"Spent The Day In Bed" chart position (not in UK Top 100 singles)

Just to confirm that 'Spent the Day in Bed' failed to chart in the UK last week. This is the first time a lead-off single from one of Morrissey's albums has failed to crack the Top 100 in the UK ('World Peace' managed to get to #83).

Do you think it might do better next week following the TV coverage on Jools Holland?

I'm not sure the performance of singles matters much. The National recently had a number one album in the UK, and they haven't been in the singles top 100 for over a decade.

Am I right in thinking that the vinyl/CD version of the single hasn't even been released yet?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to release the digital and physical copy's at the same time, to maximise sales in the first week?

Either way I agree I don't think anyone really pays much attention to single chart positions anymore. With the exception of Morrissey and a couple of other bands I don't usually download the singles when they're released. I just wait for the album.

Am I right in thinking that the vinyl/CD version of the single hasn't even been released yet?

There is no CD version announced, but yes - the 7" isn't released until 27th October, which is a very strange marketing decision.

Of course it matters! To Morrissey as he loves the chart and any success!

Just to confirm that 'Spent the Day in Bed' failed to chart in the UK last week. This is the first time a lead-off single from one of Morrissey's albums has failed to crack the Top 100 in the UK ('World Peace' managed to get to #83).

Do you think it might do better next week following the TV coverage on Jools Holland?

It might have entered somewhere in the UK top 200 but I can't afford a fiver to find out.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to release the digital and physical copy's at the same time, to maximise sales in the first week?

Either way I agree I don't think anyone really pays much attention to single chart positions anymore. With the exception of Morrissey and a couple of other bands I don't usually download the singles when they're released. I just wait for the album.

Agreed. Not a knock to anyone who did but why pay for a song when I can just listen to it repeatedly on YouTube until I buy the album. Vinyl makes sense because a large part of his fan base are vinyl collectors but a cd single release just seems pointless. The songs and spent the day in bed have gotten a lot of attention so far which I think bodes well for the album. Spent the day got to 33 on iTunes U.K. Top 100 and hit a high spot on Spotify with the song closing in on 600000 views on YouTube which is good for morrissey. Most of the critics thought well of the song and the comments I've read are all on the majority positive about it

I'm not sure the performance of singles matters much. The National recently had a number one album in the UK, and they haven't been in the singles top 100 for over a decade.

It may not matter to you but it will matter a great deal to Morrissey & to his management/record company. Even with significant television & radio plugging STDIB has simply not registered on listener's radar. Making excuses saying that 'nobody buys singles anymore' is totally irrelevant as the music industry business model has moved on to incorporate streaming data as 'equivalent sales'. Morrissey is nowhere to be seen on the UK Spotify streaming Top 200 either today or for the last week. Alongside the UK Charts this means his new single is a total FLOP & is being ignored by the UK public. It remains to be seen if there will be the same reaction to the next single and the album as a whole. It will be 'interesting' to see how Morrissey responds to this. Will he accept he is now a legacy act for a middle-age 'fan' demographic? Or continue his absurd 'conspiracy theories' that 'they' are somehow trying to stop the UK public from hearing his new music. The UK public has heard his new single. Their reaction is total indifference.

https://spotifycharts.com/regional/gb/weekly/latest

It may not matter to you but it will matter a great deal to Morrissey & to his management/record company. Even with significant television & radio plugging STDIB has simply not registered on listener's radar. Making excuses saying that 'nobody buys singles anymore' is totally irrelevant as the music industry business model has moved on to incorporate streaming data as 'equivalent sales'. Morrissey is nowhere to be seen on the UK Spotify streaming Top 200 either today or for the last week. Alongside the UK Charts this means his new single is a total FLOP & is being ignored by the UK public. It remains to be seen if there will be the same reaction to the next single and the album as a whole. It will be 'interesting' to see how Morrissey responds to this. Will he accept he is now a legacy act for a middle-age 'fan' demographic? Or continue his absurd 'conspiracy theories' that 'they' are somehow trying to stop the UK public from hearing his new music. The UK public has heard his new single. Their reaction is total indifference.

Well, Morrissey was Numero 3 on Spotify's 'Viral Top 50', and then just a few hours later, the "official" Morrissey twitter account tweeted, "Spent The Day In Bed" was featured in @SpotifyUK's 'New Music Friday' ..."
By the way, it is beautiful day, join me for cup of green tea and vegan jaffa cakes. Cheers.

Last edited:

None of the four singles released by New Order to promote 'Music Complete' charted, yet the album is heralded as their best in a very long time. Just thought I'd mention it; I know you are a fan.

whats the point of releasing a single if the aim isn't to get it in the singles chart? it hasn't charted cos its garbage

To create buzz, to get people talking, to get written about, to promote and preview the upcoming album etc. even the smallest most radio unfriendly albums and bands release promo songs with no intentions of it charting or generating money from sales

Charts? Isn't all that a load of crap? The fact that anyone can make an album these days amid the mire of mediocre manufactured manky muck is a miracle in itself. I think I'd be more annoyed if it did chart. That being said, I hope the album sells and Moz gets to do another one. I'd say he'll be looking to make money from touring instead of album sales?

whats the point of releasing a single if the aim isn't to get it in the singles chart? it hasn't charted cos its garbage

It is a unique album, i really like it and it doesn't chart because people are rather stupid and don't understand it. I bet your fav song is about twirking.

None of the four singles released by New Order to promote 'Music Complete' charted, yet the album is heralded as their best in a very long time. Just thought I'd mention it; I know you are a fan.
Damn right. Great album. I love it.

I'd say there are a good few people who would disagree with you there. I don't think its fair to call it garbage. Even if you don't like the tune/melody his voice is on fine form.

Maybe, but the wildlife out my way have heard me singing it a few times while walking my dog and they seem to like it.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom