Sparks' Ron Mael talks Morrissey collaboration in interview - Nottingham Post

Sparks' Ron Mael talks Morrissey, Cole Porter, French film directors and new album Hippopotamus ahead of Rock City gig - Nottingham Post
Did you know that Morrissey only communicates by fax?

Excerpt:

Sparks on Morrissey
As well as being noted as an influence by artists as diverse as Kurt Cobain, Arcade Fire, Sonic Youth, The Ramones, Björk, Depeche Mode, Abba and Paul McCartney, Sparks have an infamous mutual admiration society with Morrissey. They even wrote a song about him called Lighten Up, Morrissey.

But will their long-mooted album together ever happen?

Ron Mael: “I would really hope that could happen. A few years ago there was more of a movement towards that happening and we tried writing a few songs. Sometimes it’s hard getting a response from him. You don’t get a fax message back (laughs) or anything, which is how he usually communicates.

“But I would really hope that could happen. He’s someone that we really have great admiration for, both musically and lyrically and also for just what he is and conveying who he is through his music.

“It’s something that’s still in our minds. We don’t have any specific plans but it would be a great thing to happen.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting - I never knew that a collaboration was ever considered, let alone writing songs for it. Who would do the lyrics though? As great a lyricist as Morrissey is, Ron Mael is one of the few people who is actually better.

Sparks' Ron Mael talks Morrissey, Cole Porter, French film directors and new album Hippopotamus ahead of Rock City gig - Nottingham Post
Did you know that Morrissey only communicates by fax?

Excerpt:

Sparks on Morrissey
As well as being noted as an influence by artists as diverse as Kurt Cobain, Arcade Fire, Sonic Youth, The Ramones, Björk, Depeche Mode, Abba and Paul McCartney, Sparks have an infamous mutual admiration society with Morrissey. They even wrote a song about him called Lighten Up, Morrissey.

But will their long-mooted album together ever happen?

Ron Mael: “I would really hope that could happen. A few years ago there was more of a movement towards that happening and we tried writing a few songs. Sometimes it’s hard getting a response from him. You don’t get a fax message back (laughs) or anything, which is how he usually communicates.

“But I would really hope that could happen. He’s someone that we really have great admiration for, both musically and lyrically and also for just what he is and conveying who he is through his music.

“It’s something that’s still in our minds. We don’t have any specific plans but it would be a great thing to happen.”

Would be interesting if they came up with some music Moz wanted to use for songs.
But I'm not counting on it.

I don't think Morrissey is the kind of artist who wants to make an album with someone else - as a collaborative project. But he and Meal's brothers have done the Suedehead remix - which is good.

Morrissey's very peculiar man for not allowing his icons get in touch with him.

Yess! Sparks is great! Would be wonderful with MOZ. <3

Yes, I agree.
Even if it was only composing or working together in the studio for a couple of songs! :thumb:

I don't think Morrissey is the kind of artist who wants to make an album with someone else - as a collaborative project. But he and Meal's brothers have done the Suedehead remix - which is good.

Morrissey's very peculiar man for not allowing his icons get in touch with him.

It just sounds like a better idea in concept than it would be in actuality. The last thing we need is Morrissey publically slagging off Sparks over some ill treatment he received whether real or perceived.

A shame. Presumably Sparks ended up working with Franz Ferdinand instead on the FFS project. In another universe, we got a Morrissey & Sparks album and tour. I wonder what they would have called themselves - S&M?

A shame. Presumably Sparks ended up working with Franz Ferdinand instead on the FFS project. In another universe, we got a Morrissey & Sparks album and tour. I wonder what they would have called themselves - S&M?

Well Sparks and FF had been talking of collaborating for several years - it's not as if they couldn't get Morrissey and settled for FF.

Back
Top Bottom