"Spent The Day In Bed" debuts at 69 in UK, nr 1 in vinyl charts

Morrissey performed new single "Spent The Day In Bed" on The Graham Norton Show last week which, along with the track's release on 7-inch single, help him to achieve his first singles chart entry since 2011, with the track debuting at No.69 (5,069 sales). It is his 39th solo hit, and his 57th in all, the remainder being as a member of The Smiths.

It is number 1 in the vinyl charts:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/vinyl-singles-chart/

Last edited by a moderator:
My comment was all about radio airplay which was clear to anyone with half a brain. It has done much better on radio than most will have expected (including me as I don't think the song is that great).
In terms of chart success, it's arguably done as well as any act of Morrissey's era could be expected which is clearly 'not very'. Streaming has changed the dynamics of the singles chart almost beyond recognition. Acts which are far more successful, commercially, than Morrissey are struggling to even get singles into the top 100. U2 only managed 92 with their recent single and Noel Gallagher, 69, with his. Liam Gallagher's just released the third biggest selling album's of the year yet the single stalled outside the top 30. You're expecting and hoping the album to be a big commercial flop. You might still be right but probably best not to read too much into the single's chart position.

Liam sold out his arena tour.....day 1. And 'Heart Of Glass' peaked at #21......FAIL!#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Glass#Charts

Liam sold out his arena tour.....day 1.

Yes, of course he did. Liam's a much more popular act than Morrissey. Several Oasis albums sold over a million - Morrissey is lucky to reach 100,000.
The point I'm making is that Liam's single did pretty badly by conventional terms (stalled outside the top 30 when Oasis singles used to be guaranteed number 1) but his album was still hugely successful. So you'd be wise not to read too much into singles' chart positions.
I've said elsewhere that Morrissey is not an arena act. He didn't even sell out the Manchester Arena when it was his only UK show of the year, and on his most recent arena tour, the venues were mainly half to two thirds full.

It's actually a pretty good chart position for someone of Morrissey's longstanding stature given the streaming/download/airplay nature of the charts that now weigh them in favour of your Ed Sheerans and Taylor Swifts. I can even remember back in the day of the old-style charts That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore only reaching 49. What a TOTAL FLOP that was.

For reference, Beck hasn't has a single chart in the UK for over a decade and that includes anything from the Grammy winning Morning Phase. Bowie's highly publicised Blackstar only got to 61, The Stars Are Out Tonight was 102 and his recent No Plan just reached 92. A new Bob Dylan original hasn't charted here since 2000.

So for an artist of his longevity and age, the record company will be pleased with the performance and promotion. Morrissey singles of old used to be in and out of the chart in a week. This single has performed steadily for weeks now in terms of airplay and downloads and is now no. 1 in the vinyl charts. Which is all rather useful when promoting an album.

And then again, there is always the argument as to whether sales say anything about the quality of a record anyway, especially these days. It certainly doesn't alter what I like or don't like.

Last edited:
Keep clutching at those straws. None of those 'plays' purchased via Big Music muscle have translated into actual sales with music consumers. Harvest were right to get rid of him. I won't be surprised if he's going totally beserk right now as he realises no amount of 'exposure' will persuade anyone outside of his dwindling cult to buy his records. Or concert tickets. It's all brewing up rather nicely!

You are very funny.

I tried to purchase this on Vinyl in the UK via Amazon recently and Amazon stopped it, they only allow streaming....... duh !

Hazard
x

Congratulations, Morrissey. Number One in the vynils is a nice compliment to your beautiful single. And 69 on the total charts is not bad at all. I challenge anyone here to show me a better song in the first 68 songs.

Keep clutching at those straws. None of those 'plays' purchased via Big Music muscle have translated into actual sales with music consumers. Harvest were right to get rid of him. I won't be surprised if he's going totally beserk right now as he realises no amount of 'exposure' will persuade anyone outside of his dwindling cult to buy his records. Or concert tickets. It's all brewing up rather nicely!

Are you allergic to facts?

Thanks to FWD

Well most of us bought it weeks ago so do those sales count towards it? If this is only based on sales for the previous week that is a good result. The single is great I think and I Wish You Lonely too. Can't wait for the album myself.

Thought it didn't make the charts past 2 weeks, so indeed, promotion last week must have given a push to get it in the charts
Happy for a vinyl chart nmbr 1...

Now'sa bout time he adds some european dates, not that I'm going, for fysical reasons,but his beloved Scandinavia and over the North Sea, and Germany Moz army would be very pleased, or summerfestivals switched with gigs

TQID doing very well too, I feel glad that BMG picked Morrissey up, I feared no record deal after the Harvest deal stop, and stopping to sell WPINOYB, would be nice LIHS would chart 1 in the UK.

enjoy the weekend, waving from the Netherlands

Thought it didn't make the charts past 2 weeks, so indeed, promotion last week must have given a push to get it in the charts
Happy for a vinyl chart nmbr 1...

Now'sa bout time he adds some european dates, not that I'm going, for fysical reasons,but his beloved Scandinavia and over the North Sea, and Germany Moz army would be very pleased, or summerfestivals switched with gigs

TQID doing very well too, I feel glad that BMG picked Morrissey up, I feared no record deal after the Harvest deal stop, and stopping to sell WPINOYB, would be nice LIHS would chart 1 in the UK.

enjoy the weekend, waving from the Netherlands

The main thing that pushed it into the chart was its availability as a a physical single (only released last week).

Well most of us bought it weeks ago so do those sales count towards it? If this is only based on sales for the previous week that is a good result. The single is great I think and I Wish You Lonely too. Can't wait for the album myself.

Nope, sales only count for the week when the single is actually bought.

So.....does this mean that he won't have a MASSIVE TANTRUM like wot he did when WPINOYB was a TOTAL FLOP!?

Is #69 a 'hit'?

LOLOLOLOL!

You obviously have no idea how charts work these days. Nobody buys singles, everybody streams -- and in this competition old-timers like Morrissey have no chance, because their listeners wait for the album instead of streaming the single 50 times. Show me a veteran acts who has had a chart hit recently. The lead single from the forthcoming U2 album charted at #92, the Depeche Mode singles have failed to chart and so on. So yes, Spent The Day In Bed is not exactly a hit, but no sane person would expect it to be in this day and age. Morrissey might though.

Definitely his most popular output in a long time,spent seemed to be everywhere at one point,radio tv ,shops,online,i even heard it in Tesco on a Saturday afternoon,thats down to the catchy nature of the song and the part played by bmg who in my opinion have done very well by getting M and the song out there.

It didn't help that a) the vinyl release didn't come out till about 4 weeks after the digital version had been released and played to death everywhere, and b) it was released in very limited numbers, so retailers like Amazon either never had it, or sold out very quickly.

If it had come out on multiple formats with CD as well, and a couple of new studio B-sides, I'm sure it would have done even better. But I suspect these days, the record company don't really care about single chart places - they just see it as promotion for the album. Morrissey, on the other hand, cares a great deal, and will probably be firing off an angry 'my time is now, how could you let this flop'-style letter as we speak.

Yes, of course he did. Liam's a much more popular act than Morrissey. Several Oasis albums sold over a million - Morrissey is lucky to reach 100,000.
The point I'm making is that Liam's single did pretty badly by conventional terms (stalled outside the top 30 when Oasis singles used to be guaranteed number 1) but his album was still hugely successful. So you'd be wise not to read too much into singles' chart positions.
I've said elsewhere that Morrissey is not an arena act. He didn't even sell out the Manchester Arena when it was his only UK show of the year, and on his most recent arena tour, the venues were mainly half to two thirds full.

No, it didn't. It reached #21

You're right. Morrissey isn't an 'arena' act. He doesn't have the stage craft to project his 'persona' in such huge spaces. Given his failure to sell out previous arena dates, it's odd he's repeating that failure this time.

Your argument collapses once Morrissey's obsession with hit singles is factored in. He'll be totally pissed by #69 for STDIB. Let's wait and see if he just calmly accepts he's now a heritage act or goes off on one with some absurd conspiracy theories to 'explain' why his first comeback single is a FLOP!

It's actually a pretty good chart position for someone of Morrissey's longstanding stature given the streaming/download/airplay nature of the charts that now weigh them in favour of your Ed Sheerans and Taylor Swifts. I can even remember back in the day of the old-style charts That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore only reaching 49. What a TOTAL FLOP that was.

For reference, Beck hasn't has a single chart in the UK for over a decade and that includes anything from the Grammy winning Morning Phase. Bowie's highly publicised Blackstar only got to 61, The Stars Are Out Tonight was 102 and his recent No Plan just reached 92. A new Bob Dylan original hasn't charted here since 2000.

So for an artist of his longevity and age, the record company will be pleased with the performance and promotion. Morrissey singles of old used to be in and out of the chart in a week. This single has performed steadily for weeks now in terms of airplay and downloads and is now no. 1 in the vinyl charts. Which is all rather useful when promoting an album.

And then again, there is always the argument as to whether sales say anything about the quality of a record anyway, especially these days. It certainly doesn't alter what I like or don't like.

TJIFA was a FLOP!

Your argument collapses once Morrissey's obsession with hit singles is factored in. He'll be totally pissed by #69 for STDIB. Let's wait and see if he just calmly accepts he's now a heritage act or goes off on one with some absurd conspiracy theories to 'explain' why his first comeback single is a FLOP!

I'd like to see the record company take up your line that 'sales don't say anything about the quality of a record anyway, especially these days'. The usual snobbery that tries to explain Morrissey's commercial failure as the fault of the 'clueless consumers' he railed against in 'Kid's A Looker'.

If Morrissey was prepared to accept he's now just a Smith's Tribute Act, that would be fine. The problem is he still thinks he deserves a #1 single.....but it's fun to monitor his delusions.

Are you allergic to facts?

Thanks to FWD

Brighton [4500 capacity] & RAH [5270] are in line with Morrissey's status as a heritage Smiths Tribute Band act. That's why they've sold out whilst other larger arenas haven't, including Ally Pally.
His last arena tour wasn't a sell-out, nor was his 'homecoming' at Manchester Arena despite the wild claims by delusional 'fans' on this site who were 'allergic to facts'. They still are. Including you.

Liam-Solo sold out an entire arena tour in an hour.....take that 'fact' and stick it up your jumper.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom