"Spent The Day In Bed" chart position (not in UK Top 100 singles)

Just to confirm that 'Spent the Day in Bed' failed to chart in the UK last week. This is the first time a lead-off single from one of Morrissey's albums has failed to crack the Top 100 in the UK ('World Peace' managed to get to #83).

Do you think it might do better next week following the TV coverage on Jools Holland?

The conspiracy is wider and deeper than Steven first thought! Millions of people are streaming his songs on Spotify but 'they' are pretending that nobody gives a toss about his new single.

It's a crying shame that Steve Barnett isn't getting much airtime/credit for what he did.
He is now totally vindicated for all to see.
Those Lawnmowers look even bigger stupid pricks now with their 4ck Harvest t-shirts that Steve forced them to wear for their wages :thumb:

#things can only get worse in November:eek:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Morrissey will never be mainstream. And there's a part of me that kinda likes that. If there's a band/artist that I like and they suddenly become hugely popular, I tend to go off them a bit. Silly I know. Maybe it's the outsider in me.

You must have hated Morrissey in the late 80's and the 'Quarry' periods, when he was having Top 10 hit singles. I'm glad things are better for you now.

You must have hated Morrissey in the late 80's and the 'Quarry' periods, when he was having Top 10 hit singles. I'm glad things are better for you now.

Lucky for me I didn't become a fan until 2005.

The point is, Morrissey has made it clear that it matters a lot to him. I'm sure most fans don't care at all about his chart position.

I'm fully aware Morrissey HAD an obsession with chart positions but the charts have changed beyond all recognition in the last few years.I think even an old-fashioned codger like Mozzer knows that and has taken it on board. Plus the record is not even out as a physical product. Has it even been officially released?

FYI - a 100 streams/ plays count as one sale for UK chart purposes.

This is fake news :):):):):)

Absolutely love and live for Morrissey, but hate the new single and image for the new LP. Wish his nephew was removed from the picture as it's killing his usually slick imaging.

Morrissey charts highly - "Yay! Go Morrissey! He's still got it!"

Morrissey doesn't chart - "Pfft. The charts are irrelevant"

I used to be fascinated with the charts, making lists of the top ten etc etc. Always the go to person in the pub for pop trivia round. Now I wouldn't have a clue who the number one was, this isnt just an age thing its because the record industry and the Top 40 has changed irrevocably.

No-one f***ing cares anymore about chart positions for singles, much like whats happened to your standard boozer

So World Peace got to the top 100 with no airplay but this didn't? Says a lot. I think the other new songs are stronger.

I'm sure Moz would rather be charting with his singles. Who wouldn't? I think if he and BMG were THAT interested they would have coordinated the release of the single with the vinyl the same day. They would have released the single by itself. That suggests expectations were not high for a high chart placement. It's only a matter of time before an artist's cache in the singles game wanes. Hell even Elton John struggles to chart on the upper regions of the singles charts. Prince barely charted with singles for the last half of his career! Moz was still scoring Top 10s when Prince was old news on the singles market. Madonna is kaputs. What matters is the album sales (but Moz will make much more dosh at shows anyway). I would imagine anything less than a Top 5 Album placement would be a disappointment. I think a Top 5 is a sure thing.

So World Peace got to the top 100 with no airplay but this didn't? Says a lot. I think the other new songs are stronger.

I wasn't around then (newer Moz fan here) but was there a physical singles released to coincide with the "World Peace" debut?

The difference between getting to number 86 or whatever it was and failing to make the top 100 is probably not much. Singles at that sort of chart position are not selling a lot anyway. I don't see any reason to think any of the other songs would have done any better.

What counts is how the album does. Although I wouldn't necessarily rave about the new songs, it does look like it will be a better album than World Peace Is, and it's also had better publicity/marketing (so far, and ignoring the dreadful sleeve). OTOH, what remains to be seen is how much Morrissey's growing image as a far-right pillock will have alienated his core audience since last time round. I'm a little bit curious to find out what the answer to that equation is.

Last edited:
I wasn't around then (newer Moz fan here) but was there a physical singles released to coincide with the "World Peace" debut?

If I remember correctly none of the "singles" had physical releases. They where available to download within a week of each other. Strange strategy but enjoyable at the time.

If I remember correctly none of the "singles" had physical releases. They where available to download within a week of each other. Strange strategy but enjoyable at the time.

There was a limited 12" ep compiling the digital singles, and there were supposed to be some 7" releases, but they were scrapped when Morrissey fell out with Harvest.

It might make the vinyl charts but I don't think there's gonna be a cd single or that one would make a difference to the singles charts. Morrisseys new single has around six hundred thousand views on YouTube while Sam smiths, which was a number one, new song has around sixty seven million since sep 18
Then again there's Craig David's single released 5 days before StDiB, 890k views on YouTube and currently number #28, so not impossible..

I was very surprised today – it was very interesting to me – to see that the 'Spent the Day in Bed' single failed to chart in the UK last week, it would have been in the top position, but as we all know the charts are rigged.

:tiphat:

OTOH, what remains to be seen is how much Morrissey's growing image as a far-right pillock will have alienated his core audience since last time round. I'm a little bit curious to find out what the answer to that equation is.

Here in very liberal Oregon, I just opened up the box office for his Halloween show, selected best ticket, and got orchestra, row H. I've never seen a show of his here A: not sell out within a couple of days, and B: still have tickets in the 8th row available almost a week after going on sale. This is pretty dire looking.

EDIT: And I just went to stubhub to have a look, and the tickets that are on there, most of them are at or BELOW face value. That's craziness.

Here in very liberal Oregon, I just opened up the box office for his Halloween show, selected best ticket, and got orchestra, row H. I've never seen a show of his here A: not sell out within a couple of days, and B: still have tickets in the 8th row available almost a week after going on sale. This is pretty dire looking.

EDIT: And I just went to stubhub to have a look, and the tickets that are on there, most of them are at or BELOW face value. That's craziness.

Still lots of seats for the Seattle show. I guess Diesel will be handing out free tickets the day of the show.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom