Southpaw Grammar vs Maladjusted

Maladjusted by a mile.

Maladjusted is better. In My opinion the best recording he has done production wise, not too slick like Quarry or too thin like Ringleader. Just perfect.

I totally respect that - I've never heard anybody call that production 'perfect'. While I respectfully disagree, I still adore the album.

So I wonder, are you totally fine with the cheesy synths on 'Ambitious Outsiders', 'Sorrow Will Come In The End', and 'The Edges Are No Longer Parallel'?

Wouldn't real orchestration, violins, or different synths work better?

I never thought the synths jumped out at me as being fake sounding. Maybe either they did a decent job or I wasn't paying attention much.

Sorrow and ambitious outsiders would be considered low points on the album song wise, but with Alma matters, trouble loves me, maladjusted, wide to receive, roy's keen, ammunition, plus the bsides I can have both, lost, the edges are no longer, heir apparent, now I am I was etc it's a banger.

If you listen closely this album truely showcases Alain's guitar playing, they don't skimp on adding guitars where necessary and Moz's voice is in fine form.

A fun thing to do is compare Moz's english accent on maladjusted to you are the quarry. It was so much stronger sounding on maladjusted

The expanded Southpaw Grammar is my favourite post-Viva Hate Moz album, superb.

The revised running order works brilliantly and musically it's very good too.

Maladjusted is great too, just not as close to perfection, though i don't have the new version of that - wouldn't be the same without Roy's Keane!

Southpaw Grammar is excellent, I don't get why people don't like it- there's only so many soppy little Vauxhall & I-ish songs you can listen to before you need a good f***ing bit of heavy, loud guitar music. The only song I don't like on it is The Teachers Are Afraid...
Morrissey%20-%20South%20Paw%20Grammar.jpg

That's a matter of taste. It is not a factual matter.

I think Southpaw is my favourite out of the two. It may very well be my favourite Morrissey album.

Maladjusted is pretty good. It's not spectacular but it's solid. Decent. And I certainly think the it's best he & his band could've done at the time.

That said, I think Dagenham Dave is a great tune that Morrissey's lyrics simply ruin. And Ambitious Outsiders is one of only two Moz solo songs that I absoutely despise.

Also, I'm not keen on the revised track listing for Southpaw. I like to play the album as a whole in one go & the new version doesn't do it for me in that respect.

So based on original versions, I prefer Southpaw to Maladjusted.
If the only versions I ever knew were the new ones, it would be the other way round.

I think Southpaw is my favourite out of the two. It may very well be my favourite Morrissey album.

Maladjusted is pretty good. It's not spectacular but it's solid. Decent. And I certainly think the it's best he & his band could've done at the time.

That said, I think Dagenham Dave is a great tune that Morrissey's lyrics simply ruin. And Ambitious Outsiders is one of only two Moz solo songs that I absoutely despise.

Also, I'm not keen on the revised track listing for Southpaw. I like to play the album as a whole in one go & the new version doesn't do it for me in that respect.

So based on original versions, I prefer Southpaw to Maladjusted.
If the only versions I ever knew were the new ones, it would be the other way round.

Hahaha with the Maladjusted reissue, you're left wondering why Morrissey couldn't have just done that in the first place :confused:

Hahaha with the Maladjusted reissue, you're left wondering why Morrissey couldn't have just done that in the first place :confused:

Very true. Record companies demand b-sides I suppose.

Although I was a bit put out by Roy's Keen & Papa Jack being taken off.
I really like Papa Jack!

Wide to Recieve just popped up on my MP3 player. Morrissey's voice is great on that song. In fact, his voice is great on the whole of Maladjusted, but Wide to Recieve is a career highpoint.

Southpaw I think is his weakest - partly because of the songs with slight or non-existent lyrics (Dave, Racer, Best Friend) and partly because the two epics sound like unfinished backing tracks for some Boorer & White instrumental album, dressed up with equally unfinished Moz lyrics.
(Imagine if the band had attempted their own particular Long Hello - now that would be something!)
Maladjusted I think is a more satisfying album, overall, than Quarry. Even the lightweights are better IMHO - I'd sooner listen to Alma and Roy than How Could and I Like. But the reissue - (he punches the wall) - I don't care who they are, artists who try to rewrite history by erasing the parts they don't like can go 'n eat shit.

Southpaw I think is his weakest - partly because of the songs with slight or non-existent lyrics (Dave, Racer, Best Friend) and partly because the two epics sound like unfinished backing tracks for some Boorer & White instrumental album, dressed up with equally unfinished Moz lyrics.
(Imagine if the band had attempted their own particular Long Hello - now that would be something!)
Maladjusted I think is a more satisfying album, overall, than Quarry. Even the lightweights are better IMHO - I'd sooner listen to Alma and Roy than How Could and I Like. But the reissue - (he punches the wall) - I don't care who they are, artists who try to rewrite history by erasing the parts they don't like can go 'n eat shit.

This.
After the reading the praises of Southpaw on this thread, I tried listening to it again. I am still left scratching my head at the end of it. Maladjusted was good as originally released and amazing in the new incarnation.

Hmm..Southpaw was intended to have delibarately sparse lyrics, with the emphasis placed the thrust and intensity of the music.
I've always had a soft spot for SG. It was my first Morrissey album and often I think it's my favourite (although I often think the same about several others after a listen). I think the minimal lyrics work well. The genius revealed in the line: 'I could say more...but you get the general idea..'.

I've always loved Maladjusted, though i've never considered it a favourite. I love the guitar sound of the opening track, which is a classic. Alma is a great pop song and should have been a sizeable hit.

Anyway, Southpaw Grammar wins it for me. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom