Southpaw Grammar vs Maladjusted

I decided to listen to both of these on a car trip today and discovered I didn't have Southpaw in CD form (SUCH good driving music) so only played Maladjusted. What a fantastic album. I think my favorite song might be Ambitious Outsiders. It got me to thinking that so many of his titles don't recall the chorus, so when these titles are thrown around and discussed on here the song gets forgotten in my confused brain, but the song is brilliant. Am I the only person who experiences this dilemma?

To me 1992-1997 was his prime years.

His live-sets in 1997 and 1999 are just fab.

I`d love to hear him sing

lost
tomorrow
boxers
sunny
alma matters
trouble loves me
now my heart is full
satan has rejected my soul
Do your best and don`t worry

Prime, prime, prime!!!!

I decided to listen to both of these on a car trip today and discovered I didn't have Southpaw in CD form (SUCH good driving music) so only played Maladjusted. What a fantastic album. I think my favorite song might be Ambitious Outsiders. It got me to thinking that so many of his titles don't recall the chorus, so when these titles are thrown around and discussed on here the song gets forgotten in my confused brain, but the song is brilliant. Am I the only person who experiences this dilemma?
I think Your Arsenal and Years of Refusal are great driving albums.

Speeding down the freeway while screaming "YOU'RE GOING TO THE NATIONAL... THE NATIONAL OOOOOOHHHHHH FRONT DISCO", is a lot of fun :guitar:

Last edited:
I think they are really quite similar in quality. Both are saved by the presence on them of some of his best songs (Maladjusted/Satan rejected my soul/Trouble loves me and Southpaw/Reader meet Author), and both are marred (considered as wholes) by a high proportion of weak songs.

I might slightly prefer Maladjusted, but the difference isn't big. They are not his weakest albums (that distinction goes to ROTT and KU for me), but they are certainly a good notch below his best ones.

cheers

Southpaw is THE Morrissey masterpiece. I even like Dagenham Dave:)

I really can't agree. I saw the gig in Chester Arena (ok, sports hall) in 1997 and it lasted barely 45 minutes. 14 songs and 12 of them had been released over the previous 3 years. An artist with Morrissey's back catalogue should have been ashamed to play such a short set.

Simple. I just want to know which album you prefer. Thanks!! :)

To me 1992-1997 was his prime years.

I`d love to hear him sing

lost
tomorrow
boxers
sunny
alma matters
trouble loves me
now my heart is full
satan has rejected my soul
Do your best and don`t worry

Prime, prime, prime!!!!

Great list!! Not so sure on Alma or Trouble though.

Can this site provide polls? Would like to see this topic put to one. Aside from Roy's Keen and Satan, I have to bin Maladjusted, just doesn't meet the standard for me :( SG wins it for me because of the brilliant Southpaw, the OTT Operation!!! :thumb: and Do Your Best, which is the Moz style I prefer more. I think more people prefer Maladjusted at a quick glance?

Great list!! Not so sure on Alma or Trouble though.

Can this site provide polls? Would like to see this topic put to one. Aside from Roy's Keen and Satan, I have to bin Maladjusted, just doesn't meet the standard for me SG wins it for me because of the brilliant Southpaw, the OTT Operation!!! and Do Your Best, which is the Moz style I prefer more. I think more people prefer Maladjusted at a quick glance?

Actually we had Houdini's Top 100 polls recently

Thanks, interesting :)

Southpaw in both standard and reissue

Southpaw Grammar 2 v 0 Maladjusted

Here is a great album:

Maladjusted
Alma Matters
Trouble loves me
Heir Apparent
Lost
Wide To receive
I can have both
Now I am a was
Satan rejected my soul
The edges are no longer parallel

I guess you know Maladjusted was actually going to be called Ambitious Outsiders right?

Here is a great album:

Maladjusted
Alma Matters
Trouble loves me
Heir Apparent
Lost
Wide To receive
I can have both
Now I am a was
Satan rejected my soul
The edges are no longer parallel

I'm glad somebody agrees with me that 'The Edges' is the perfect closer for the album. It'd be on par with Speedway as best album finale.

I'm glad somebody agrees with me that 'The Edges' is the perfect closer for the album. It'd be on par with Speedway as best album finale.

Yes, I agree. For me it's a really fantastic song. My God, Morrissey's penned such a huge amount of gems!

Re: Southpaw Grammar vs. Maladjusted

Both are absolutely brilliant albums.

Southpaw Grammar is excellent too. With the exception of Dagenham Dave, all the songs from that session are great.
No love for Dagenham Dave? I like that song .. a lot!:tears:

Maladjusted is better. In My opinion the best recording he has done production wise, not too slick like Quarry or too thin like Ringleader. Just perfect.

Back
Top Bottom