales). It is his 39th solo hit, and his 57th in all, the remainder being as a member of The Smiths.

It is number 1 in the vinyl charts:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/vinyl-singles-chart/

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously have no idea how charts work these days. Nobody buys singles, everybody streams -- and in this competition old-timers like Morrissey have no chance, because their listeners wait for the album instead of streaming the single 50 times. Show me a veteran acts who has had a chart hit recently. The lead single from the forthcoming U2 album charted at #92, the Depeche Mode singles have failed to chart and so on. So yes, Spent The Day In Bed is not exactly a hit, but no sane person would expect it to be in this day and age. Morrissey might though.

That's why this discussion is so amusing. He's a nutter. Always was. He's a C List Heritage act who can only get attention as an ex-member of The Smiths, that's why he's been playing HSIN non-stop for the last decade. If he only played his solo material he'd face empty venues. Most people only go to see him to tick him of their list of 'supposedly iconic acts'. He is quite good as a Smiths Tribute Band but there's noting 'Solo' about him...he's riding on the glories of his time as part of that group.

U2 accept they are a heritage act, that's why they play Joshua Tree in it's entirety. DM are a real act who don't care about charts. Nor do their fans. Unlike Morrissey and his cultists loons here.

Definitely his most popular output in a long time,spent seemed to be everywhere at one point,radio tv ,shops,online,i even heard it in Tesco on a Saturday afternoon,thats down to the catchy nature of the song and the part played by bmg who in my opinion have done very well by getting M and the song out there.

It isn't popular. Nobody is listening to it even though it's available for free to stream on Spotify and YouTube. Those people in Tesco's who also heard it just thought 'meh!'.

https://spotifycharts.com/regional/gb/daily/latest

It didn't help that a) the vinyl release didn't come out till about 4 weeks after the digital version had been released and played to death everywhere, and b) it was released in very limited numbers, so retailers like Amazon either never had it, or sold out very quickly.

If it had come out on multiple formats with CD as well, and a couple of new studio B-sides, I'm sure it would have done even better. But I suspect these days, the record company don't really care about single chart places - they just see it as promotion for the album. Morrissey, on the other hand, cares a great deal, and will probably be firing off an angry 'my time is now, how could you let this flop'-style letter as we speak.

Exactly! That's why this discussion is so....fruitful!

One can only imagine the dressing room dramas as the record company try to explain they don't give a fcuk about getting Morrissey a #1 single and that it's 'mission impossible' anyway...unless he reforms The Smiths....LOL!

The main thing that pushed it into the chart was its availability as a a physical single (only released last week).

Indeed. And the main thing that will push the album into the charts is the crackpots on this site who will buy every version of it. Meanwhile the British Public will studiously ignore it. His target is 100,000 copies sold in a week. If Liam Gallagher can achieve that as Liam-Solo, there's no excuse for a supposed 'British Icon' like Morrissey to under-perform: unless THE RECORD COMPANY f***S UP AGAIN!!!!!.....*smirks*

Indeed. And the main thing that will push the album into the charts is the crackpots on this site who will buy every version of it. Meanwhile the British Public will studiously ignore it. His target is 100,000 copies sold in a week. If Liam Gallagher can achieve that as Liam-Solo, there's no excuse for a supposed 'British Icon' like Morrissey to under-perform: unless THE RECORD COMPANY f***S UP AGAIN!!!!!.....*smirks*

Hang on mate, I'm not the biggest fan of this site as it has its fair share of weirdos.

But you've made multiple posts in a row, which is sad, yet you're throwing around terms like "crackpots", when the only thing you can do is negative posts. I don't understand why you're here if you dislike Morrissey.

It's fine to express it once in a while, frankly anyone expecting across the board worship or Moz can get bent or educated. But when you're posting multiple triggered posts complaining and getting personal with people in a row... It might not be smart to bring mental health into the equation.

At least Benny-the-British-Butcher is a) occasionally very funny, and b) able to pick his moments without absolutely spamming topics.

Just my two cents, mate

Exactly! That's why this discussion is so....fruitful!

One can only imagine the dressing room dramas as the record company try to explain they don't give a fcuk about getting Morrissey a #1 single and that it's 'mission impossible' anyway...unless he reforms The Smiths....LOL!

Oh dear, does this really need to be explained again? There is no way that any band with a fan base predominantly of people aged over 25 can get anywhere near to a number 1 song now that streaming counts, so even if the Smiths reformed with their best ever single, it wouldn't make the top 20. The idea that they might have a number 1 song is totally delusional (especially if you heard the quality of the music on Marr's last solo album). Far from taking the record company to task about Spent the Day's performance, Morrissey appears to understand the way things are quite clearly (even joking about the single's chart fate in his recent German show).
Now, your assertion that because very few people bothered to stream Spent the Day this means they don't like it, and the album will do worse than World Peace. You might actually be right, here, You don't know and I don't know. But World Peace sold 18,000 in its first week in the UK - if Low in High School sells fewer, you'll have been proved right and your boycott campaign can be deemed a success. If it sells more, you will look like a bit of a tit. And I can't speak for others round here but I've never bought more that one copy of an album before in my life - I don't intend to start with LIHS.

Last edited:
Brighton [4500 capacity] & RAH [5270] are in line with Morrissey's status as a heritage Smiths Tribute Band act. That's why they've sold out whilst other larger arenas haven't, including Ally Pally.
His last arena tour wasn't a sell-out, nor was his 'homecoming' at Manchester Arena despite the wild claims by delusional 'fans' on this site who were 'allergic to facts'. They still are. Including you.

Liam-Solo sold out an entire arena tour in an hour.....take that 'fact' and stick it up your jumper.

Is that Liam Gallagher? If so, there's Lennon&McCartney, Morrissey, every other songwriter that's ever lived, then there's every other person that isn't a songwriter and then there's Liam Gallagher. :laughing:

Only joking! Maybe...

I don't understand this stuff anymore, the mp3 was given away to everyone who bought the album on line, so that's a big chunk of usual suspects, 2/3 weeks later a ltd single is released no cd single. So how can this be expected to mean anything?

Hang on mate, I'm not the biggest fan of this site as it has its fair share of weirdos.

But you've made multiple posts in a row, which is sad, yet you're throwing around terms like "crackpots", when the only thing you can do is negative posts. I don't understand why you're here if you dislike Morrissey.

It's fine to express it once in a while, frankly anyone expecting across the board worship or Moz can get bent or educated. But when you're posting multiple triggered posts complaining and getting personal with people in a row... It might not be smart to bring mental health into the equation.

At least Benny-the-British-Butcher is a) occasionally very funny, and b) able to pick his moments without absolutely spamming topics.

Just my two cents, mate

Take your two cents and shove them up your ass, mate.

I'm hardly 'spamming'. This thread would be another one full of ass-kissers.

Why do you think I care what your opinions are about this site? Or about me?

I'm here because I'm here & I'll Carry On without your homespun philosophies, thank you very much!

You are dismissed from my presence. Begone!

Brighton [4500 capacity] & RAH [5270] are in line with Morrissey's status as a heritage Smiths Tribute Band act. That's why they've sold out whilst other larger arenas haven't, including Ally Pally.
His last arena tour wasn't a sell-out, nor was his 'homecoming' at Manchester Arena despite the wild claims by delusional 'fans' on this site who were 'allergic to facts'. They still are. Including you.

Liam-Solo sold out an entire arena tour in an hour.....take that 'fact' and stick it up your jumper.

Steven your finished buddy and your comments in Seattle comparing the NY terrorist attack to the slaughter animals is sad. You will never convince the masses to cease consuming meat. Your personal appearance and medical history only encourage people to maintain a health diet of animal protein. I believe you have the early stage of alzheimer's and need a psychological assessment.

Oh dear, does this really need to be explained again? There is no way that any band with a fan base predominantly of people aged over 25 can get anywhere near to a number 1 song now that streaming counts, so even if the Smiths reformed with their best ever single, it wouldn't make the top 20. The idea that they might have a number 1 song is totally delusional (especially if you heard the quality of the music on Marr's last solo album). Far from taking the record company to task about Spent the Day's performance, Morrissey appears to understand the way things are quite clearly (even joking about the single's chart fate in his recent German show).
Now, your assertion that because very few people bothered to stream Spent the Day this means they don't like it, and the album will do worse than World Peace. You might actually be right, here, You don't know and I don't know. But World Peace sold 18,000 in its first week in the UK - if Low in High School sells fewer, you'll have been proved right and your boycott campaign can be deemed a success. If it sells more, you will look like a bit of a tit. And I can't speak for others round here but I've never bought more that one copy of an album before in my life - I don't intend to start with LIHS.

If it's redundant to discuss chart placings, why is this thread here?
If Morrissey agrees with your analysis, he's the tit and owes Harvest an apology for having a diva hissy fit.

Liam Gallagher-Solo sold 100,000 copies week 1. That is the benchmark/target and Morrissey knows it.
Let's see what he achieves.

Is that Liam Gallagher? If so, there's Lennon&McCartney, Morrissey, every other songwriter that's ever lived, then there's every other person that isn't a songwriter and then there's Liam Gallagher. :laughing:

Only joking! Maybe...

Liam Gallagher is making Morrissey look rather....C List....as you were....

Liam Gallagher’s As You Were tops 100,000 sales to score Number 1

Liam Gallagher is making Morrissey look rather....C List....as you were....

Liam Gallagher’s As You Were tops 100,000 sales to score Number 1

It must be a good album then right? Comparing Liam and Morrissey is like, I don't know, comparing Take That and The Beatles.

It must be a good album then right? Comparing Liam and Morrissey is like, I don't know, comparing Take That and The Beatles.

You can rest assured record companies don't give a damn so long as the £ Kerching thing happens...

OK, so not a high chart position ... so what? The song is getting more airplay than any Morrissey song in recent history.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom