"Spent The Day In Bed" chart position (not in UK Top 100 singles)

Just to confirm that 'Spent the Day in Bed' failed to chart in the UK last week. This is the first time a lead-off single from one of Morrissey's albums has failed to crack the Top 100 in the UK ('World Peace' managed to get to #83).

Do you think it might do better next week following the TV coverage on Jools Holland?

It's not really odd at all. The new U2 single went in at 93 (or thereabouts), and they are one of the biggest bands on the planet - much more popular than Morrissey. I would always buy a Morrissey single if it came with extra songs - otherwise, as I'm buying the album, there's no point so I haven't. The singles chart is mainly based on streaming and downloads these days (the physical chart usually looks completely different) so the dynamics have shifted massively. In the past, you would have a few weeks of airplay and then the single would be released a week or two before the album (so early November). The airplay is only just building up now, and there will be tons more next week when the UK's biggest station adds the song to their A-list. Had they held back on releasing the song til after then, it would have inevitably charted higher but still way down on how they used to do. It's album sales that determine commercial success these days, and that's looking fairly encouraging at the mo.
OK. Thanks. I'm pretty out of the loop on this stuff. I hate U2 but if they can only manage 93, I'm not surprised Moz couldn't get into the top 100. I heard one week Ed Sheeran got 9 out of the top 10 or something so I guess the singles charts now are pretty weird.

It's not really odd at all. The new U2 single went in at 93 (or thereabouts), and they are one of the biggest bands on the planet - much more popular than Morrissey. I would always buy a Morrissey single if it came with extra songs - otherwise, as I'm buying the album, there's no point so I haven't. The singles chart is mainly based on streaming and downloads these days (the physical chart usually looks completely different) so the dynamics have shifted massively. In the past, you would have a few weeks of airplay and then the single would be released a week or two before the album (so early November). The airplay is only just building up now, and there will be tons more next week when the UK's biggest station adds the song to their A-list. Had they held back on releasing the song til after then, it would have inevitably charted higher but still way down on how they used to do. It's album sales that determine commercial success these days, and that's looking fairly encouraging at the mo.

U2 is pretty much a nostalgia act, they couldn't give away copies of their last album. Have not have a hit in a couple of decades.

There's no UK Singles Top 200 anymore. On the first week it made #90 in Scottish Singles, #87 in Download Singles and #103 Radio Airplay.

In the second week it made #105 Download Singles and #123 Radio Airplay.

So probably just missed the UK Singles Top 100 Chart on its first week.

*Correction*

There's no UK Singles Top 200 anymore. On the second week it made #90 in Scottish Singles, #87 in Download Singles and #103 Radio Airplay.

In the third week it made #105 Download Singles and #123 Radio Airplay.

So probably just missed the UK Singles Top 100 Chart on its second week.

O NO!! NO NO!! Moz missed AGAIN the chart???? HOW can this HAPPEN???:tears:

PEOPLE PLEASE BUY and DOWNLOAD! Ten TWENTY THIRTY TIMES!!

*Correction*
There's no UK Singles Top 200 anymore. On the second week it made #90 in Scottish Singles, #87 in Download Singles and #103 Radio Airplay.
In the third week it made #105 Download Singles and #123 Radio Airplay.
So probably just missed the UK Singles Top 100 Chart on its second week.

Interesting - thanks. Didn't know there was an airplay chart covering beyond the top 100. It'll be top 30 after a week on Radio 2, possibly top 20.

U2 is pretty much a nostalgia act, they couldn't give away copies of their last album. Have not have a hit in a couple of decades.

No hit in a couple of decades? They've had 3 UK number ones since 2000, and another 9 singles in the top 10. Before the last album (which they gave away for free), their most recent albums sold between 5 million and 12 million worldwide. Morrissey's best is 1 million. Like most acts who've been around for decades their sales are in decline, but they're in a completely different league to Morrissey.

who is talking about the UK? you can have a no 1 in the UK selling a couple thousand units.
Im talking the real thing , the US, and U2 has not had a top 1o single in the US in at least two
decades.
Last couple of albums are considered commercial bombs here, and you so will this one coming up.
Moz flamenco songs are better than this new U2 single.:straightface:

Wait for the video Sam is putting together for 'When You Open Your Legs' ! o_O;)

Well if it is about cycling as he said :D, the video of someone opening his legs to get on his bicycle is all we might get.
Come on Sam, you can do better!
A pretty, sexy girl in a cycling outfit, yes? :brows:

Well if it is about cycling as he said :D, the video of someone opening his legs to get on his bicycle is all we might get.
Come on Sam, you can do better!
A pretty, sexy girl in a cycling outfit, yes? :brows:

'video of someone opening his legs to get on his bicycle is all we might get.'

that's too much ! :horny:

'A pretty, sexy girl in a cycling outfit, yes?'

:sleeping:

'video of someone opening his legs to get on his bicycle is all we might get.'

that's too much ! :horny:

'A pretty, sexy girl in a cycling outfit, yes?'

:sleeping:

A gender neutral person perhaps? :squiffy:
Edit:
By way of compromise?

Ouch! Harsh truth indeed

I apologize, sincerely. That was a bit out of character for me. I suppose it stems from a disbelief that an expectation could exist for our Man (I do love him... I do, though not always easy) to be able to top the POP charts with a new single like "Spent the day in bed".

While admittedly a bit catchy after multiple listens, I just can't see how this song would shake an average 16 year old (who doesn't know who Morrissey is... let's be honest) to buy/view/stream/download it in a quantity that could compete with the mainstream "artists" that top the charts in 2017.

When you were 16, how much interest did you have in an artist who was 42 years your senior? Be honest.

They tried giving away copies of their album if you remember, and people were pissed off to have received it. That is too funny to me.

They tried giving away copies of their album if you remember, and people were pissed off to have received it. That is too funny to me.

I just upgraded my iPhone and those songs are STILL on there no matter what I do!

*Correction 2*

There's no UK Singles Top 200 anymore. On the first week it made #90 in Scottish Singles, #87 in Download Singles and #103 Radio Airplay.

In the second week it made #105 Download Singles and #123 Radio Airplay.

So probably just missed the UK Singles Top 100 Chart on its first week.

Its not in the top 100 UK Singles on its third week.

I apologize, sincerely. That was a bit out of character for me. I suppose it stems from a disbelief that an expectation could exist for our Man (I do love him... I do, though not always easy) to be able to top the POP charts with a new single like "Spent the day in bed".

While admittedly a bit catchy after multiple listens, I just can't see how this song would shake an average 16 year old (who doesn't know who Morrissey is... let's be honest) to buy/view/stream/download it in a quantity that could compete with the mainstream "artists" that top the charts in 2017.

When you were 16, how much interest did you have in an artist who was 42 years your senior? Be honest.
No need to apologise - I probably should find a better use of my time than arguing with people I don't know about a 58 year old man I also don't know...

I take your point about the average 16 year old. However, when I was 16 I was listening to a lot of people who were/are (I just Googled their ages and this is quite spooky) almost exactly 42 years my senior: Bob Dylan (43 years older), Brian Wilson (42 years older), Beatles (PM is 42 years older), Lou Reed (42 years older), and of course the man himself who is 25 years my senior. I wasn't too interested in the new material they were releasing, though.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/10/03/hit-song-justin-bieber-royalties/

“YouTube: 34,220,900 spins earned him $218.17. O NO, MOZ only THOUSANDS SPINS!

PEOPLE PLEASE READ!! 218 DOLLARS FOR 34,220,900 SPINS ON THE YOUTUBE!!
Do you know what that MEANS PEOPLE?? Moz probably will not make enough on the SPINS for a trip to PUB!! Moz people listen: YOUTUBE and SPOTIFY are BAD PEOPLE . DONT SPIN BUY.
BUY BUY BUY BUY, CDs and MANY VINYLS!!

BUY TIX even if you dont GO!! BUY SEATTLE TICKETS PEOPLE!

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom